Top Dives on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trying to make a list for my upcoming trip, also hope it will help others.
Please add, comment or correct.
So far from all the posts i've read here is what i've come up with.

- Mantas
- Black Water
- 2 Step
- Turtle Pinnacle
- Place of Refuge

My family was on the Big Island for two weeks last summer.

The Manta Ray dive was excellent.
The Black Water dive was over-hyped.

I was on the Big Island last April, the Manta dive was more than worth the money...although we did that dive 2 years previous and were skunked.
See the volcano at dusk, take a tripod and camera w/(telephoto lens) and you will have a terrific memory of the lava flow from the shoreline.
We snorkeled at Point of Refuge and spent over an hour with the dolphins hanging out in the cove. The dolphins would come within reaching distance if you put your arms on your back while snorkeling. We counted 22 dolphins for the time we were at the cove.
Photos: At volcano house
Image124.jpg

Point of Refuge
Image094-1.jpg

Aka aka falls
Akaka.jpg

Watching the steam rise from hot lava
Image136.jpg

Image200copy.jpg

Point of Refuge
Image084.jpg

Cove next to the Point of Refuge where you can snorkel/dive
Image091.jpg

well I havent seen one up close and personal yet but soon I hope.
I Think?

It's more exciting than you expect. Remind me and I'll introduce you to "shark girl" - she seems
to have a peculiar ability to run into them :D

I will thanks.

ill might stop be today. Ill need to get topped off.
the highway robbers short filled my tanks. with practicing flushing and drills
after this mornings dive I might be in need:D

fyi its looking link sea&Sea will be sending a newer strobe (model) to fix the issue
with my DXG1

Mahalo

Ill need to get topped off.
the highway robbers short filled my tanks.

GRIZZ, where is a good place to get those rebreather tanks filled? My wife and I want to bring our Inspirations. Any Advice for the rebreather diver who's never been there before?

Unfortunately all the places here are spendy.
Jim Holt is the local SDS /AP dealer here you might start their.
He knows how to do a proper fill I'm sure.

Theirs jack dive locker .
make sure you get what you ask for and paid for.

Lastly their some Locals but I cant speak for them.
If you do come out PM me and will hook up for a dive or two.
take care dive safe
Mahalo -Wes aka Grizz

My family was on the Big Island for two weeks last summer.

The Manta Ray dive was excellent.
The Black Water dive was over-hyped.

I was curious as to what is the hype about this dive, and why you feel it's over-hyped. I've seen several other references on SB regarding this particular dive as being over-hyped. I'm taking a trip to the Big Island next year, and I want to make the most of my dive opportunities. Thanks,

I was curious as to what is the hype about this dive, and why you feel it's over-hyped. I've seen several other references on SB regarding this particular dive as being over-hyped. I'm taking a trip to the Big Island next year, and I want to make the most of my dive opportunities. Thanks,

The amount of life that we saw the night we went out was very minimal and in my opinion not worth the amount we spent for the dive.

I have no problems with the captain, the dive master or the services provided on the boat. It was just the dive itself that was underwhelming compared to what is shown on their web site.

If you're looking at shore diving, which is fabulous in Kona for ease and quality, here are just a handful out of dozens:

Puako - go early in the day, watch the conditions
Keahole Pt - great for big schools of fish, occasional pelagics
Old Airport - best for poking around the underwater cliffs and 'caves' if that's what you like
Kahaluu Beach Park/Fish Bowl - the shallow fish bowl is fun for the abundant and tame fish life, but outside the breakwater to the south, as far down as the far side of the Keauhou Outrigger (maybe farther!) has good lava canyons; this can be a long swim
Ke'e - good coral here, and visibility
Place of Refuge - fabulous coral out to the south, great schools of fish life at the point, good coral and exploring to the north; Dolphins occassionally
Kealakekua - you have to kayak out or take a boat but the fish life is (usually) unparalleled over anywhere else. Good for photos because the fish aren't as spooked. Snorkeling almost as good as diving. Dolphins likely
Anyplace you can get to the water from the Airport south to South Point, literally. North of the airport there are some silty bays to avoid but elsewhere great diving.
If you're on the southeast side below Hilo, check out the extensive tidepools at Kapoho for incredible snorkeling and rare corals. Conditions can be rough.

I too highly recommend the awesome manta dives off the airport - last I heard the ones down at the newly renovated Sheraton, the old spot, hadn't been too good, though you can go there and see them from the hotel walkways.

Good to hear about the black water dives - I was skeptical when I heard them described.

I just returned from the Big Island trip and I have to disagree with the comments about the Black Water dive being over-hyped. I thought it was everything advertised and more. There wasn't a moment that I wasn't seeing something drifting by that was completely unique and interesting. I've been diving a lot of years and some of the things I saw seemed to be right out of the movie the Abyss. I'm sure it's a personal interest thing, but I would highly recommend the dive and I'll do it again next time I'm in Kona. I used Big Island Divers and went out with Josh. We saw a long tube looking invert that started out at about 30' long and by the time it had drifted past with our lights on it, it had reduced in size to about 8' long. Josh said that it is the 2nd largest invert in the world, can't remember the name, and that they can reach lengths of over 400'. Again, I know that different things interest different people, and I love the large sharks, rays, and everything else as much as the next person, but the uniqueness of this dive is well worth it - IMHO. Besides, where else can you bob around in the middle of 1500-2000' of water in the middle of the night feeling just like bait on a hook??LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom