Too much weight on first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fatdiverguy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Today I did my first open water dive. It was very frustrating. I wanted to list the problems I had and get opinions from anyone who feels inclined.

First of all I am 5'10" and weigh 280 pounds. My legs are mostly muscle, but my upper body is fat. My instructor said that with a 7mil 2 piece farmer john wet suit that I would need 10% of my body weight plus 10 or 15 pounds lead for weight.

What I ended up with was quite another story. I had 2 8lb lead shot weights in each pocket, one 4 lb weight on each side of my tank, and a 20 lb weight belt. On top of that I received a tank that was shorter and fatter than what I had used in the pool. I was told that it was a negatively buoyant tank. This was really heavy.

I am not aware of the weight of the tank, nor do I know how different style tanks count as ballast, but I do know that I was carrying 60lbs of lead. The tank had to at least be 10 lbs heavier than the standard 80cu ft tank that I was use to.

Anyway I get into the water and have a heck of a time getting buoyant. I seemed to always to be sinking or floating. I probably spent half the time trying to add or deflate air during the dive. My instructor tried helping by adding air. it was to much and I floated about 25 ft to the surface.

Another problem I had was with my BCD. It was my first time with it and I could not seem to be able to adjust it right. It seemed that it was pulling me to the right. I was able to correct this by kicking harder with my right leg and using my arm.

By the end of the dive, I was completely exhausted. There was a two foot step up from the water. To balance myself I crawled up on my knees. I couldn't get up! So I took off my gear right there.

I would say that during this dive I had 1% fun and 99% misery. After the debrief I geared back up and then said no. I did not feel it was safe since I could not guaranty that I could make it back to the water with around 80 to 100lbs of gear on my back.

So here it is... am I just to much out of shape? Is this much weight common? If it is not common, would anyone experience what I did?

thanx in advance

matt

Hello all. Today I did my first open water dive. It was very frustrating. I wanted to list the problems I had and get opinions from anyone who feels inclined.

First of all I am 5'10" and weigh 280 pounds. My legs are mostly muscle, but my upper body is fat. My instructor said that with a 7mil 2 piece farmer john wet suit that I would need 10% of my body weight plus 10 or 15 pounds lead for weight.

What I ended up with was quite another story. I had 2 8lb lead shot weights in each pocket, one 4 lb weight on each side of my tank, and a 20 lb weight belt. On top of that I received a tank that was shorter and fatter than what I had used in the pool. I was told that it was a negatively buoyant tank. This was really heavy.

I am not aware of the weight of the tank, nor do I know how different style tanks count as ballast, but I do know that I was carrying 60lbs of lead. The tank had to at least be 10 lbs heavier than the standard 80cu ft tank that I was use to.

Anyway I get into the water and have a heck of a time getting buoyant. I seemed to always to be sinking or floating. I probably spent half the time trying to add or deflate air during the dive. My instructor tried helping by adding air. it was to much and I floated about 25 ft to the surface.

Another problem I had was with my BCD. It was my first time with it and I could not seem to be able to adjust it right. It seemed that it was pulling me to the right. I was able to correct this by kicking harder with my right leg and using my arm.

By the end of the dive, I was completely exhausted. There was a two foot step up from the water. To balance myself I crawled up on my knees. I couldn't get up! So I took off my gear right there.

I would say that during this dive I had 1% fun and 99% misery. After the debrief I geared back up and then said no. I did not feel it was safe since I could not guaranty that I could make it back to the water with around 80 to 100lbs of gear on my back.

So here it is... am I just to much out of shape? Is this much weight common? If it is not common, would anyone experience what I did?

thanx in advance

matt
Wow 60 pounds of lead Im 6'1" and weight 300 with a 7mil suit in freshwater i was using 18 pounds of lead using an aluminum 80. In saltwater I used 24 pounds of lead. Lucky for me i dont have to use a 7mil much typically a pair of shorts and a tshirt during the summer around here, Maybe a 3mil on some of the deeper lake dives. I am amazed that the instructor had 60 pounds of weight on you .

Calvin

Matt,

I understand your frustration. It is hard to second guess the instructor as all the issues are not always apparent. Are you sure it was 60 pounds for starters? To be honest, yes your current condition is not helping. Think of this as an additional motivator to shed some extra "weight" and improve your cardio vascular health. Diving has gotten me back on track a may do the same for you.

Please consider the ratio of added weight and body weight is designed to take the average diver's physical shape into consideration. It seems your body fat ratio will be significantly different than average. No offense, but the weight may not be the issue, but you being able to work with it.

I suggest the following:

See if your instructor can arrange for you to go back in the pool with same kit and weight arrangement. You could also do a buoyancy check. Fresh water and ocean water will vary your weight so adjust accordingly. Practice your fin pivot and see how best to distribute the weight evenly as to make you feel more centered and not roll to the right or left.

You need to be able to ditch weight in an emergency that is why it is not advised to simply put weight in pockets. Integrated BDCs have quick release weight mechanisms. It sounds like they went with a steel tank, which would wise. Again, practice a bit in the pool as your situation is different than the average diver.

Your only other alternative IMHO is to lose some weight and come back to the sport later, but this is less than ideal. Your air consumption will also be an issue with your current physical description. That will also add to less than ideal feelings once you begin to explore the undersea world and see you have to surface before many other divers in your group. Stay with it! Others have done similar.

Arizona

I am not an instructor and this is just my opinion, but sixty pounds of lead sounds excessive.I may be wrong because you stated that the instructor inflated your bcd for you and you did float to the surface.Buoyancy seems to be one of the trickier skills to master, rest assured you are not alone with this problem.Don't give up because of this incident, stick it out and play around with different weights.You will become more proficient at ALL of your skills with more dives/experience.It also sounds like you made the right decision to not make the second dive because of safety concerns, smart choice, scuba is not a macho thing.Your tank does make a big difference in how much weight you need also: steel vs. aluminum.Good luck & good diving!

Since you were working so hard and excited, you had allot more air in your body. This might have added to your problem buoyancy problem. But on the first dive you generally need more weight to compensate for the excitement. 60lb of weight is allot even with a 7mm suit.

Matt,

I agree with Arizona. Switching up your gear for your first open water dive adds anxiety. I'd ask the instructor if you can get in the pool with the open water gear so you can get comfortable with it. It's common to be in the pool with just a bathing suit and then do an open water dive with a 7mm, hood, gloves, and more weight, but I'm a fan of getting in the pool with that gear so you can experience a mask removal with a hood and gloves, etc.

Also, I commend you for sitting out on the second dive. You felt uncomfortable so you did the right thing. A little bit of nervousness is always good. It keeps us alert, reminds us to do buddy checks, etc., but pushing yourself too far outside of your comfort zone could have set you up for errors...perhaps dangerous errors.

Hang in there. With some extra pool time, you'll get more comfortable, and that will lead to more enjoyable open water dives.

1st off it was most likely a steel tank. So that adds appx. negative 8 lbs. and still appx. 3lbs negative at the end of the dive which is great. My own tanks are all steel.

I'm a big guy close to 300lbs in a 7mm, then a hood, gloves and boots with an Alum. tank in salt I only need 38. So it seems you had alot of excess weight on. The first thing you need to do is learn how to weight yourself. In fresh and salt both. When your weighted right life becomes alot eaiser. You need your instructor to show you the right way are find someone that will show you.

Then get back in and finnish!

Who were you cert through? It wasn't through WSU was it?

It was not WSU...I have nothing but respect for my main instructor, so I will not disclose who instructed me...It was another dive master who told me to anchor myself to the bottom of the lake.:D

I'm 5'11" & 240. In salt water with a top I use 16 lbs. ( I don't dive in cold water) I have trouble believing that the 7 mill and 40 lbs requires 3.8 times more lead. And you were in fresh water. Get into a pool, get your tank down to 500 psi and get "dialed in". It's easy in those conditions. Additionally you will do much better if you get into good cardiovascular shape. Before every dive trip I workout in the pool with snorkel and fins and kick hard till I'm exhaused. I'm not ready till I can do that 45 minutes nonstop. I don't want to be the guy that makes everyone turn back on the dive becaus I'm the one who hits 1/2 air gone first. Amazing what some conditioning does to improve air usage. I do know a lady divemaster- instructor who is 5' and weighs close to 300 lbs. And she uses NO freaking air. She is as good as
ANY diver I've ever had the pleasure of diving with. Your size will be an issue but she proves it can be done (and I'm not talking about the air usage, women have an unfair advantage) but she is amazingly skillfull in the water. Her husband helps her gear up but in the water she is top dog.

Back
Top Bottom