Tough choice: $ummer job in NY (near Lake George) vs. regular job in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can work a good paying summer job in Hunter NY that would be good for my resume from early May through mid September. Thing is I'll miss all of the nice diving in FL which I've been looking forward to.

Lake George looks nice, but at home I'm surrounded by crystal clear springs and only a few hours from Jupiter/West Palm, etc. Keep in mind that I just got certified last July so I'm hot to trot.

If anyone can sell me on the great diving near NY it would make my (right) decision easier. :(

NY > Orlando Round trip $138 > Jet Blue
Take the New York job, cause Florida wages.

Lake George is pretty unique. As far as New England diving is concerned (even though New York isn't considered part of New England.) There are some really strong thermoclines in the lake. Visibility can range from 20 to 60ft pending rain and boat traffic. It is also extremely deep in parts. A lot of local shops do their technical classes here as there are 200ft walls and such. It also has the Radeau or land tortoise. Which is a federal heritage site. It is the oldest war shipwreck known in North America I believe. And it extremely well preserved. The areas around lake George can be costly as you get a lot of City folk that travel there for the summer. But you can find reasonable areas to stay if you don't mind a short drive.

If you are traveling to do diving related work at Lake George, bring a drysuit and some warm undergarments. You will need them. Bottom is usually 38-40f. And anything deeper than 120 is extremely dark.

your profile says you are 59 years old... I think you should be able to figure out what matters....

FWIW - I'm a lifetime resident of "the real upstate" New York (lived in Ithaca, Albany, Syracuse & Buffalo, with much exposure to just about everywhere above Poughkeepsi, and some Long Island too - not a NYC fan). I like it here.... especially now that I am on the Great Lakes.

I live near and dive Lake George a lot from shore. I would never trade it for Florida diving. Unless you have a boat you're going to be diving in cold (think 7mm at least) water with low viz, and not much to look at but mud and, if you are lucky, some rocks. Fish are sparse. The wrecks are mostly very degraded wood covered with silt. The Radeau requires a boat and you have to register with NYSDEC and you get an assigned time slot. The dive also requires auxiliary air (pony tank and regulator). Visibility may be extremely limited. Here's a link to the regs: Diving Guidelines for Lake George's Shipwreck Preserves - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Even with a boat you will only get a bit clearer vis and more interesting rocks in Lake George. Still cold and very few fish. I keep looking but I have yet to find anything approaching great diving within driving distance. Blue Mountain Lake and Skaneateles Lake are supposed to be fair in spots, but again require a boat.

You would also be close to the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence. But great New England conditions are subjective. Diving here throughout my life I have grown an appreciation for any visibility above 10 foot. And waters warmer than 50 would be what I consider superb.

your profile says you are 59 years old... I think you should be able to figure out what matters....

FWIW - I'm a lifetime resident of "the real upstate" New York (lived in Ithaca, Albany, Syracuse & Buffalo, with much exposure to just about everywhere above Poughkeepsi, and some Long Island too - not a NYC fan). I like it here.... especially now that I am on the Great Lakes.

I've been in the mid-hudson region for a long time, ski at Hunter Mtn and occasionally dive locally just to get wet. But the OP is looking for "great diving." I suppose east coast wreck diving falls in that category, maybe the St Lawrence? But the lakes? Also he is a brand new diver so that probably means wreck diving is out. Love the Hunter area. Great hiking, etc. And hopefully the job is running the beer fests at the mountain :wink: I'm sure not going to blow smoke and tell him that its worth the long trip to Dutch Springs... I guess I've been hesitant to reply because he explicitly asked about "great" diving...

After re-reading your original post, I would take the job as a resume builder. Bring your gear and do a few dives. Then when you presumably move back in September you can dive all fall and winter to make up for your lack of diving. You have to remember you can't dive if you don't have $$. So keep the career on the right path.

I promise after 4 months of diving in the New England area, diving in Florida in January with water Temps around 60 would be a walk in the park. The worst conditions in Florida are still 5x better than the best you will get up here.

A summer on Lake George will be awesome, just not for diving. Have you ever seen how crazy for summer New Yorkers are after the long winter? Out come all the toys! The traditional culture of "cottages" is not to be missed. Have you ever gone "sunsetting" with a cocktail in an antique wooden boat, and learned the special wave these boaters give each other? Have you had breakfast cooked on a wood fired stove after jumping in a brisk and misty steaming lake at 6AM for your morning shower? Eaten pan fried bass you caught today? Gone skinny dipping at midnight with tipsy debutantes, young heirs apparent and ancient WASP grandmas who bathe in cold water into their 80's? Have you gone "gunny-bobbing" on a canoe? Waterskied behind a sleek powerboat? Laughed as you capsized a Laser? Frankly the diving will suck, don't even bother bringing your gear. Florida will wait, but meanwhile, you will be "summering" on Lake George.

If you are a hiker, paddler or outdoor enthusiast the Adirondaks can be a fantastic place to spend the summer. Just don't head out too soon, during black fly season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom