Torn Between Two Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaCat

Reaction score
For diving singles, which would be a better trimmed tank or more "enjoyable" tank to dive with for open water and or wreck diving for a person 6'3"...the Pressed Steel E8-130 (old LP104) or the E7-120 (old HP120)?

I can't find both to rent or borrow to compare and so am totally stuck. I would deeply appreciate your help!

Thanks very much!

Being 6'3" myself, having dove both setup as doubles but not singles, and being totally stoked with the way my pool test dive just went with my new E8-130 doubles with respect to trimming out, I am going to guess you might be happier with the E8-130 since its shorter and will help avoid heads-up-attitude related problems by moving your center of mass higher, a problem I am still working to solve with my singles tank -- an OMS 112 (which is both bigger and lighter than the E8-130).

I dive double HP 120's and love the balance. I'm 6'3 also. I have dove the HP 120 as a single tank and liked the way it felt. For boat diving, the taller 28" tank is much easier to get into when your bc or backplate and harness is mounted to a tank behind the bench seat. My recomendation is the E7 version of the HP120.

I use both a Faber LP108 and PST HP120's for single tank diving (6'4"). The HP120's fit on most boats better, but living in FL, I prefer the LP108. It's a little taller than the 104, also 8".

...the E8-130's weight shift to a more head down position (thus legs up) is an excellent advantage...the lighter, taller E7-120 for boats and in general is also a great advantage.

Hmmm, I am still not sure...this is a little frustrating.:confused:

As I mentioned, I would like to use them for both personal diving (open water and NE wrecks) and also while teaching. I would be looking to double them up in the future as my tech. skills advance.
Are doubled E8-130s just bears to handle weight wise? (more so than 120s?).

On this and overall, what do you think?

I know several guys that dive double E7-120/hp120s and so they were definitely on my mind when I was making my own decision. I went with the E8-130s after thinking about the various parameters and I have to say I see advantages both ways still, and have limited experience with the path I took. Anyhow my own thoughts were that I liked:
the idea of more gas and a 104 lp fill as an option on a boat or otherwise (as opposed to an lp 95 fill with hp 120s),
what I was hearing about trim characteristics of lp 104s when doubled (and hoped it would apply to the new E8-130s),
the buoyancy characteristics of double lp104s (probably no need for additional weight).
Since I am considering gue as an agency to train with I felt the 8" diam cylinder was going less against the grain in terms of equip configuration (I solicited input from various gue instructors).
Finally, I decided once I got up to around 100 lbs of stuff on my back with air and hardware, it didn't matter if it was 100 lbs or 120 lbs. But like I say, I am still learning how much I like my decision.

Again, thank you all for your help and advice!

I have heard a lot of reasonable explanations as to why different characteristics of both the E7-120 and E8-130 are preferable. Some have even suggested the E8-119 as a compromise.
According to the PST Stat. Sheet:
E8-119: Wt=39.3 and L=24.00
E8-130: Wt=42.2 and L=25.56
E7-120: Wt=36.6 and L=28.00

Birdman and anyone else, are you familiar with these tanks in real terms (as oppossed to paper)? Do you actually see and feel the difference in size between these two tanks (119 and 130)? On paper the differences seem almost negligible (assuming they are accurately presented). As you have said Birdman, after a certain point, does the 3 to 6 pound (doubled...6 to 12 pounds) make much of a noticeable difference? I do consider weight just a bit as there are times I have to walk short distances to the water.

As I would like to transition into more technical diving in the very near future, do technical folk ever use the E8-119(LP95)s much or do you pretty much stick to the E8-130s? (also, being 6'3"...would the 119s be too short in terms of trim characteristics?)

Although I dive primarily dry, would any of these be a poor choice to dive single in a 3mm wetsuit?

One moment I am convinced the E8-130s are the right way to go, then someone makes a great point about the E7-120s and then I find myself rubbing my chin as someone exclaims the virtues of the E8-119s. I need to get these quickly and, without being able to see them in person, it is very tough. (I have seen HP120s).
:confused:

Thank you again, your continued help is very appreciated!!

I too dive primarily with a dry suit in Lake Michigan. I use double HP 120's. This year I started using a 11 pound V-weight mounted to my tanks. I no longer need any weight on my waist belt. The v-weight can be removed when loading the tanks into a boat or for transporting the tanks to the dive shop for fills. I think this is an advantage to buying tanks only for their greater negative bouyancy. Hope this helps.

I have seen lots of people use double 95s. I think taller divers tend to prefer longer cylinders. I guess to really know what works best you need to buy all three:). I have the feeling that with enough tinkering of weight distribution most cylinders will allow a person to trim out, despite the fact that sometimes people may suggest otherwise. I think I just solved my trim problems with my single OMS 112 after months of tinkering by adding a p-weight that has been discussed on this board.

I guess to really know what works best you need to buy all three.

Would that I could.:) Someday.

Birdman, have you had more opportunities try your new E8-130s...do you still like them better than your 120s?

Thanks jcsplit, pcheld and of course Birdman...I am getting closer!!

Back
Top Bottom