Tough Mudder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Has anyone ever worked as a Rescue Diver for the Tough Mudder race?

Where would you work? The ones I have done I just have gone through a shallow stream and at the end into a pit of water. Where is a rescue diver required? Even if there is a body of water wouldn't someone like a lifeguard be all that is used?

There is some obstacle with a plank where people fall into water deeper than 5 feet.

Dangerous enough that someone died in one of these pools (failed to surface). Don't know the details but you can find it on google.

When I did the Tough Mudder about 4 years ago there was and obstacle that you climbed and then jumped from a 15ft platform into 10-15ft of brown muddy water, swam to the other end and climbed a cargo net out of the pit. There were safety divers in the water under the platform in case someone didn't surface. A bit of time after I did mine a kid drowned on that obstacle. I dare say it isn't on the course anymore.

There is a video out there of a rescue diver taking 5 minutes to get dressed while a victim was under that muddy watter. Since that time they require divers either in the water or at least fully dressed with fin tips in the water. Ive done the the job 3 times so far. The experience is very weather dependant. In the midwest it can be hot, cold, windy or wet, but will be muddy regardless. Sitting in gear for long periods wet or dry without moving does get old. It is entertaining to watch and they pay promptly. The work is easy but can be uncomfortable but with travel, prep and lots of cleaning made for a long day. Each time I figured it was my last.

Has anyone ever worked as a Rescue Diver for the Tough Mudder race?
I haven't worked as one. But, I have been a Tough Mudder participant, and well remember trotting out on the 15' platform and jumping in the water. And, I talked to the 'rescue diver' afterward. The water was 0 viz - literally, it was one of those moments when you really wonder (after you jump in) if you are actually positively buoyant and are going to rise, and are momentarily unsure of whether to kick or not, because you are disoriented as to your orientation (vertical, inverted, horizontal).

The diver and I chatted briefly as I exited the water afterward - he was positioned on the edge of the pit - and talked about how hard it would be for him to find someone who DIDN'T come back up. :)

Well, the water starts out clear, so hopefully you are a fast runner!

I'm not sure why they want rescue divers. It would seem to me that a lifeguard or snorkel gear would be sufficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom