Top 3 most easily recognized NE fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwscubamom

Contributor
Reaction score
What would you say the 3 most easily recognized fish by most NE divers would be?

I am guessing that a Wolffish and a Sea Raven might be in the top 3, but I'm not from the area. :idk:

Help?

- Janna

539w.jpg

:D (couldn't resist...)

Last edited:
IN NJ I would say Fluke, Sea Bass, Tog ( to divers)

To non divers (fisherman) I would say Fluke, Sea bass, and Striped Bass.

IN NJ I would say Fluke, Sea Bass, Tog ( to divers)

To non divers (fisherman) I would say Fluke, Sea bass, and Striped Bass.

I would have to argue that.

For Diving i'd say: Fluke, Sea Bass, Cunner

For Non Divers: Fluke, Sea Bass, Sea Robin

Or

For Non Divers: Fluke, Sea Robin, Dogfish

I would have to argue that.

For Diving i'd say: Fluke, Sea Bass, Cunner

For Non Divers: Fluke, Sea Bass, Sea Robin

Or

For Non Divers: Fluke, Sea Robin, Dogfish

Diasagree - wholeheartedly..

Read some of the NJ fishing forums (which I spend to much time on.......lol) and you will see that Fluke - sea bass - and stripers are the most targeted and recognized.

As for divers - for the NJ "lets go swim around the wreck" crowd - I have no idea what they most easily recognize - but for the spearfisher/hunter crowd - its the 3 I listed. Sea Robins are not targeted and barely noticed. TOG are targeted by freedivers and spearfishermen alike.

Do a search on the NJ forums (other sites for fishing and diving targeted specifically at NJ) and see which gets more hits - your Sea Robin and Cunner or my Tog and Striper - - - - Ill bet its not even close.

In Boston area. I've definitely say cunners, flounder, and tautog.

Definitely see a lot of stripped bass and skates too.

Wolffish and Sea Ravens are easily to recognize but wouldn't call them the most common.

If you go wreck diving a look amongst the holes you will probably find the following top 3 fish - cusk eel (I forget the real name but they look like catfish with nice little whiskers in the front), ocean pout and if you're lucky a wolfish / conger .

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom