Tortugas, Cenotes, and Holbox - Oh My

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at going back to the Yucatan with my home dive bud to dive Tortugas reef again one day - loved the turtles, Cenotes again another day, then a couple days on Holbox to snorkel with the Whale Sharks - which I missed last time when I retreated with hurricane Dean approach. Looks like a pretty simple idea, and we might expand the trip to include two or three days diving at Cozumel, but I'd appreciate help planning this part.

1-I'm thinking along the lines of arriving Cancun and picking up a reserved car - found VW Pointer for $310 including insurance, but maybe I don't want to mess with the car. If we took buses to Playa del Carmen, used tour operator to get to Cenotes, bus to Cancun then Chiquila, then bus back to Cancun airport - do we want to mess with the car, fuel, parking fees...?

I don't want to spend all day getting from PDC to Holbox, tho - and it looks like the last bus from Cancun may be at 1.30pm? Don't know about the bus back to Cancun airport?

2-I've contacted one Operator about the reef and Cenote dives, but anyone want to offer suggestions?

3-I have no idea where to stay or whom to use on Holbox?

thanks for the suggestions...!

A number of the hotels on Holbox do a pickup and return run to Cancun - at a price. I found details of hotels by Googling Holbox Island.

Dennis Weeks (Pez de Diablo on SB) has an excellent reputation for his cenote tours. I have read that he will pick you up at your hotel for them.

For me, it's almost always worth renting a car, for the flexibility it gives us -- Not having to worry about bus schedules or finding a taxi.

I just got home last night from a week in PDC, dove with Jason (PlayaCountryBoy) and had a great time, did Dos Ojos (OMG!!! AMAZING :11: ), Cozumel, and local reefs in PDC (Islote and sabalos, both wonderful dives :D ). I just used Taxis to get around (not cheap but I hate busses). Jason provided excellent, personal service and I'll be using him next time I go there!

Thanks Jim and Lynn/TSandM!

I think we are going with Jason. We've talked recently, like his offers on hotel, 3 tank boat dives one day, 2 tank cenote dives the next. But I have heard good about Dennis, too - will certainly keep him in mind.

Appreciate the input on those...! :thumb:

Ok, need some more help here. I got everything worked out with Blue Angel on Cozumel and Fantaseadive at Playa del Carmen to dive Tortugas Reef one day, Cenotes the next - in fact Jason has been very helpful and cooperative, but I hate to keep bugging him for info on Holbox.

Edited...

He suggested I use Willys Tours Holbox Island Mexico A Quiet Birding and Whale Shark Watching Paradise Op on Holbox, and I have exchanged a couple of emails with him. We are not communicating well, but seem to be getting there. I guess he is dependable as far as taking care of our boat reservation and hotel as well - suggesting Casa Iguanas. Anyone have any experiences with him?

I spoke with Holbox Tours Holbox Whale Shark Tours by Holbox Tours & Travel on their convenient US phone number and Rodrigo is very communicative, but he's raised his prices to $95 a trip, plus wants a 50% deposit. He may well be worth the extra money and large deposit, but I don't know - seeking opinions.

I think that he suggested Holbox Dream Hotel, and it looks like they are $96 night total, but I need to confirm that they can guarantee a room with two beds. Cannot find a way to contact the hotel; anyone know of one?

And I understand that there are a large number of boats on Holbox doing the tours, but I can't find any info on any other them?

I have the car reserved okay, and I think we'll go that way. With gas and parking fees, it may be almost as much as the service Rodriqo suggested, but I like having my own control of the car. Looks like about 65 miles or so from Tulum where we will dive Cenotes that day up to Chiquila and the ferry to Holbox.

thanks! :)

Don,

We are going to stay in Puerto Morelos over labor day weekend, maybe you should think of staying there rather than Playa.

It's closer to Cancun, thus closer to Holbox and almost all dive sites can be reached from there including Tourtugas. The area right out in front of Puerto Morelos is a Marine Park also and the diving is rumored to be better there than it is further south where new development has hurt the reef.

We are staying at the Hotel Hacienda Morelos Hotel Hacienda Morelos , seems like a "no-frills" type hotel much like Caribe Blu or Casa del Mar. We are diving with Aquanauts, the on site dive op Aquanauts Dive Adventures

William the owner is a master scuba diver trainer and cenotes are supposed to be one of his specialties. Don't know much else about them, this will be our first trip to stay in P.M. ourselves.

just a thought :d

Don,

We are going to stay in Puerto Morelos over labor day weekend, maybe you should think of staying there rather than Playa.
Well, looks like that'd be only 31 kilometers/19 miles out of the way, or 93 kilometers/57 miles total on three trips, as we'll be landing in PDC from Cozumel, diving with a PDC on Tortugas reef one day, then with him the next day at Tulum cenotes before taking our rental car north to Holbox.

Jason has been great in his help and cooperation, so he'd be the last one I'd change anything on. I think I have the following booked...
> Blue Angel hotel & Caribe Blue diving on Cozumel;
> PDC hotel, Tortugas reef diving, and Cenotes diving with Fantasea;
> Rental car to be delivered the last evening in PDC so we can take to Tulum then Holbox next day;
> Sharkeys as Holbox Operator - not especially communicative but seems to be working out okay;
> Still waiting on word on Holbox hotel. I think Sharkey is working on it and I'm giving him some more time; or I may book it myself - depending on how this works out.

But thanks for the suggestion. Really is a lot to work out in a different country with kilometers, no good internet sites for diving plans like we have in the US, etc. and most Holbox hotels and Ops being a little difficult to commuincate with.

Hi Don,
I just got back from Playa and did a cenote dive called "the pit" it is part of the Dos Ojos system and it is the best cenote dive ever!! I hope you get the chance to see it. My guide was Marina ( I don't know her last name) but she partners with Scuba Playa on calle 10 between 5th and the beach. The shop and staff are super professional and good at what they do. I'm thinking of going back to do more training with them. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom