Too Much Intuition Makes Me a Nutcase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm diving or when I surfed...I would occassionally feel like a "presense". Sometimes a shark would appear. Talked with other surfers and they also get this same eerie feeling. Anyone ever notice this while diving?

Not moonbat - act on this kind of data all the time. As a rational person I attribute it to my subconcious informing me about something I need to know.

Once inherited a car. Drove it for a month or so - had a bad feeling so sold it the next day. No consequences the person that bought the car owned it for several years with no issues.

The really odd thing was the my ex had exactly the same feeling re the car. We were driving down the highway, both had the same very strong feeling at the same time. Nothing environmental nothing mechanical. Something did not "feel" right, so get rid of it.

Figure my subconcious is paying attention to lots of things my concious mind doesn't even notice.

Trust those gut feelings... have had several this past year I choose to ignore and faced the consequences... mind you nothing bad but not good either... most of the time rather than getting to spend more time at home or in a comfortable place, I wound up sleeping overnight in the airport and having a really messed up work schedule for a couple weeks trying to catch up.

Two recent examples of this were the day before the TSA put the "no liquids" travel ban in place... ended up with flights being delayed for more than 6 hours... rather than listen to my gut and do a detour for fun... nope, I got hit with the delays... ugh. Last one was with all the snow storms... was in between customers, heard them announce the flight for home and thought to myself that I should just head for home... nope, ended up sleeping at the airport that night.

So listen to your instincts... sometimes the brain processes information in strange ways but arrives at the right decision without seemingly being logical, but it's there somewhere.

Humans can reason, but often ignore their instincts. Animals don't ignore their instincts. You'll never see a horse run into a burning building. :D Situational awareness is a virtue, not a vice. The fact that you notice things like startled birds says to me that you are just being alert. Being alert is a great low-cost way to reduce risk, and their's nothing dumb about that IMHO.

-Ben M.

Yesterday evening, we went through the whole load the bikes, check the tire pressure, make the drinks to prepare for a great bike ride. We get to the highway and go about one mile and I say we have to turn back because I feel that I will get hit by a car this evening. Poor JB.

Catherine: My call is that JB has survived his multiple combat tours using the same "gut feeling".

I'll get those funny feeling once in a while. But I don't let them change what I do. I may exercise a bit more caution but I resolve to persist. I'm still here and I think it is mostly nutcase.

Been there... more than once.
Instinct has its moments...

airsix:
Humans can reason, but often ignore their instincts. Animals don't ignore their instincts. You'll never see a horse run into a burning building. :D Situational awareness is a virtue, not a vice. The fact that you notice things like startled birds says to me that you are just being alert. Being alert is a great low-cost way to reduce risk, and their's nothing dumb about that IMHO.

-Ben M.
Rember the big tsunamai last year? 240,000 people died but almost no animals:11: They all were smart enough to head ther instinctive warning and head up hill. Of course I have known a lot of goats that were smarter than a lot of people I have dealt with.

I used to sometimes get similar feelings when golf ball diving with alligators. You could not see them and sometimes you just "felt like" it was time to go to the next pond. The guy who taught me to do it said that you had to send out "happy/freindly thoughts" to the gators and if you really felt weird then pay attention to it. Maybe he was nuts but he had all his fingers and toes and had done it for a long, long time.

LOL,
I used to sometimes get similar feelings when golf ball diving with alligators. You could not see them and sometimes you just "felt like" it was time to go to the next pond.

too funny.

So...here is a question. IF you are on a dive team doing ...say a cave team dive...you can't just "flee" because you get a feeling....

That stops me from getting into "group" ventures a lot. I worry that I will be receiving information and no one will respect my foil hat. Plus, I feel guilty because it can put others in a bad position.

I think we have determined that this is legitimate, but you can reach a point where you are "flighty". I am struggling to control mine lately.
Honestly, I wonder if it is because I worried every single day JB was in combat, hour to hour. Is there such a thing as hypervigilance, you think? Like an overzealous worry habit? A neuro pathway that gets "too" established? I am not a worrier, by nature.

yes, the feeling about predators, like big sharks is real.

Back
Top Bottom