tossed cookies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will take medicine sometimes, another strategy is to buy candied ginger, works pretty well, extremely safe and doesn't advertise that you are a fish feeder, same for ginger tea. Better to be safe than sorry. take the medicine before heading out on the boat or driving to the beach. All that gear can create a stuffy sensation when you are riding the swells waiting on others, that is usually when it hits me.

This weekend I dove Blue Heron Bridge for the 4th time. A shore dive for those that do not know. (just started diving late last summer) Every single time I have ever dove there I end it being nauseous. 2 times feeling that way during the dive and all of them as I made my way out of the water and to the shore. I thought it might be due to the exertion of hauling my fat butt out of the water......lol. well ok- but i run long distances and consider myself to be in good shape so even this explanation did not really make sense but it was all I could string together. (it is the only difference between diving shore and drift dive on boat) However- this weekend I straight-up vomited after surfacing....on the surface, several times before I made my way back to shore. (fishies like plain greek yogurt?) I was feeling a bit woozie under water but not extremely so- I do believe Blue Heron's water seems saltier to me than a reef dive and sometimes i wonder if that was it? After some thinking it occurs to me that I do not take Triptone when I do shore dives cuz- well= duh- that stuff is for motion sickness brought on by the boat. But- I am wondering if I am, for whatever reason, a person prone to nausea diving period? Something to do with equalizing maybe and if I take the Triptone- ie boat dives, I do not feel it? Any pearls of wisdom or saltine crackers? LOL
A lot of people get sea sick on shore dives from the movement of the water, especially if there is much surge.I would recommend if trip tone or scopolamine work for you that you take it for shore dives as well.

Maybe you should refrain from diving at Three Mile Island............:wink:

Did you read the #1 post? The OP posted sickness only happened at one dive site. Three Mile Island? Isn't that in PA? Not RI.

Did you read the #1 post? The OP posted sickness only happened at one dive site. Three Mile Island? Isn't that in PA? Not RI.

Ooops! Appears I misread your post and took it that you were sick at only one dive site. After re reading I noted that you were referring to the OP.

The 3 Mile Island bit was a bad attempt at humor implying diving at a Pa. site that had a nuclear meltdown in the late 70's and getting radiation sickness.:D

BTW Love the " a fear of weapons......" so true!

Proper ginger tea from Sulawesi - the night before a dive, slice thinly about 5cm of fresh ginger, add about half a teaspoon of lemongrass, pour honey over - i like mine sweet - honey is optional, pour four cups of water over and boil for about an hour. Leave it to steep overnight, boil it up again, dunk in a teabag for flavour and drink before you get on the boat. I have seen friends who do get seasick take it out in a thermos on the boat to sip on during SI. And learn to deal with tossing cookies under water if you have to - it doesnt kill you just attracts a lot of fish :D

Proper ginger tea from Sulawesi - the night before a dive, slice thinly about 5cm of fresh ginger, add about half a teaspoon of lemongrass, pour honey over - i like mine sweet - honey is optional, pour four cups of water over and boil for about an hour. Leave it to steep overnight, boil it up again, dunk in a teabag for flavour and drink before you get on the boat. I have seen friends who do get seasick take it out in a thermos on the boat to sip on during SI. And learn to deal with tossing cookies under water if you have to - it doesnt kill you just attracts a lot of fish :D

Sorry, but honey loses its medicinal value completely if you add it to boiling water. Normally honey will loosen your body fluids and phlegm and create a better "flow". You can easily feel the benefits when you have a cold and a blocked nose. When boiled, honey has the exact opposite effect. It has a congealing sticky effect and your ent will not clear. Always add honey only towards the end when the boiling water is cooling off but still warm.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I have reflux problems on some dive sites. Invariably, it seems to be those dive sites that make me stay only horizontal. I need a bit of vertical time to keep my cookies in place!

Back
Top Bottom