Too much to pick from

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This question gets asked a lot. We really should have a sticky on this subject.

This question gets asked a lot. We really should have a sticky on this subject.

Yes, I agree. I looked for a chart or something before asking the question. I also thought about looking at leasurepro and using their search engine but I found it does not work the way I thought it should. The more features you decide to search on the longer your list gets-'AND vs OR'

There are so many computers on the market(uwatec, aeris, oceanic, sunto,&#8230:wink:. I know what I want( I think) but I am not sure what brand/model is the best for what I am looking for.
I want,
air integrated
hoesless,
nitrox capable,
user changeable batteries
Not a super conservative algorithm
Maybe a compass
Not a lot of cash (so maybe an ebay item)
Am I out of luck with all that? What have you guys been using that you like? I am concerned in that I hear some models suffer signal loss and I am thinking the compass feature may be a luxury I can’t afford. Of course, someone told me that uwatec has a compass that plugs into the top of the wrist console so maybe that’s a possibility…so what should I avoid, what should I look for?

Thanks

Hey OldNSalty,

If you really want a liberal computer with the other characteristics you mention minus the compass, I would look at Oceanic VT3/Aeris elite T3 or Oceanic Atom 2/Aeris Epic with Pelagic Pressure Systems NDL algorithm.

List prices with transmitter are around $1000 but both can be had at discounts with additional off for trade-in or used/open box (check out Scuba.com as an example, prices as low as $625). For purchase like a dive computer, I prefer manufacturer's or vendor warranty but I'm sure you could find these available used online as well.

Best of luck in your computer shopping and good diving,

Craig

You mentioned uwatec and I know that some of their computers don't have user changeable batteries. Not 100% sure about what ones do or don't but I have a smartcom and a Galileo Sol and I know that the smartcom doesn't have user replaceable batteries but the sol does. I really like the sol but I noticed you said not a lot of cash so that is prob. out of the question. Good luck.

Why user replacable battery?

It costs $20 to change a Sunnto battery but that includes a new o-ring........

We own 4 computers and so far have only changed batteries in the two oldest, they were purchased in 2003 and 2004).........

When you look at the total cost of diving, computer batteries are about the cheapest item on a cost per dive basis..........

In any event.......

Aeris Elite Hoseless Wrist Computer & Transmitter

$575 for a new Areis Elite......but without compass

I like Sunnto.......so for me.........

Suunto Vyper Air Wrist Computer (Complete System)

M

Why user replacable battery?

It costs $20 to change a Sunnto battery but that includes a new o-ring........

We own 4 computers and so far have only changed batteries in the two oldest, they were purchased in 2003 and 2004).........

When you look at the total cost of diving, computer batteries are about the cheapest item on a cost per dive basis..........

In any event.......

Aeris Elite Hoseless Wrist Computer & Transmitter

$575 for a new Areis Elite......but without compass

I like Sunnto.......so for me.........

Suunto Vyper Air Wrist Computer (Complete System)

M
First, lots of good info from everyone thanks. As to why user replaceable batteries-I have heard that the cost to have someone like scubapro do it would be close to $400. Maybe I am mistaken and should reconsider the batteries as a factor.
???

First, lots of good info from everyone thanks. As to why user replaceable batteries-I have heard that the cost to have someone like scubapro do it would be close to $400. Maybe I am mistaken and should reconsider the batteries as a factor.
???

I had a friend buy a smartcom off ebay and when he had to have the battery replaced it cost him as much as he paid for the computer. I think it was like you said close to $400. On the other hand those batteries are supposed to last 5-7 years if you take care of the computer and don't store it in wet conditions like I do. It will kill your battery.

What about signal drop with some models? Are there makes that are known for this problem? I suspect that this can't be as bad as some would make it out to be or these computers wouldn't sell like they do but I also suspect that some models might have more problems then others.

There is a used D9 listed for sale here on SB for $400. might serve to OPs needs, or wants.

I think older Uwtec's were factory sealed like their current bottom timer............

So it may have cost a huge amount of money to replace the battery if at all possible.........

But $400 bucks sounds more like a repair (more like replacement) of a computer.......

Others may know more..........:)

I have only used Suunto's and own 2 Yypers and 2 Gekkos - since I dive with darling bride and children I wanted us all to have the same conservative algorithm.....

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom