Tracking Great Whites on the Atlantic Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting. I thought Gulf Stream water was warmer than what GW sharks like.

Off to google offshore water temps seasonally along the east coast.

Thanks for posting.

They're also found off Hawaii and other warm water locations although, of course, they can dive to deeper depths where the water is colder. The preference for cold water, at least at certain points in their migration route, may be a function of their eating marine mammals.

As a surfer, I primarily surf breaks in NJ and Virginia Beach. I know they are out there.

Many myths regarding the aversion of Great Whites to warm water are suspected to be tied to the availability of food. With the rise of the seal population in Hawaii, researchers have found more great whites. It may have been that while many such prey items as the monk seal had been slaughtered to numbers that wouldn't sustain adequate hunting, the sharks weren't lingering in Hawaii long enough to be as apparent. Plus, the numbers of the Great White population may be lower than scientists believed. It's also suspected that sharks (even warm water sharks) may use deeper, colder water to cool off while hunting. I just watched a documentary on Discovery on demand about that, but because it was Discovery, I don't know it that fact about temperature regulation is science or just a theory without any supporting data.

Whatever the reason, many species of sharks will prefer to hunt in areas in which drop off's allow them to return to deeper waters and stalk the shallows, sometimes, repeating the process of cruising between deep water and shallow water over the course of a single night.

We see alot of White Sharks off the Georgia coast during the Right Whale migrations in the spring/early summer months. Sharks follow food, and young whales are an easy target.

Carolyn:shark2:

One of the largest GWs on record was a female caught in August 1983 off Prince Edward Island (Canadian North Atlantic) coast. It measured 6.1 metres (20.3 ft). Several other large GWs have also been caught in Atlantic Canada waters. Food is abundant.

Very cool. I think they tagged a couple sharks in the same area last year. I would be curious to see the track for the other ones too.

That’s about right as we saw a great white on the Gulf Hustler in October a couple years ago. They must keep a tight schedule ;-) I highly recommend running into one under water; it really gets the heart rate up!

Scott

Back
Top Bottom