Top 3 most easily recognized NE fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

striped bass, sea raven (if you see them) and skate..

i see plenty of fluke/flounder but i cant tell the difference...if you fry them up they taste about the same...

striped bass, sea raven (if you see them) and skate..

i see plenty of fluke/flounder but i cant tell the difference...if you fry them up they taste about the same...

LOL.

Understandable about the Flounder/Fluke.

This is debateable - but here is the most accepted difference.

Really - FLUKE is a summer flounder.So for ease - Fluke is summer flounder and "flounder" is winter flounder. This gets confusing since not everyone calls summer flounder fluke. It is common for people to go out for "Flounder" and mean summer flounder and the same fisherman waits till January and once again targets "flounder" and means winter flounder. The 2 species are very different (not just the same fish in different seasons)

FLUKE have teeth and the eyes are on the left side (when brown side up) and a winter flounder has no teeth and eyes are on the right side of their body. (a VERY small percentage of winter flounder can have their eyes positioned the same as a fluke - but this is rare)

Also - Fluke get significantly larger.

Winter flounder are more prevelant the further N you go in the NE - but in NJ we still get a large amount. They winter in shallow inshore water and summer in deep offshore water (for the most part) which isbasically the opposite migration of Fluke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom