Top 10 wreck dives in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as a list of "Top 10 Restaurants" would not properly be expected to include McDonald's or Domino's Pizza, having the Tibbetts on the list is just this side of a travesty, as would adding the Hilma Hooker - unless by "Top" they mean "most popular" or "most often visited"

Other than that the list seems reasonable...

One might suggest deleting the Mighty O for the same reason outlined above but I think the fact that it has some historical significance makes it OK to include, though I'm a bit of a purist wreck-wise and prefer to dive something that wasn't sanitized and placed on the bottom.

Agree with Kevrumbo that there are other wrecks in Truk that would make anyone's top 10 list - perhaps there was a conscious thought to only include ONE from Truk, otherwise it could easily be a list of the Thistlegorm, the Coolidge and any 8 wrecks from Truk you care to name.

:eyebrow:

Another technical wreck not mentioned: The Gunilda.

The Gunilda

YouTube - Gunilda Movie

A luxury yacht that sank in Lake Superior and in pristine condition since 1911.

You can see an electric fan on the fireplace mantle.

Gold leaf has been protected by the cold water and it still glitters under the divers lights.

I hope one day to be able to dive it.

Surprised nothing from Tobermory? Also, Empress of Ireland and Andre Doria? Is it because of the depths and/or cold?

Besides being a massive technical challenge and one needs to be bad a$$ to penetrate deep enough to find a treasured piece of china, is the Andrea Doria all that great a dive? I figure far less than 1% of the dive population has the skill and/or guts/insanity to salvage a teacup. Maybe a few more of us have the certs to do the 235 feet and swim around the hull for a few so we could say we have been on the Doria. In those terms is it all that interesting a dive? Or is it just the legend of the wreck based on the books? I'm not trolling- and I know a few of you have been there (I have not) so you can give an honest answer.

On those terms does it compare to others on the list? Thanks.

Besides being a massive technical challenge and one needs to be bad a$$ to penetrate deep enough to find a treasured piece of china, is the Andrea Doria all that great a dive? I figure far less than 1% of the dive population has the skill and/or guts/insanity to salvage a teacup. Maybe a few more of us have the certs to do the 235 feet and swim around the hull for a few so we could say we have been on the Doria. In those terms is it all that interesting a dive? Or is it just the legend of the wreck based on the books? I'm not trolling- and I know a few of you have been there (I have not) so you can give an honest answer.

On those terms does it compare to others on the list? Thanks.

I think in Kevin McGurr's book he said it pretty well: about half the people who dive the Doria do it just to be able to say that they dived the Doria. If I ever do it I expect that it will be solely for that reason. I gather that as a structure it has pretty much imploded now.

I would put up the Toa Maru at Gizo Solomon Islands

445 ft Jap freighter
bow in 7 mtrs - stern in 38mtrs
holds have tanks, truck, motorbike, machine guns, jars of condoms, jar of morphone ampules, ammo, saki bottles, gas masks, crockery, lamps, furniture
you can swim through the bomb hole that sunk it
all in gin clear 30 deg C water.

the only ones on the list i have done are the Yongala (GBR aust) and the B17 (Milne Bay PNG) and i beleive they are both deserving to be rated highly.

Seems to me that most of the originally listed Top 10 wrecks are Donald Duck wrecks for the masses. So what would be the Top 10 for technical divers? Some of my personal Top 10 wrecks have been mentioned before.

HMS Hampshire
HMHS Britannic
RMS Empress of Ireland
HMS Hermes
Fu Shan Hai (for those who don't know her: a 225 m bulk carrier in 30 - 70 m depth near the island of Bornholm, Baltic Sea)
Franken
Rosalie Moller
The next wreck
the wreck after the next wreck

Thistlegorm in the condition of 1992. Today she is only a shade of what she once has been.

Seems to me that most of the originally listed Top 10 wrecks are Donald Duck wrecks for the masses. So what would be the Top 10 for technical divers? Some of my personal Top 10 wrecks have been mentioned before.

HMS Hampshire
HMHS Britannic
RMS Empress of Ireland
HMS Hermes
Fu Shan Hai (for those who don't know her: a 225 m bulk carrier in 30 - 70 m depth near the island of Bornholm, Baltic Sea)
Franken
Rosalie Moller
The next wreck
the wreck after the next wreck

Thistlegorm in the condition of 1992. Today she is only a shade of what she once has been.

Roy A Jodrey
Gunilda

can think of a few wrecks off Sri Lanka that would give a good run if not out do some on that list. barring a couple we are not even sure of the names but they include WWI and WWII wrecks. some in less than 30m but others are tech dives from 40-60m. a few more we need to find as well. happy they are not well known because we have them for ourselves :) Sri Lanka has heaps of wrecks. 2000+ years of maritime trade has left us with plenty of dive sites.

likewise i'm sure there are lots more world class wrecks across the world known only to local divers and hence not on any lists.

I think any top 10 technical wrecks list should include the HMS Victoria

Although the story of its sinking isn't very interesting, but it is supposed to be one heck of a dive.
starts of at 75 meters down to 140 meters. A fully vertical wreck...and i think the only one in the world :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom