Unknown Tourist dead, Dive Master ill - Ambergris Caye, Belize

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CO2 meter from Forensics Detectors has proven to be a reliable tool in my setup.
Do you mean CO or CO2? Big difference. CO2 is nor very dangerous as long as enough O2 is present.

Do you mean CO or CO2? Big difference. CO2 is nor very dangerous as long as enough O2 is present.
Two percent CO2 stimulates the desire to breathe. A greater percentage can cause, breathlessness, panic, and even heart attack. Ask a CCR diver! I've had a CO2 hit, thank you. I was still on the boat. Channeling in the scrubber is the reason so many CCR divers die from a coronary event.

This is from the Undercurrent article quoted a few pages ago, and I would like to know why this is true:

It's more likely that the nitrox mix is suspect. This can happen especially if the nitrox is made
by partial pressure blending (when neat 02 is added to a tank and then
topped up with air) rather than de-nitrogenizing air through a membrane system.

Does gas mixing this way throw off the analyzer?
Why would it?

Two percent CO2 stimulates the desire to breathe. A greater percentage can cause, breathlessness, panic, and even heart attack. Ask a CCR diver! I've had a CO2 hit, thank you. I was still on the boat. Channeling in the scrubber is the reason so many CCR divers die from a coronary event.
I still think he meant CO.

I still think he meant CO.

He who?

CO2 can cause panic attack. It won't kill you, the panic will make you kill yourself.

CO will kill you because there is no panic attack and the first sign of something being wrong is you keeling over.

“Those concerned about the incident first speculated that perhaps the air in the diving tanks was contaminated. According to the police, the equipment (including tanks) was checked, and there was no evidence of contamination.”

Still no disclosure of what happened to Mr. Hughes or the dive guide. The article implies coincidence; surely the dive op could at least say what happened to its employee, even if the cause of Mr. Hughes’s death is not public record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom