Tooth Fillings: Experience issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had 2nd Molar (tooth #31) extracted and pulled because of a fracture with nerve/root exposure (OWWWW!): broke-off half the tooth one day while munching on some french fries. Previously had extensive filling work done on that tooth which structurally weakened it --pressure effects, voids and resultant micro-fissures caused by diving probably were factors as well. . .

After reading Clayjar's post I almost made a mess in my pants. I've been diving the past year with a temp. crown and to 10ATA in some cases. I guess the dentist sealed the tooth good, unfortunatly he killed the bone in between the 2 teeth doing the root canal so I've had a 1/2 inch piece of bone sliding up and down til it was pulled out in December. Guess I should run out and buy a Lotto ticket lol on my way back to the dentist

"The Chad"...OUCH!!!!
I always tell my dentist (or remind 'em) that I am a diver and cannot have any air spaces. So far, so good. Same goes for the GP Doc and any Doc I visit that prescribes something for me or looks into the ears and nose, listens to the lungs, etc...
I just remind em. Some shake their head and wonder, why? Others I have to bring 'em my picture book and then they oooh and ahh.
Just my 02psi
K

I have over 20 fillings including some ceramic ones as well as a root canal and crown. No problems with any during any dive.

Back in the "old daze" commercial divers were instructed to not have root canals done but apparently the dentists are either doing better work nowdays or whomever came up with that "rule" was one of the few that had problems.
I suspect that if you were doing saturation diving issues like that would present a greater potential for mischief.
The only problem I ever had was having a tooth explode but I suspect that the 300 amp arc that blew a hole through my cheek had more to do with it than the fact that I was underwater.
Should you ever find yourself doing any oxy-arc cutting I'd recommend wearing a drysuit as opposed to a wetsuit 'cuz it's distracting when you can taste your fillings dissolving.
The "new" ultra-thermic cutting rods use a lot less amperage than the old "Sea Cut" style & that's gone a long way in maintaining a reasonable comfort level for the diver.

5 years ago I did suffer a reverse squeeze in a molar that had a filling after diving to about 65'. On the way back up at about 25 feet I started to feel the pressure building. By about 20 feet, I was trying to figure out how to perform a self tooth extraction while u/w. But dropped back to 35 feet for 5 mins and then tried to ascend again - much, much slower this time and no problem at all. Ended up doing another dive later in the day and didn't have any issues at all. That is the only time I have experienced the problem and based on the rest of the responses - I would say it is likely very rare.

One of my students had a filling done not long before her AOW class. She got down about 6-7 feet and IMMEDIATELY and URGENTLY signalled to kill the dive.

She said it hurt more than if she had the filling done without novacaine. I'd seen her dive in some pretty cold conditions without so much as a sniffle, so I figure that it really did hurt. She's pretty tough.

Well, all of the staff there asked her if we could use her example in our teaching, because I've never even talked to anyone who had this problem. She of course said "yes" so here it is.

She went back and the filling was in fact needing work. After the dentist re-filled the tooth she was fine.

Well, that's the only case I've ever heard of a filling doing this....

Back
Top Bottom