My list - - - **Top-10 Dive Locations in the world** - - - your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GWG Dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My personal diving experience is, to date, limited to North America, Central America and the Caribbean. It's impossible to read it "all", but I've read a lot -- books, magazines, websites, top-lists, etc., I've heard a lot (here, places like here, and I've worked at a dive shop for the past few yrs, met a lot of well-traveled divers), and I've watched several videos of each location I've ever heard mentioned.

This list below is sort of.. the best I can figure-Top-10 Dive Locations in the world based on that ^ research. It's personal, to my preferences -- I like healthy, beautiful, colorful, life-packed coral reefs (scenery) and big marine life. But I'd really like to hear what the board has to say about it! Feedback from divers who have actually been to these places is invaluable.

*Note. Galapagos, Cocos and Socorro (for example) may very well be 3 of the top-10 dive locations in the world. But they're all pretty similar and in the same region.. so I'm just going to pick one. In the same sense, Indonesia (for example) may very well have 5 of the top-10 dive locations in the world. But I'm only going to pick one.

without further adieu..

****************************************************************************************************
The Top-10 Dive Locations in the world:

#1) Banda Sea, Indonesia. Most people say the Coral Triangle's got the best diving in the world, and most people say Indonesia's got the best diving in the Coral Triangle -- and they don't appear to be wrong. The most popular sites typically seem to be Raja Ampat and Komodo. But based on videos I've seen, I actually think some sites across the Banda Sea are more impressive (and less dove).

#2) Central/North Fiji. It's not the Coral Triangle, but there are just colors there that you don't see anywhere else in the world. Fiji, as a dive locale, seems to have been overhyped to the point that it's now underhyped.

#3) Galapagos. Much less than ideal dive conditions and scenery, but probably the single best big marine spot in the world. It's like Cocos or Socorro + Sea Lions, Penguins, Marine Iguanas, etc.

#4) Southern Egypt (Hamata area). Hard to pick one spot in the Red Sea. Seems like the Sinai Peninsula area might have better reefs, and the Marsa Alam area might have better sharks. But I'd go with the Hamata area if I had to pick one place due to the dolphins.

#5) Zanzibar. Pemba Island has very similar diving, but I'd go with Zanzibar.. as there are whale sharks there on occasion. Really amazing to me how overlooked this region is.

#6) Channel Islands. It's not "coral reef", but it's plenty colorful -- and very cool.

#7) Eaglehawk Neck (Tasmania). Some really psychedelic colors out there (Rocks, Octopi, Weedy Sea Dragons).

#8) Similans area (Phuket to Mergui). Not quite on the same level as some of these other locales.. but pretty solid!

#9) Ningaloo. The GBR (Ribbon Reefs, Coral Sea, etc.) honestly just doesn't look that impressive to me. I'd rather try Ningaloo.. one of the top 10 places in the world to see Dolphins, Whale Sharks And Mantas.

#10) Cebu area (incl. Negros and Bohol). This could honestly be #2 on the list, but I wanted to spread things out, and I already had a Coral Triangle locale. The Mindoro/Luzon area also seems top-notch (Puerto Galera, Anilao, Apo Reef, etc.).. but Cebu's got similar diving and Whale Sharks.

****************************************************************************************************
Honorable mentions:

-Tufi area, Papua New Guinea. Had two Coral Triangle regions above already.. but this certainly needs to be mentioned.

-Vava'u. The Humpback experience alone garners at least a mention.

-Sardine Run, South Africa. If you can catch it, it seems like it'd be quite an experience.

Interesting post, I agree with many of your suggestions including Southern Egypt and Fiji. But I think that the Canary Islands deserve a spot on the list, they are definitely underrated. Gran Canaria is very good for diving, it has lots of different sites that are suitable for everyone. Plus the caves, arches and wrecks are a massive bonus! El Cabron is hands down one of the best dive sites in Europe. Check out this blog post about the different dives in this marine reserve and see if it is something that may make it onto the list one day!

El Cabron - The complete guide to the best dive site in Gran Canaria

Thank you James! I’ve actually never heard the Canary’s mentioned as a top diving locale. I’ll check it out today!

Interesting post, I agree with many of your suggestions including Southern Egypt and Fiji. But I think that the Canary Islands deserve a spot on the list, they are definitely underrated. Gran Canaria is very good for diving, it has lots of different sites that are suitable for everyone. Plus the caves, arches and wrecks are a massive bonus! El Cabron is hands down one of the best dive sites in Europe. Check out this blog post about the different dives in this marine reserve and see if it is something that may make it onto the list one day!

Northern Vancouver Island BC Canada. Not much coral but the life and colour on the walls and the creatures in the water make it a divers paradise. Would pick it over several on your list.

Your post really intrigues me. Do you know much about diving in Madeira? I've only seen the water from the deck of a ship, but even so visibility and the rock formations were impressive.

Northern Vancouver Island BC Canada. Not much coral but the life and colour on the walls and the creatures in the water make it a divers paradise. Would pick it over several on your list.
That's number one on my list as well. I had wanted to dive there for many years and finally got the chance to dive from the Nautilus Swell. I've been going to God's Pocket at least once a year ever since.
Of the places I have been to, Palos Verdes, California would be number two. There is more invertebrate life than the Channel Islands. You just can't always see it very well.
I've had many dives in Central California that I enjoyed but my only diving trip to Big Sur was a bust with no vis, fog and ten foot swells.
I'm going to the Galapagos in 2020. That's number one on my bucket list.
I've been to Hawaii three times, Cozumel and the Philippines but was less than impressed.
I'd still love to dive Big Sur, Seattle, Alaska and more of British Columbia.

Thank you for the responses Max and Darnold!

I’ve watched a half-dozen or so videos of the Browning Pass area. The Channel’s seemed much more colorful and interesting.

It could just be that I happened to see some poor videos. Do you guys have any nice ones you could link?

I’ll check out Palos Verdes asap

That's number one on my list as well. I had wanted to dive there for many years and finally got the chance to dive from the Nautilus Swell. I've been going to God's Pocket at least once a year ever since.
Of the places I have been to, Palos Verdes, California would be number two. There is more invertebrate life than the Channel Islands. You just can't always see it very well.
I've had many dives in Central California that I enjoyed but my only diving trip to Big Sur was a bust with no vis, fog and ten foot swells.
I'm going to the Galapagos in 2020. That's number one on my bucket list.
I've been to Hawaii three times, Cozumel and the Philippines but was less than impressed.
I'd still love to dive Big Sur, Seattle, Alaska and more of British Columbia.

Thank you James! I’ve actually never heard the Canary’s mentioned as a top diving locale. I’ll check it out today!

Your post really intrigues me. Do you know much about diving in Madeira? I've only seen the water from the deck of a ship, but even so visibility and the rock formations were impressive.

I know that @Storker has dived in the Canary Islands so he may be able to provide more information.

I know that @Storker has dived in the Canary Islands so he may be able to provide more information.
The Canary Islands don't include Madeira. Madeira is some 500km north of the Canary Islands, roughly the same distance as from Miami to Jacksonville, or from Plymouth to Belfast.

So I'm sorry, but I can't help there

Back
Top Bottom