What to bring for Sharm El Sheikh diving in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guillm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings. I'm headed to Egypt in early April. Will be diving in Sharm El Sheikh area April 11th to 15th. Lodging at Four Seasons and diving with their in-house dive shop, Sinai Blues. Questions: Considering the time of year, what things should I be sure bring for the dives? We will be renting BCD's and tanks from dive shop. From my understanding they have RIBs that take divers to the sites. Would a good windbreaker be a good idea? Also, which dives should I be sure not to miss? Thanks in advance for your help.

[...] From my understanding they have RIBs that take divers to the sites. Would a good windbreaker be a good idea? [...]
I may have it wrong, but if you head to the dive sites on RIBs (aka Zodiacs), you will be fully geared up. Unless you want to wear your windbreaker over your dive suit, it won't make sense.
What will make sense, is some ear and head protection, either against wind or against sun. The infamous JYC red wool cap will look sharp but only protect the top of your head. I use to have one of these multifunctional neckwear you can use in different styles.

Hello!
As others have pointed out, you'll need a full 5mm wetsuit minimum.

Ras Mohammed and Tiran offer the best sites within reach of Sharm via day boats. The wreck of the Thistlegorm is a longer journey requiring a very early start and it's typically only offered when enough divers are interested. If diving this wreck is on your bucket list, I'd contact Sinai Blues and enquire before your trip. If they have no scheduled Thistlegorm dates and it's an absolute must for you, you'll still have time to talk to other operators.

While I have no personal experience of them, I believe Sinai Blues operate some of the fastest RIBs in Sharm which allows them to offer single-tank dives to Tiran, for example. Or so I've heard.

They probably expect divers to kit up before setting off. For 2-tank dives, there'll probably be a surface interval spent on the RIB and the wind-chill factor might be a nuisance. It wouldn't surprise me if some dove in dry suits. Definitely pack a good hat.

A warm fleece will likely be necessary in the evening. This is the desert and it still gets chilly in April once the sun has set.

Enjoy your trip!

You also need a 5mm suit
Personally I would bring a drysuit, expect water temps 23C or below.

Back
Top Bottom