Tragic Sharm El Sheikh plane crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I sure hope this turns out to be a mechanical issue that caused this tragedy. I will be following this closely, as I have a trip next summer. Anyone else concerned?

Saw that news item this morning and figured someone would bring it up on SB. From what I read, it sounds like they do not suspect foul play. It was some kind of Russian budget/charter airline, wasn't it? Not the kind of airline I would fly.

On my front page news article it said some fighters of some local ISIS militant group were claiming they were able to down a russian jet but it has not been verified. If this turns out to be the case I think I may have to cancel.

Russian passenger plane carrying 224 crashes in Sinai | Fox News

---------- Post added October 31st, 2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

Apparently Lufthansa and Air France have suspended all flights in the area so the concern is real. Isn't the Red Sea like the European version of our Caribbean as far as cost and travel ease?

Tragedy...
Hardly IS as they don't have equipment necessary to down a plane from 9000m altitude. Unless there was a bomb on board. But unlikely as pilot announced technical problems and according to flight radar plane changed course for Cairo to perform emergency landing.

Tragedy...
Hardly IS as they don't have equipment necessary to down a plane from 9000m altitude. Unless there was a bomb on board. But unlikely as pilot announced technical problems and according to flight radar plane changed course for Cairo to perform emergency landing.

I'm not sure. They sure got a lot of US hardware in Libya and Iraq.

Personally, I would not alter any travel plans until more is known about this incident. Based on preliminary press reporting, it seems that "technical difficulties" may have caused the crash. We just came back from Sharm a couple of weeks ago, and we had no security concerns while there.

I will definitely wait to cancel. But I imagine this will still impact tourism just by ISIS claiming the crash whether factual or not. If those 2 major airlines have suspended travel it has already impacted tourism to some degree.

Damage could be inflicted during the climb to altitude which would lead to more problems later. Not in any way saying that happened or is likely to happen. Just pointing out that there is a vulnerable period. But as noted earlier the safety record of budget Russian airlines is not known to be stellar.

According to FT the pilot reports of difficulties are false. That begs more questions as to why Egyptian authorities lied in the first place.

To shoot down aircraft that high requires missiles and equipment that shot down MH17, if ISIS did manage to acquire such a vehicle it would have been blown up long ago .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The effective range of a stinger is 5 miles or 26,000 ft. That can be done by one person and would cover climb to altitude. Point is there are weapons that can reach close to that altitude that are not that large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom