Tooth Fillings: Experience issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwistedGray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I went through the first 7 pages of 200+ so figured it would be ok to post without continuing my search.

Anywhoot, I have a few fillings in my molars. I read in the book that this may become an issue; any have experience good/bad with this. To make things potentially worse, one of them is chipped. Not sure what kind of effect this will have on me...

I recently started seeing a new dentist who is a diver. I was wondering why his staff seemed confused when I mentioned it and asked them to note it in my file because we were warned about the voids and pockets in basic class. He laughed and said that dentist are taught to fully fill the area and leave no voids or pockets. So I asked if it was then necessary to say something to a dentist and his comment was “not really”.

I just feel better for telling them. Not that they would warranty anything anyway.

Scuba class tells you about every potential problem so you know about the possibility, and can recognize it if it does happen. I wouldn't worry about it. If you were diving someplace in the middle of a root canal process, then I would mention it.

I've my fair share of fillings and even the fun root-canal-and-crown bit (darn you, impacted former wisdom tooth!). None of them have ever been a problem.

Pretty much the only things I've heard that are significant to the average dive all relate to root canals, and only while a temporary filling or crown is in place. Basically, a temporary filling over a root canal can have an airspace, depending on the specific techniques used, or something like that, and diving with a temporary crown is officially discouraged due to the possibility it may come loose and be aspirated. (A temporary crown lodged in your lung could possibly cause an embolism, like any other blockage.)

So, other than the week or two after having a root canal (until a permanent filling or crown is in place), it's unlikely (but *not* impossible) that you'll have to pay much attention to dental work. It's one of a long list of things you should know, just in case, but it's nothing like diving with congestion or anything.

Yer head will blow up. Warning Will Robinson Warning

I did have a student once who had a problem with a filling that had a small void behind it. At least that's what he told me the next time I talked to him. And I can't remember if the tooth cracked or if the filling broke. Either way it wasn't a huge deal, I could tell he wasn't exactly comfortable, but its not like it blew pieces of tooth through his head or anything.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have a crown, and many fillings. I even went diving with a temporary crown, and had no problems with it.

That said I did have a void under a filling last year. I did a deep dive, and there was some discomfort. The person that did the filling was a new dentist at the office I go to. They fixed it the following Monday, and I have had no problems since.

Scuba class tells you about every potential problem so you know about the possibility, and can recognize it if it does happen. I wouldn't worry about it. If you were diving someplace in the middle of a root canal process, then I would mention it.
haha Damselfish gave me a laugh :)

Back
Top Bottom