Tourist, Left Behind On Fiji Dive Trip, Swims 12 Hours For Land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is a Discover Scuba, why take four inexperienced people into the water? If it is a DS dive, wouldn't the DM and boat captain be responsible for the divers? I could not imagine doing a night dive for a discovery dive. It seems that there is plenty of stupidity to be shared. It just goes to show that having a tank of air and a regulator doesn't make you Jacques Cousteau.:wink:

It is good that all worked out, but doesn't build much confidence in having DM's show you a dive site that you have never seen before.

Different places different rules. no DSMB here would 100% guarantee you wont be picked up after the dive so would go missing so you aren't allowed on unless you have one. Regardless of that anyone diving without any form of visual signalling aid its entirely their own fault if they get lost. Boats aren't 100% reliable, neither are currents or anything else - you cant absolutely rely on everything going right.
I'd like to take this opportunity to share an experience I had on the last dive trip.
It was our last dive of the trip. We started the boat dive in good conditions. Late morning, calm surface and little or no current.

When we completed the dive, we surfaced in an angry storm. Heavy rain that was stinging our faces, moderate swells, poor viz (surface 20m?). Best thing was the boat was no where to be seen. (I didn't blame the boat if it had to leave to seek calmer waters)

I'd open this to anyone to suggest what was the appropriate thing to do now.

I'm only raising this to emphasize the point that divers should consider whether they're prepared to wait anywhere from 30min to 12hrs (like Mr. Holz) for a pick up.

p.s Fortunately the boat was still in the vicinity, we got picked up in 10min+. Later found out the current carried us over 200m from our surface point.

Wow, Wilde - sounds like a thrilling ending to a dive trip. I don't agree with "I didn't blame the boat if it had to leave to seek calmer waters," and glad it didn't abandon you.

What did you have for signaling?

On the boat... if they had to leave I'd understand. On another trip, weather was so bad the boat, a sturdy boat about the size of a yacht was tilting 45degrees! That was scary.

For signalling, we had 2 SMBs deployed, 2 whistles, and 2 torches. It puzzles me why my DM didn't have a torch though, he had to borrow mine.

In this scenario, just made sure BCs were all inflated so we could ride the waves. Masks were on... it really took some sting out from the rain. Told my dive buddy to just relax and not fin too much (avoid cramps), held on to his BC to avoid separation.

Recovery was abit rough, we had to fight abit of current to get into position and relied on a tow line to get us close to the boat. So I'm glad we didn't waste too much energy before the boat arrived.

And yes, it was definitely thrilling!

DMs and Insts seem to carry the least possible. "It'll never happen to me." One of the reasons I carry a Jon line to to tie BCs together if we have to float long, especially in bad conditions like those.

Back
Top Bottom