Unknown Tourist dead, Dive Master Ill - Ambergris Caye, Belize

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can happen with any compressor that does not have an inline CO monitor with automatic shut off - the vast majority. Test every tank everywhere.
This would be a good time to start an updated thread about what CO testers are currently available and which ones are best suited for testing scuba tanks.

@DandyDon - which CO detector do you use?

Agreed. Can you recommend a CO analyzer for an individual?
They don't make the Analox CO or the Cootwo anymore and mine have expired. I'm getting by with a Sensorcon and gallon zip locks. That method isn't especially accurate but it'll keep you from getting hurt.

I just googled and found that Dive Gear Express sells one.

ETA: Oxycheq sells one, too, but it's out of stock.

rx7diver

I just googled and found that Dive Gear Express sells one.

ETA: Oxycheq sells one, too, but it's out of stock.

rx7diver

The Palm looks great but expensive and the sensor is $215 every two or three years. These things should be standard at every dive op.

This is very concerning. We dove with Ambergris Divers in January, and had a great experience. The dive operation and crews were excellent. We are planning to return this Saturday for another week of diving. We would like an update, too. Wondering if we should cancel.

The chances of another hit after this episode is slim. You have three choices: 1. Go on your merry way and dive, 2. cancel or 3. get a co analyzer, learn to use it, and use it.

if you have a flow restrictor setup, you could just use the calibration cap. if you have the oxycheq style O2 analyzer, you could use the same restrictor for both

1719424265374.png

just fyi, these are import iirc is how they are able to keep the price this low. the difference is they bump test the sensors to check accuracy. you can do the same if you have access to bump/cal gas.

you can get a generic import 4 gas that does CO and O2 for about 80 bucks off amazon and less off aliexpress or temu

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom