Too much to pick from

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think older Uwtec's were factory sealed like their current bottom timer............

So it may have cost a huge amount of money to replace the battery if at all possible.........

But $400 bucks sounds more like a repair (more like replacement) of a computer.......

Others may know more..........:)

I have only used Suunto's and own 2 Yypers and 2 Gekkos - since I dive with darling bride and children I wanted us all to have the same conservative algorithm.....

M

I was told that is SP/uwatec's way to discourage buying from unauthorized dealers. It was just a battery replacement no repair was needed.

It is crazy to buy a PDC whose battery you cannot replace yourself or if you are a real disaster with those kind of things, you can't ask your friendly instructor to change for you for the price of a cup of coffee.

Old Salty,
What computer were you diving with?
I am a beginner and looking for a computer. You have lots of experience. What did your old computer not do?

Also what are the disadvantages of having a computer where the user can replace the batteries?
I have to send my exercise watch into the mfg to have the battery replaced because if a lay person opens it, the waterproof seal is supposedely broken and the warranty is voided.

Thanks,
Granny

Old Salty,
What computer were you diving with?
I am a beginner and looking for a computer. You have lots of experience. What did your old computer not do?

Also what are the disadvantages of having a computer where the user can replace the batteries?
I have to send my exercise watch into the mfg to have the battery replaced because if a lay person opens it, the waterproof seal is supposedely broken and the warranty is voided.

Thanks,
Granny

Grams, I am currently using an oceanic dataplus-simple puck, 1 button, air and nitrox. It's nice enough but I wanted a bigger screen. I also want to eliminate a hose. I know-it's only 1 hose but it would be nice if I didn't have it. I don't care about downloading and pre-dive planning and such, I can do that all myself.

As for wanting user-replacable batteries, I am considering buying a used item so I wouldn't get a lot of support from the dealer. I am not 100% set on used, but if I go that route I think it only makes sence to ensure I can at least replace the batteries.

As for the compass, in the diving I do, I suppose I could live without one most of the time. That is a feature I may drop from my wish list and just stick my old compass in a pocket somewhere.

I would say user replaceable batteries is a must (scubapro/uwatec is like 125 to change them), also nitrox compatible because nitrox has alot of perks to getting trained and isnt rediculously expensive. If you get Hoseless AI get it with the transmiter because those are like 200 bucks up and usually it will save you 100 or more getting it with the comp from a single purchase. AI is nice because it tracks your air consumption and gives you time remaining usually on your dives rather than just PSI, but isnt needed. I have the Oceanic Atom 2.0 and like it, only had trans drop once for about 5 sec's but it flashes last registered tank pressure so you have an idea from "....hey i checked 2 mins ago about and had 2300lbs left when trans dropped, let me hang out for a min and see if it reconnects then if it doesnt, surface." My Oceanic has about 30 dives on it by me, and about 10 dives from a friend of mine borrowing it, once he and his girlfriend have their baby and he gets the OK to spending money again he is getting one or whatever is at that level or better. Ohh I dive south florida, dont really need a compass, and paid 650 brand new for mine as the complete kit.

Ohh and the disadvantages to User servicable batteries are.......if you dont seal it right you can flood the computer and ruin it. The oceanic has an oring and battery kit comes with that so you have to be kinda careless to ruin the oring

There are so many computers on the market(uwatec, aeris, oceanic, sunto,…). I know what I want( I think) but I am not sure what brand/model is the best for what I am looking for.
I want,
air integrated
hoesless,
nitrox capable,
user changeable batteries
Not a super conservative algorithm
Maybe a compass
Not a lot of cash (so maybe an ebay item)
Am I out of luck with all that? What have you guys been using that you like? I am concerned in that I hear some models suffer signal loss and I am thinking the compass feature may be a luxury I can’t afford. Of course, someone told me that uwatec has a compass that plugs into the top of the wrist console so maybe that’s a possibility…so what should I avoid, what should I look for?

Thanks

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the suunto vyper 2?

Its AI, Hoseless, has the compass and can be found for ~$399...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the suunto vyper 2?

Its AI, Hoseless, has the compass and can be found for ~$399...
@evinkc05: I think Suunto fell in love with the "Vyper" model name.
The Vyper has a air/nitrox/gauge modes and isn't wireless/AI. LeisurePro price $299.
The Vyper 2 has everything the Vyper has in addition to an electronic compass. It also has the "Deep Stops" option. However, it isn't a wireless, air-integrated dive computer. LeisurePro price $399.
The Vyper Air has all of the Vyper 2 features and is wireless, air-integrated. LeisurePro price $799 (for computer + wireless transmitter).
Hope this clears up some of the confusion...

How conservative is that model? I thought they were very conservative. ANd what does that mean really? Has anyone done a test and can show the difference in bottom time between multiple systems?

I see, good info. Ya know, I am probably a conservative diver anyway. In this area 70-90 feet is the floor. I usually go deep early, work my way up while circling the wreck and then do a good 3 to 5 minute safety stop (3 minutes min up to when ever I hit 500 psi-I hate wasting breatable air)
Maybe I should consider a suunto as well. I have actually had people get to their safety stop after me and then pass me up on the way up. I was having a good time enjoying the view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom