Traffic violation courtesy ticket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Like Abraham Lincoln said, "don't believe everything you read on the internet" That said, this appears to be a traffic regulation on the books. Although I tell my clients in the US, you will never win an argument with an officer on the side of the road, this is interesting.

This Can Get You Out of a Traffic Ticket When Visiting Cancun or the Riviera Maya

And

Traffic Regulations, Fines, and Bribes in Quintana Roo - MexLaw

This might work in certain circumstances...or might make the situation worse. Your call. Please don't be the drunk, mouthy, sunburned, entitled, tourist, waving a printed regulation around and loudly telling the Mexican Officer what he can and can't do while trying to defend your friend....with a jersey accent...on a scooter...wearing a sombrero....barefoot...on your way back to the cruise ship... Don't be that girl

Safe travels,
Jay

Thanks! That's a "must print."

Interesting! Wonder if anyone's used it successfully yet.

Most people I know carry these for the same purpose:
download (17).jpeg

Cameron

Interesting! Wonder if anyone's used it successfully yet.

Most people I know carry these for the same purpose:
View attachment 460195

Cameron
Lol...that's funny right there! And probably much much more effective!
Lol, snort, lol

Jay

I’m with Cameron lol

Those tend to encourage even more incidents of being pulled over for trivial or non-existent infractions.
Agreed. I've of yet not needed to pay any bribes in my travels... Sometimes it's cost upwards of 3 hours of my time several times crossing borders. I can appreciate why some people prefer to slip someone 10$ and go about their day.

Cameron

Act like you don't speak spanish and are too dumb to know a bribe is expected. After awhile they let you go.

I think there is a key translation issue that makes this not a get out of jail free card: "La Sanción de Cortesía es aplicada hasta en dos ocasiones al mismo vehículo y/o conductor y no procede en los casos de actos y omisiones graves contrarios a lo que dispone el presente Reglamento."

That means that it is "applied on up to two occasions" and not that it is required to be applied on the first two occasions. They can let you off, up to two times, for something minor, but they don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom