Tough choice: $ummer job in NY (near Lake George) vs. regular job in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a freelance catering chef. I've lived in FL most of my adult life and the work here will actually pay more on an hourly basis and be easier. I can gross more and improve my resume a bit with the summer gig at a camp in NY where I won't have much free time.

On the other hand I can stay in my own home, do the work I'm used to, and have plenty of time to dive Florida.

I'm really on the fence at this point and it would have made my decision easier to hear encouraging things about diving up north. I will probably take the summer job but giving up a Florida summer of diving is the biggest con.

your profile says you are 59 years old... I think you should be able to figure out what matters....
Well I guess that's what I get for soliciting opinions from anonymous strangers on the internet.

A summer on Lake George will be awesome, just not for diving. Have you ever seen how crazy for summer New Yorkers are after the long winter? Out come all the toys! The traditional culture of "cottages" is not to be missed. Have you ever gone "sunsetting" with a cocktail in an antique wooden boat, and learned the special wave these boaters give each other? Have you had breakfast cooked on a wood fired stove after jumping in a brisk and misty steaming lake at 6AM for your morning shower? Eaten pan fried bass you caught today? Gone skinny dipping at midnight with tipsy debutantes, young heirs apparent and ancient WASP grandmas who bathe in cold water into their 80's? Have you gone "gunny-bobbing" on a canoe? Waterskied behind a sleek powerboat? Laughed as you capsized a Laser? Frankly the diving will suck, don't even bother bringing your gear. Florida will wait, but meanwhile, you will be "summering" on Lake George.

Wow!, your description of New England-type activities is spot-on and sounds better than the real life of those actually living there. Excellent work. The only minor difference is that I've never capsized a Laser, the Hobie Cat was my preference. It disassembled nicely to be stored in the basement of the cottage for winter.

Wow!, your description of New England-type activities is spot-on and sounds better than the real life of those actually living there. Excellent work. The only minor difference is that I've never capsized a Laser, the Hobie Cat was my preference. It disassembled nicely to be stored in the basement of the cottage for winter.
Oh, the Hobie Cat was FAST! And very pretty sails. I never got to sail one but they sure look fun. Unfortunately the last time I sailed a Laser I realized as I nursed my bruises that tumbling across deck and hardware in my grown up body was not as much fun as agilely hoping over onto the centerboard in my teenage body ;-(

Sadly, I think I'm dating myself a bit. The Hobie was popular in the 80's, which was the last time I was on it. I think there is much faster out there, now that boats are designed on computers.:) We also used to have coconut oil sun tan lotion or Ban de Soliel in SPF 2, along with cigarettes, lobster and chardonnay. Times were different.

Sadly, I think I'm dating myself a bit. The Hobie was popular in the 80's, which was the last time I was on it. I think there is much faster out there, now that boats are designed on computers.:) We also used to have coconut oil sun tan lotion or Ban de Soliel in SPF 2, along with cigarettes, lobster and chardonnay. Times were different.
Well we can still enjoy lobster... oh I remember the smell and orange look of that Ban de Soliel; I think it dyed the skin a bit. I miss believing the ritual first sunburn was "good" for you.

For a summer you can enjoy NY, a lot nicer than FL heat. If you were asking about a permanent move and diving, I would say you are better off in FL. You can dive all winter when you are done with Great Lakes diving and the water will be clearer and you’ll have mistake it for heaven.

NE diving will make you a much better diver.

Yeah, so this was a tough one. Lots of pros and a few significant cons to the summer position. Hearing great things about diving NY would have made it an easier decision, but the fact that there is at least some interesting diving nearby is enough to rationalize throwing my hat in the ring for this position.

Thanks to almost everyone who offered advice! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom