Tragic Sharm El Sheikh plane crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The effective range of a stinger is 5 miles or 26,000 ft. That can be done by one person and would cover climb to altitude. Point is there are weapons that can reach close to that altitude that are not that large.

Well, I am no expert on such issues, but I do know that Sinai is quite a large area, and parts of it are a hornet's nest with various groups of terrorist (at this point, I think we can assume it is mostly Islamic-based terror organizations? Such as ISIS, Islamic Jihad, Muslim Brotherhood and similar guys).

Then, these guys (the terrorists) have probably got a good assortment of weaponry arriving from Sudan, Yemen, Libia- it doesn't matter if these countries are the source of the weapons or just a proxy through which it is shipped forward from other countries to the terrorists.

Last, there are probably several ways to down a plane that doesn't involve a long range/long altitude surface to air missile. For example, who knows if someone in the ground crew is not a terrorist supporter? I guess the airport screens all the passengers and their luggage- not sure they do the same to all the maintenance, cleaning, fueling, catering etc. etc. there are practically dozens of people with access to the planes. Who knows one of them didn't become an extremist supporter, and helped place a little surprise? A small package placed in the right place can do a lot of damage to an airplane at high altitude (and lots of fuel too).

Problem is, that the same applies for most locals working at the tourist industry. I am only guessing that the police is going to crack down hard on many of the bedouins that work in the tourism industry in Sharm and vicinity.

VERY Sad news.

Egypt is an amazing country- hope they overcome all the difficulties.

By next year there will be an entirely new list of things to fret about. The Rooskies ought to have this little speed bump all ironed out by then.

Or not.

Given that the latest reports seem to point to a bomb on board, I'd be a bit worried about the lack of proper security protocols.

By next year there will be an entirely new list of things to fret about. The Rooskies ought to have this little speed bump all ironed out by then.

Or not.

I'd call a terrorist bombing of a jetliner a bit more than a speed bump if you have plans or are considering diving the red sea in the near future.

I'd call a terrorist bombing of a jetliner a bit more than a speed bump if you have plans or are considering diving the red sea in the near future.

Considering the nature of the downing (high possibility that an airport employee planted the bomb) I am very much surprised that no major EU airlines halted their flights.

Some have halted flights to Sharm. In general the Red sea vacation spots are otherwise considered safe. Many airlines might divert around the Sinai, esp. north Sinai though.

I'm still planning to go to Hurghada in late Nov.

Some have halted flights to Sharm. In general the Red sea vacation spots are otherwise considered safe. Many airlines might divert around the Sinai, esp. north Sinai though.

I'm still planning to go to Hurghada in late Nov.

If it is a liveaboard with a random group you might want to see if the sailing is still confirmed. Things seem to be heating up with ISIS attacking civilians. Jetliners now Paris.

Back
Top Bottom