Too much to carry on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I have been upping my camera game (and increasing in amount of gear), I'm finding it difficult to manage everything I want to carry on planes. For photography gear, I have a micro 4/3 camera with housing, 2 strobes, tray, arms, clamps, batteries, chargers, etc. I also don't like to check in my reg, computer, and mask, at minimum. Would prefer to carry on my Cressi Travelight BCD, also. I have had a ThinkTank Airport International bag for a long time. But, if I take that, I can't really fit that scuba gear, plus laptop, meds, etc, under the seat in front of me. If I take my Akona Globetrotter bag for scuba gear, etc, what do I do with the camera gear?

How do you handle carrying photography gear, scuba gear, and travel essentials onto the plane?

Check more of your stuff with an airtag in your bag. Trying to carry on all of that is going to near impossible.

I use a Pelican style roller carry on with my housing with camera/fisheye and dome port installed, secondary lenses and ports, strobes, lights, shearwater wrist unit, lithium batteries and some other odds and ends. In my backpack goes my regulator, laptop and other electronics, along with a swimsuit, sandals, a change of clothes.

My BCD, wetsuit, fins, mask, camera arms and clamps, drybag, chargers and cables, and all clothes and toiletries goes into a checked bag that ends up around 45lb.

If my wife is traveling/diving with me, we pack her dive gear with mine, and she checks a bag with all our clothes.

Seems to me you could easily carry all of that and some other stuff onboard in a standard cabin-sized rollaboard. I use a Tumi and it fits my Zeagle Covert, my (rather large) reg bag (into which I also put my 2 YS-D2 strobes and Kraken vid light) and my housing and related hardware. I've never have any issues but TravelPro makes a great one, too. I also carry a backpack, where I keep my actual camera, mask(s) and other smaller, more delicate stuff. If I have to pack something, I pack the tray and related hardware (arms, clamps, etc.). The Tumi can be heavy but there's always someone who can lend a hand/arm in a pinch.

Hope that helps.

Agree 1000% re Air Tags--I put them in my backpack, rollaboard and of course any checked bags, which usually get one Air Tag and one Pebble (which are really great, much louder than Air Tags and rechargable).

Wait until you have to do a connecting flight outside of North America and your cabin baggage is limited to 7Kg (15.4 pounds). A really light hard carryon will weigh at least 3kg, leaving you 4kg of stuff. I end up using a really light backpack (1.2kg), doing things like taking batteries out of dive lights and putting the lights in check-in baggage, and even checking my camera housing.

Check more of your stuff with an airtag in your bag. Trying to carry on all of that is going to near impossible.

I use a Pelican style roller carry on with my housing with camera/fisheye and dome port installed, secondary lenses and ports, strobes, lights, shearwater wrist unit, lithium batteries and some other odds and ends. In my backpack goes my regulator, laptop and other electronics, along with a swimsuit, sandals, a change of clothes.

My BCD, wetsuit, fins, mask, camera arms and clamps, drybag, chargers and cables, and all clothes and toiletries goes into a checked bag that ends up around 45lb.

If my wife is traveling/diving with me, we pack her dive gear with mine, and she checks a bag with all our clothes.
Don't forget to put your meds in your backpack too!

If there is a carry-on bag weight check at ticketing, then I put all the heaviest stuff I can into my cargo shorts pockets..... and those pockets can hold a LOT. I've also heard of folks wearing their BC's or BP/W's which is really not much different than wearing a jacket.

If there is a carry-on bag weight check at ticketing, then I put all the heaviest stuff I can into my cargo shorts pockets..... and those pockets can hold a LOT. I've also heard of folks wearing their BC's or BP/W's which is really not much different than wearing a jacket.
Photographers'/Fishing vests have lots of pockets...good for lenses, lithium batteries, dive computers...all heavy stuff.

If you run into an airline employee who determines your carry on doesn't meet spec and needs to go in the hold, what will you do? Personally, I check all the things that will not be destroyed in the hold. Even regulators cushioned with rolled or folded clothing.
Double check the luggage rules and limits for all your carriers. Check the size of the aircraft you will be riding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom