Took a picture yesterday - I'm not sure what this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back form diving in Aqaba yesterday and I found this little guy hanging out with a pipe fish. ( picture attached ) The dive guide said it was a sea horse, but this doesn't look like any kind of sea horse I've seen.

Can anyone confirm or add further detail?

Attachments

• MICR0115.jpg
    MICR0115.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 411
Definitely a pipefish, which is related to seahorses. Not sure on the species without a better pic.

Confirmed that it is a pipefish

I believe ryanwatson is asking about the sand-coloured animal which nearly bisects the dark brown pipe fish, which is a sea moth. From the photo it's hard to tell the species but these are often referred to as "Pegasus sea moths".

The Pegasidae family are part of the order Gasterosteiformes which includes sea horses, so you can understand sea moths as seahorse relatives.

If you see one again, have a look for a second sea moth nearby - they are typically seen in pairs.

Best,
NatashaS

Well spotted Natasha, I didn't see that sea moth at all until I zoomed in, maybe I need you to guide me on my next Lembeh trip :p

I usually see Pegasus at night dive. Like NatashaS says, they usually come in pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom