Top 5 Dive Locations in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marinduque - we spend a bit of our summers in Marinduque when not diving. Do you know where this chinese junk is located? and where did you get your air tanks filled or rented? unless you came from Puerto Galera the story on Marinduque lacking diving support facilities maybe true from what I read in a diving book

Hi, clgsamson
That was a long time ago around late 80's. I think the place is near Boac Marinduque. That time we were invited by the Director of Philippine National Museum through my dive buddy "Pastora olivarez" Gen. Store manager of Aquaventure Philippines"(deceased). During our stay the Museum supplied us our tanks and air with stay at their site. We atayed there for 1 week. the chinese junk was at the depth of 80-150 feet . chinese wares was scattered around the place but mainly at 80-100 ft. We were not permitted to get any artifacts bec. they were still indentifying or counting or what ever they are doing to the artifacts. My friend even gort malaria on our stayed there. lucky for me i was spared

Marinduque - we spend a bit of our summers in Marinduque when not diving. Do you know where this chinese junk is located? and where did you get your air tanks filled or rented? unless you came from Puerto Galera the story on Marinduque lacking diving support facilities maybe true from what I read in a diving book

Hi, clgsamson
That was a long time ago around late 80's. I think the place is near Boac Marinduque. That time we were invited by the Director of Philippine National Museum through my dive buddy "Pastora olivarez" Gen. Store manager of Aquaventure Philippines"(deceased). During our stay the Museum supplied us our tanks and air with stay at their site. We atayed there for 1 week. the chinese junk was at the depth of 80-150 feet . chinese wares was scattered around the place but mainly at 80-100 ft. We were not permitted to get any artifacts bec. they were still indentifying or counting or what ever they are doing to the artifacts. My friend even gort malaria on our stayed there. lucky for me i was spared.

Hi, cgsamson.
I am not sure but I think there are diving facilities at Elephant Island Resort. If you are planning to go diving there. You should visit the tres reyes island " 3 kings island". they have nice and great reefs . island fishermen says that there are hammerhead sharks that at tres reyes. but we didnt see one during our dives there.

gaudencio:
Hi, cgsamson.
I am not sure but I think there are diving facilities at Elephant Island Resort. If you are planning to go diving there. You should visit the tres reyes island " 3 kings island". they have nice and great reefs . island fishermen says that there are hammerhead sharks that at tres reyes. but we didnt see one during our dives there.

Hi! tnx for the info. Yes I've been to tres reyes islands but only to snorkel. The locals call them "pulo".

Maybe before the end of this year i'll be doing an exploratory dive. My instructor would lend me some tanks for my use. I figure a three tank dive would be sufficient to go around the three islands.

Malaria? well the son of a prominent newscaster, Rey langit, died this morning cuz of malaria he acquired in Palawan. His entire crew died one after the other. Pitiful.

Tnx again G.

caloy

shugar:
hi dawhale

i may sound sarcastic but i hope my point is clear... "is it safe for US divers" is not a question... it's an insult to us... so the Philippines is safe for German and Australian divers but not for US divers? what makes US divers so different from other people? because we're not white?

it's either a safe place to go (your mom's room) or an unsafe place to go (downtown baghdad)... we don't go around checking passports before sticking a knife in you

hope this helps widen your perspective =)

Shugar, I thought I asked a reasonable question.
You need to understand my knowledge of the Philippines is limited to what I see on the television. I know it is not a good source but thats all I have until now. Forums like this offer opposing views. Yours did nothing for promoting tourism in your country. If you have not figured it out the US government has made it difficult if not dangerous for citizens of the United States to travel and dive the world. No I did not vote for our president and did not support the invasion of Iraq, but I freely support my fellow Americans solders until they are brought home. I have to live with the repercussions of my governments actions as you do yours. My question was an honest request for a feel for the sediment or opinions of the dive community living and working in your country. Your response does not promote your cause, " we don't go around checking passports before sticking a knife in you", what ever that may be.

I have been to Sipadan, Sangalaki Island, Manado, Alor-Komodo and Bali. Headed to Raja Ampat next year. I would be interested in diving the Philippines some day and that is the reason I lurk in the shadows of this forum; attempting to separate fact from fiction. Like most divers looking for the best dive locations and video/ photo opportunities in the world. Dive safe, dawhale

Ok dawhale. You are very much welcome and for your peace of mind do monitor the board as there are guys planning to come over and do some diving.

FYI : when i started diving, i happened to visit the USA right after tmy OW certification. i bought my first gear at a dive shop somewhere between San FRancisco and San Jose. The guy there mentioned names that would be the first time i heard them (it turns out to be Tubbatha, Donsol...) he told me he comes to the philippines twice a year. So when ti comes to promotion, the local people don't promote these locations as much due to the local market (can't afford)

It is only this time starting 2000 that the scuba diving sport is reaching the population that can afford it. The truth is we are a 3rd world and we are in a mess (THANKs TO OUR POLITICAL LEADERS -THEY ARE LOUSY as some super power government conives, bribes and threaten them - old tactics)

However as long as you stay out of politics, government and Religion than touring the philipines would be safe if you take the necessary precautions just like anywhere else.

and YOU are Welcome to the Philippines :diver:

:eek:)

paolov:
dawhale has a point, it is true that certain areas are really unsafe for americans. because their government has made it unsafe for their citizens!!! but quite safe for the rest of the world. why is this?, because their compatriots made a mess in these places due to the agenda given to them.

Fact or Fiction : a lot of CIA operatives can not return to the USA due to the crime they did for their country? Because when they return the FBI will arrest them for crimes they did that their government will never admit to have commanded their operatives.

such is the disinformation of the Government to it's citizens when they want to pressure the foreign government to submit to their dictates. American Democracy......

Geez Paolo. Give the Cano's a break. The Spanish didn't treat the Pinoys any better and a Japanese soldier knocked my kids great grandfather's teeth out because he wouldn't tell them where the guerrillas were. And what about Pinoy on Pinoy injustice? Is that not as bad as any outside intervention? Just my thoughts. :D

1.Tubattaha North
2. Jessie Beezley
3. Tubbattaha South
4. Yapak 2 (Boracay)
5. Yapak 3 (Boracay)

1) Monad Shoal, Malapascua - awesome thresher shark and manta encounters and great macro if the big stuff don't show
2) Lighthouse, Malapascua - the best night dive I've ever done
3) Dauin, Dumaguete - all sorts of weird muck critters
4) Pamilican from Alona Beach - MAcro, big schools of stuff, great coral.
5) Coconut Point Apo

Happy to see this thread is sticking around, it has given me new insight on future dive spots to check out. Maybe in a year or two I can make my dream trip out to Tubattaha! And I have avoided Boracay since I have heard it said on several occasions that the diving was nothing special, but Yapak sounds worthwhile...guess I'll have to check it out soon.

I wish politics and diving could = water and oil. I have travelled a fair bit thru the US, Latin America, and SE Asia and can honestly say the Philippines is among my very favorite places, offering an impressive variety of dive locations with a very low hassle/risk factor. (Of course, after a few rounds of San Miguel things can get interesting!) Mabuhay!

Hank49:
Geez Paolo. Give the Cano's a break. The Spanish didn't treat the Pinoys any better and a Japanese soldier knocked my kids great grandfather's teeth out because he wouldn't tell them where the guerrillas were. And what about Pinoy on Pinoy injustice? Is that not as bad as any outside intervention? Just my thoughts. :D

1.Tubattaha North
2. Jessie Beezley
3. Tubbattaha South
4. Yapak 2 (Boracay)
5. Yapak 3 (Boracay)

can we continue this on the non-diving thread under Philipine Paradise Divers? hehehhehe , we may be accused of thread hi-jacking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom