tossed cookies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This weekend I dove Blue Heron Bridge for the 4th time. A shore dive for those that do not know. (just started diving late last summer) Every single time I have ever dove there I end it being nauseous. 2 times feeling that way during the dive and all of them as I made my way out of the water and to the shore. I thought it might be due to the exertion of hauling my fat butt out of the water......lol. well ok- but i run long distances and consider myself to be in good shape so even this explanation did not really make sense but it was all I could string together. (it is the only difference between diving shore and drift dive on boat) However- this weekend I straight-up vomited after surfacing....on the surface, several times before I made my way back to shore. (fishies like plain greek yogurt?) I was feeling a bit woozie under water but not extremely so- I do believe Blue Heron's water seems saltier to me than a reef dive and sometimes i wonder if that was it? After some thinking it occurs to me that I do not take Triptone when I do shore dives cuz- well= duh- that stuff is for motion sickness brought on by the boat. But- I am wondering if I am, for whatever reason, a person prone to nausea diving period? Something to do with equalizing maybe and if I take the Triptone- ie boat dives, I do not feel it? Any pearls of wisdom or saltine crackers? LOL

I found out on an Oriskany dive in 9 ft. seas on a 6-pack boat that I am not prone to seasickness of any sort, while the other 4 divers were feeding the fish quite regularly. For this I am most thankful, and declined to do a second dive that day due to the heightened presence of human stomach contents in the water. :rofl3:

I will tell you what works for people the world over- dramamine. The only side effect I know of is after a few hours a "I'm high" feeling sets in, similar to the loopy meds the doc gives you before they put you under- followed by a snooze-fest.

If you prefer to not use narcotics, several friends of mine swear by keeping an ice-cold Sprite or Ginger Ale at hand- they say it soothes the stomach. That as well as not eating anything heavy or filling before a dive: a salad is normally plenty. Some say keeping saltines or Ritz crackers works. Also heard that eating ginger snaps helps

Dramamine isn't a bad idea for the bridge - since you can feel the surge easy and it's fairly shallow. i don't know if any of the run-off has any effect on what the water tastes like - although i prefer NOT tasting the water in the intercoastal if i can help it... so don't swallow the water :wink:

i have noticed coffee before a dive myself tends to make any possible nausea worse and/or more prone to it.

some people seem to prefer goldfish crackers over the saltines or Ritz... won't say who :)

Try Bonine; nausea can be brought on by motion underwater. On the other hand, vertigo can cause vomiting and nausea, any ear problems? Has this happened on any other shore dives?

Could be the relatively unknown, but pretty common alternobaric vertigo (Google it, or search on ScubaBoard).
Try equalizing during ascent as well as during descent.

Scopace is the wonder drug for sea sickness. Just wash your hands after taking the pill or applying the patch(dial area the pupils if it gets in your eyes.) it is the only drug I know of that fixes seasickness after you are already sick.

Try Bonine; nausea can be brought on by motion underwater. On the other hand, vertigo can cause vomiting and nausea, any ear problems? Has this happened on any other shore dives?

This is only shore dive that I have done.

"nausea can be brought on by motion underwater. On the other hand, vertigo can cause vomiting and nausea, any ear problems"

Had no idea motion underwater could cause nausea. As for ear problems, no problems equalizing.

" i don't know if any of the run-off has any effect on what the water tastes like - although i prefer NOT tasting the water in the intercoastal if i can help it."

LOL I know its strange but my AIR kinda has a salty taste, sensation, I don't know how to explain it, when I do Blue Heron Bridge. From the first time I went there it has been like that. Like a sensation of salt........I had my reg switched out after my first time there because I thought maybe the rental I used did not quite fit my mouth and it leaked but it does not matter I still "taste" salt.

"
alternobaric vertigo"

If I had this, would it be alleviated by using triptone? (I mean I do not have it when I'm diving off boat and only difference would be the Triptone that I can deduce.)

This is only shore dive that I have done.

"nausea can be brought on by motion underwater. On the other hand, vertigo can cause vomiting and nausea, any ear problems"

Had no idea motion underwater could cause nausea. As for ear problems, no problems equalizing.

" i don't know if any of the run-off has any effect on what the water tastes like - although i prefer NOT tasting the water in the intercoastal if i can help it."

LOL I know its strange but my AIR kinda has a salty taste, sensation, I don't know how to explain it, when I do Blue Heron Bridge. From the first time I went there it has been like that. Like a sensation of salt........I had my reg switched out after my first time there because I thought maybe the rental I used did not quite fit my mouth and it leaked but it does not matter I still "taste" salt.

"
alternobaric vertigo"

If I had this, would it be alleviated by using triptone? (I mean I do not have it when I'm diving off boat and only difference would be the Triptone that I can deduce.)

The underwater surge in shallow areas, as someone else mentions, can mimic seasickness.

Try triptone before your next dive there.

Although not prone to seasickness I have gotten a tad nauseated at Venice, returning to shore in limited viz close to the bottom when the surge starts pushing and pulling

BTW, Dramamine and Triptone have the same active ingredient, dimenhydrinate. Next time you dive the bridge, try it with a dose and see how you do. The only real way to answer your question.

"
alternobaric vertigo"

I don't think Triptone matters, but just don't know. My understanding is the most common trigger of alternobaric vertigo is during ascent when the two ears don't auto-equalize at the same rate. It may not happen on every dive, and it could likely be independent of whether you are doing boat or shore diving.
A friend who suffered from this said she had no warning, not even vertigo. She just got nauseated as she approached the surface. When she learned about equalizing during ascent - even when she didn't think she needed to - it was relieved.
She recommended frequent passive equalizing - no Valsalva. She used things like swallowing, yawning, jaw thrusts, etc.

good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom