Tools of the Trade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedderkoppen

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

everytime i turn around it looks like someone has posted something about dive knives, shears or steak knives on this SB.

i was just wondering what knives / tools you guys carry on your kit, as PSD's, and make use of. i figure if i ever get into the situation where i need to use my knife, i'm sure it won't be to fight off JAWS or cut my way out of the belly of a whale, but more to get unentagled. So, who better to ask what works best than the PSD's on this board? i know PSD's have great experience getting ppl unentangled from a variety of things, and will have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

cheers,

JE

[Just to cover my butt, i know there are alot of threads on knives etc on this site, but all i've read don't address PSD's use of them. So yes, i have search to make sure this Q isn't redundent.]

Lest you unentangle them from their air hose =)

Good question, I was kind of wandering this myself. I am still a nub but I would love to help out with the PSD's So I have been eyeing this forum, I was thinking of getting certified, gaining some experience and apprenticing with lsur.org

What other tools do you guys carry? Id assume a spring punch for car windows..

So far so good.

Knives, Shears and Spring-Punche.
C-4, Det Cord, Dynamite, Oooops wrong thread.

We carry two knives and at least one pair of shears.

We issue out a couple of different brands of mini pig stickers and the shears. Some of the guys still like using a Sea Hunt Whale Gutter and I had a few to issue.

With two shoulder straps a spring-punch, knife and shears go on them. Then I have another knife on my computer hose.

Still need a place for at least one Hefe.

Gary D.

midnite135:
What other tools do you guys carry? Id assume a spring punch for car windows..
As firefighters, we carry a variety of tools in our turnout pockets. As divers, we only carry along what we need... if we're diving for a submerged car, then yes, a center punch would be taken.

Other than the knife, shears and dive gear, the only extra thing we take routinely is a dive mask. We use FFM and if the need arose to switch to our backup air source, it is good to be able to get the cold water off the eyeballs :11:

There's a PSD album in my gallery of pics taken during training. I tried to get pictures of the equipment and contingencies. They're all surface pics. I took my camera with me on this years ice dive recerts, but the underwater pics didn't really work. All I got was the line.... The water was just too murky - literally black once the bottom got stirred up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom