Unknown Tourist dead, Dive Master Ill - Ambergris Caye, Belize

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rescuer was cool as a cucumber but I can't help thinking that a direct ascent, possibly even a positive one, without stop could have made a difference to the outcome. DCS risk is very low on this profile, AGE is possible when positive but when the breathing gas is potentially toxic I want to be on the surface.
I don't think in this case it was a "safety stop" Nothing safe about it. If there are other over-riding emergencies, the stop is, well, an un-safe stop.

Diving within a recreational profile, there is NEVER a mandatory stop en route to surface. The stop is just icing on the cupcake.

Oh, and I was filming the entire dive and so was the victim. However, my GoPro was (apparently) cut off my BCD metal retractor (attached to a D ring) and deceased’s camera appeared to have no stored media.
THIS RIGHT HERE should be enough to bring charges against the Operator... And 3 hours is plenty of time to swap tanks. Maybe I am just jumping to conclusions, but this extra detail really makes me believe that the owner is trying to cover it up.

I am also from the same area as the deceased, and have an indirect connection to him. This is terrible :(

I’m posting this with the permission of the author, who posted this detailed account on FaceBook (Scuba Accidents forum). Out for a planned dive with experienced friends and local guides, the day turned terrible, and she had to work through a nightmare series of events. She’d be high on my list of who to be with in a crisis, but of course is very upset about what happened.

From here on is verbatim from her post:

Hello, I was recently a dive rescuer during an otherwise within limit recreational dive.

I’d like to present facts and the linear order of operations to this group for purposes of improved learning and possible root cause analysis.

However, I want to ensure I am also following group rules.

Here are the highlights:

1 diver lived - 5’8” 185lbs, male, Belizean, CPR resuscitation performed by myself. I had been diving with this DM all week.

1 diver deceased - 5’ 9” 180 lbs, US citizen, drowning with what appears to be precedent related to some form of extensive atrial bleeding (embolism or other) w/acute bleeding (oral) during CPR.

We were members of a 14 person dive group traveling together from Kansas for a scheduled week of diving

(Sunday - Thursday.)
Sunday 2 dives,
Monday 3 dives, (last is a night dive)
Tuesday 2 dives
Wednesday 3 dives
Thursday 2 dives = total package.

Our last “add on” dive was Friday morning, I.e. one final private dive with four advanced divers. Three divers, all US Nationals, 1 Belizean DM, accompanied by 1 boat captain an and 1 crew observer.

Same dive company used the whole time.

Max depth of all divers on this specific Friday am dive (first dive) = 68 ft.

Average dive depth 35 ft.

Total Dive time 22 mins.

2 US divers (both ended up as rescuers).

- One male diver on nitrox (6’4” 235 lbs), and
- One female diver on regular 21% compressed air ((me))

Max dive time: 28 mins for last rescuer by

Belizean Dive master - my buddy, I am AOW and deep diving certified. Belizean DM and our dive leader (dual roles, with 8000 dives) is diving on Nitrox. I am on regular compressed air.

Two other Americans - are dive buddies. Both on Nitrox. One of them is also a certified dive master w/enriched air cert. Other was an advanced OW diver w/enriched air cert. Both had dive together on other group dive trips.

I was the general newbie to the your group, who otherwise often travel together.

Nitrox for US DM and other US AOW diver registers 35%.

Note 1: 02 Meter was new. Belizean DM was struggling to open box and work the new meter.

Note2: I didn’t see Belizean DM measure his own nitrox tank, specifically.

Should have been a wonderful dive.

Turned into a nightmare.

Belizean lead Divemaster became ill at approximately 10 mins into dive. 48 ft depth after a quick 68 ft swim through where he seemed to become confused about how to exit (it was right above his head). I was following him and had to redirect him.

About 4 mins later, he signaled he was not feeling well . Confused. Wobbly hands. I slowly approached and then, after assessing his physical form, breathing, and level of panic (none), made a decision to approach (about 5-7 kicks away) and initiate a rescue hold. Suggested Emergency ascent. He agreed.

No signal from either of the two other Nitrox divers. The two that were the other two buddies, both also diving in Nitrox. One was behind me but, I could clearly see the US DM. At my 11:00 🕚 position as I was facing my buddy.

I then signaled/asked US DM to swim over to help me manage our lead Belizean DM. I wanted help in case he panicked and tried to touch my gear. Our DM was admittedly cognitively struggling. Unwell, dizzy, cognitive repetition signals over and over again, then, he signaled he had an impacted/loss of vision.

Belizean DM had initially Initiated emergency ascent by trying to launch his DBSM. It failed miserably. Not enough air. He had trouble controlling the reel. I quickly took it over from him.

Then, up we went: 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15 ft slow and steady. No issues on ascent.

Agreed to safety stop (3 mins). Belizean DM Breathing regular; however, I didn’t like his eyes (both dilated) and overall decreasing loss of body balance. Lips turning whitish. Somewhat flaccid and uncontrollable body posture. Couldn’t stay upright. I indicated to other US DM who was helping me that we likely needed to abandon safety stop. We were at 2.5 Mins.

Fourth diver was meantime following us slowly on the way up. Behind me but, his US DM buddy could see portions of him behind me, and verified he was tracking slowly with our ascent.

I was acutely focused on Belizean DM. Other US-AOW diver behind me never signaled distress to his buddy otherwise or approached us to offer assistance with the Belizean DM

Prior, about 2 mins in I had previously noticed the other (US- AOW) diver floating on what appeared to be the surface of the ocean 15 ft vertically above us. As if he’d fully surfaced. I assumed he had cut his SS short, due to the overall quick nature of the dive, the fact he was diving on nitrox, and the fact we’d been fending off an 8 ft nurse shark interested in any speared lion fish. I also figured he was planning to hand signal to the free floating dive boat, since our DMSB had been poorly inflated by our Belizean DM and likely was not standing up visibly out of the water. (~ 4 ft waves).

My Belizean DM then had his eyes roll back in head. I immediately signal I’m going up ASAP from 15 ft with 30 seconds left on SS. At that time, I look behind me and now the fourth diver is now gone. I look down and see him laying face down on reef below us not moving. I scream into my reg/signal other rescuer (US DM) to notice/see the other diver. He immediately proceeds down to retrieve him.

I take Belizean DM to surface. He seizes and stops breathing. I initiate rescue tow and swim towards boat while yelling at them to come over closer. Dump DM’s mask/gear, give rescue breaths and lifeguard tow him to boat. Stop for two more rescue breaths due to distance. Get DM on boat. O2 not working/or assembled. I am already doing CPR on DM. No AED available on boat. No nitroglycerin or other meds either. CPR only. I resuscitate after approximately 2.5 minutes. Obtain weak pulse and what feels like a normal sinus rhythm and acceptable regular respiratrate, but DM remains unconscious.

Other diver is retrieved. I immediately start CPR. Oral Foaming, blood flow (appears atrial in color), liters of sea water (apparent drowning) and pinpoint (hypoxia) pupils are visually evident. Continue CPR for 45 mins until we reach dock.

Boat engine breaks on way back in. Going 1/2 speed. I’m yelling in frustration while continuing CPR and trying to run the code.

Ambulance waiting. No meds available dockside. No intubation, AED does not work correctly. I continue CPR. We load patient into ambulance.

Trauma team waiting for us upon arrival. Diver declared non responsive (code is called at 10:06 am) at hospital.

I’ve lived a nightmare. Simply devastated.

- Bad air? CO or CO2 air tank contaminants come to mind as contributing risk factors.
- 02 tox hit from too much repetitive diving with some form of a MOD violation? Perhaps,triggered by our quick dip/swim through at to 68 feet? Hard to say….

Oh, and I was filming the entire dive and so was the victim. However, my GoPro was (apparently) cut off my BCD metal retractor (attached to a D ring) and deceased’s camera appeared to have no stored media.

Police asked me to try and look at deceased’s camera (was in pocket of his BCD) since I have the same SeaLife camera, in addition to owning a GoPro. It was empty, no videos or pictures.

Note: All equipment was delivered from dive shop owner to police about three hours post dive accident…..

Here’s the article. It’s not entirely accurate but, you’ll get the picture….it was a horror show. I’m seeking grief therapy because I’m so distressed by what happened.

Please be kind. I want to learn. I was planning to do my rescue diver certificate next. I’m 55 and have 240 dives. My daughter is a DM/Instructor and I have shared my love of diving with her since she was 14. She has tried to make me feel better but, this nevertheless was a tough event to live through. I was also a lifeguard and a medic during my college years. This training certainly came in handy at some level.
Thank you for sharing this information. Like you, I want to learn. My heart is broken for everyone involved. Thank you for all you did to help save lives.

I've been to Ambergris Caye twice and made many dives there. This is very unnerving.

"The operator is Ambergris Divers."

We leave Sunday and are planning to dive with them. This will be our first trip to Belize and we are staying at SunBreeze.

Any other details heard? How awful for the man who died and his family - and I hope the others are ok/recovered.
This is shocking. They ran a super-professional operation when we were there in January.

This potential cover-up makes me very uncomfortable.

The diver who perished was not the DM the author was assisting. The DM recovered fully, to my understanding. The author and DM had agreed to (and executed) an emergency, but controlled, ascent, then aborted the safety stop when he lost consciousness (and was subsequently revived).

The deceased diver was noted to be on the surface before the author and the DM, but then dropped back down, and on recovery was found to have drowned.
I'm aware. But didn't that person first indicate they were unwell? If so making them positive to get them topside should have made their return to the bottom and subsequent drowning a lot less likely.

This is very concerning. We dove with Ambergris Divers in January, and had a great experience. The dive operation and crews were excellent. We are planning to return this Saturday for another week of diving. We would like an update, too. Wondering if we should cancel.

This is very concerning. We dove with Ambergris Divers in January, and had a great experience. The dive operation and crews were excellent. We are planning to return this Saturday for another week of diving. We would like an update, too. Wondering if we should cancel.
It can happen with any compressor that does not have an inline CO monitor with automatic shut off - the vast majority. Test every tank everywhere.

Thank you for your detailed account of events. I'm sorry for what you had to endure, but it sounds like they were lucky to have you.

It can happen with any compressor that does not have an inline CO monitor with automatic shut off - the vast majority. Test every tank everywhere.

Agreed. Can you recommend a CO analyzer for an individual?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom