Too much DSMB for me?? Screw up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your replies! Going to practice in the pool, and be more willing to LET GO if necessary!

pool is IMO the wrong place to practice shooting big ones. You don't have enough depth advantage. You really need to be practicing shooting them from the depth that you intend to actually shoot it. Especially with 6ft, it doesn't give you real enough feedback. Just my opinion

Opinions please:
I have a 6 ft halcyon that I can shoot from depth. I can disconnect my inflator hose and fill the bag until it wants to go. Is that a advisable or am I asking for problems. Problems include dealing with the bag, hose and reel and then reconnecting the hose.

I practice in a quarry at the end of several dives a year. I use an unratched reel. Reel since I also use it for traveling in low viz in the ocean. Procedure is to get everything out. Release reel lock and use thumb pressure on reel so it does not turn. Put tiny puff in DSMB so that it stands up. (It is 6 ft). Then with reel in left hand and held out from me I carefully make sure that all is good. Fact line is straight up prevents tangling. Then with the right hand i place my spare octo into mouth of the DMSB. Again check all is good and Give it one good shot of air and release the thumb pressure but give it a very tiny bit of pressure. Like when casting with a bait casting reel. Has worked for me every time both in the quarry and in the ocean where I have done it a few times also. Key is to have a practiced procedure and go through it calmly.

Aquacat8. Opinions and techniques on shooting a bag are as varied as there are divers. I love my side mount reel, specifically the light Monkey 200 but there are many others out there. For WPB I like 200 feet since sometimes I shoot from 100 or so and the current can eat up a bit of line too. My reel actually has closer to 220 and on one dive the current was ripping at the surface. I ended up using most of that line.

Light Monkey Delrin Side Handle 200 Reel

And this is the bag I use.

6ft High Vis YELLOW SMB , Piranha Dive Shop |

On WPB and Coz drift dives like RyanT I prefer to deploy at depth. Makes it much easier since you need less in the bag, expansion as it ascends will do the real work.

Since I have my backup bungeed I switch to my backup regulator and use my primary to inflate from the bottom.

It goes something like this...I unclip and open the bag. Then I place my hand through the handle of the reel and while holding the wheel in place, I loosen the screw that locks it. I then let some of the line play out, not too much or you will lose control of it, then slightly open the bottom of the bag with one hand while the hand through the handle holds the leash (the velcro strap that was holding the bag closed) keeping the bag in place. I then use the hand not through the handle to blow up the bag with my primary. (When I switch over to the backup varies.)

Sometimes I will actually put a very short puff in the bag, just enough to hold it up a bit so I can comfirm all is clear and the screw loose, then finish inflating, maybe 1 second. Then release my hand holding the wheel, letting the bag go but keeping my hand through the handle. Sounds complex but after a few tries its easy peasy.

Apparently Kent Tooling makes a left handed reel. It looks like a beast though and very expensive! If the left hand is to be left free for buoyancy control would not everyone want a left handed reel if using for SMB? They all seem so big and clunky and awkward...

A If the left hand is to be left free for buoyancy control would not everyone want a left handed reel if using for SMB? .

Not sure if I follow. I hold the reel with the left hand when I release it but the crank is on the right. But the crank is never used during this. Crank only used during ascent. For periodic dumping of air I can do that with either hand. Usually use the right. between cranks but can do with the left also.

@aquacat8 I have this spool. Love it. The center of the spool isn't open like on others. The center of the spool acts like a "brake" - squeeze fingers to slow down, loosen fingers to speed up. The pink one has 75ft of line. The black one has 75, 100, 150ft options.

PINK 75 ft Spool w/SS Double Ender

DGX has the black version.

OMS Finger Spool w/ SS Double Ender

I've shot a 6ft DSMB from depth multiple times with this spool. No problems and I've never had the spool come out of my hand or attempt to pull me up with it!

I'm not sure exactly what happened but I remember holding that damn ratcheting reel with my right hand confused as to why I could not get it to release... it was upside down and the thumb release was on the underside by my pinky. As a lefty in the confusion of trying a new skill I automatically tried to use it as if it was a left handed reel, and it's not.

@aquacat8 I have this spool. Love it. The center of the spool isn't open like on others. The center of the spool acts like a "brake" - squeeze fingers to slow down, loosen fingers to speed up. The pink one has 75ft of line. The black one has 75, 100, 150ft options.

PINK 75 ft Spool w/SS Double Ender

DGX has the black version.

OMS Finger Spool w/ SS Double Ender

I've shot a 6ft DSMB from depth multiple times with this spool. No problems and I've never had the spool come out of my hand or attempt to pull me up with it!
OH, that DOES look good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom