Too big a wish list not enough money! Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I could spend $268+cost of the storagepak for a new H plate/harness rig. Or I could spend less than $150 for the exact same thing in basically the same condition used. The $100+ difference is not insignificant, and unlike computers, regs, or wings, it's hard to conceal defects in a plate/harness and you'll never use the warranty that justifies the new item price. If it's not like the pictures when I get it, PayPal handles getting your $ back. Also, setup advice? There's this new thing called Google, you should check it out.

Good job shilling, though, I'm sure CaveAdventures appreciates it :)

Oh come on it's not like I've never bought stuff off ebay as well. I've gotten jems like near new jet fins for $25, quattros for $20, an intova torche for $20 etc etc, I've also gotten lemons like a suunto sk7 $35 that tilted cus it was calibrated for the us and lift bags that were stated as new but had dry rot inside.

There are a lot of suspect sellers on ebay as well as so for a newbie diver like Kian I would certainly not recommend ebay for dive gear.

I'll agree it's a mixed bag. I won't agree the risk is equal for all types of gear. First reg? New. First wing or bc? New. First anything electric? New.

But simple stuff like plates, harnesses, spools, fins and masks (assuming you know what fits you) etc.? Even a newbie should be fine assuming they exercise some common sense and do their due dilligence.

I'll agree it's a mixed bag. I won't agree the risk is equal for all types of gear. First reg? New. First wing or bc? New. First anything electric? New.

But simple stuff like plates, harnesses, spools, fins and masks (assuming you know what fits you) etc.? Even a newbie should be fine assuming they exercise some common sense and do their due dilligence.

I agree completely however, you've read Kian's replies and one thing shines through... "I have no idea what to get"...

I would much rather he dive with you or some other experienced diver, learn all the ropes of each set of rig, understand the features of everything etc before he goes looking for stuff on his own. That's where a good honest dive operation comes in. As a newbie sm diver I would have bought just about everything to learn and Edd instead showed me his setup, how to setup right etc and gave me pointers on what not to buy. I would rather Kian get some of that honestly and knowledge from a dedicated dive store then random shopping via ebay.

This is still a great addiction to have. A lot healthier than many others.
Some dive shops recommend getting a full set packaged together as it will work out cheaper as a deal. Worth considering..
Hmmmm 6D nice camera.. I settled for A65 Sony and loving it :)

was the 60D I was looking at but itll be a 7D instead.. Im past the point of no return on that now as I stumbled across a way too good deal on a housing and 3 ports for a 7D..

Awww man you guys are really not helping. Sell the kids really lol?

We are talking bout a dive addiction not crack so there's no need to sell the kids...

Just send them to a sweat shop and rent out the wife... lol!

I have accepted that my new addiction is going to cost me. Honestly I am ok with it, but I have to be real with myself since I am on a budget! I am willing wait to spend a little more on a better product then try to skimp or take chances on Ebay or Craigslist.

With that being said any suggestions on what order I should make my purchases?!?!

As of now I only have the basic required for my class (i.e. mask, snorkel, fins and mask)

I would finish my class first. All during the class observe what equipment other divers use. Go to some local dive areas and observe what gear the more experienced looking divers use. Ask questions, visit stores and website.

Then, consider exactly what type of diving you plan to do initially and even in the first few years.

You do not need to buy top of the line equipment, mid range gear can be as good or better.

Dive the crap out of your new gear, live and learn.

Then when it is all frayed and tattered or no longer the apple of your eye, toss it in the closet and get something new using all the experience you have now acquired.

There are hundreds of rules of life, some of them are:

1. It is impossible for a man to get on a Snap On truck and not spend at least 100 dollars, even if he has been on a Snap On truck 1,000 times before.
2. It is impossible to own enough bicycles (apply formula N+1 = The number of "whatever" it is you need)
3. It is impossible to have too much scuba gear (apply formula N+1 = The number of regulators/fins/masks etc that you need)
4. Do not spit into the wind
5. Do not tell female types to calm down :wink:
6. You take nothing but memories into the next world

N

I would do a wetsuit first, then a Dive Computer, then BCD, then regs. I know most people say regs first but I like the wetsuit and BCD 1st because you wear them. They fit you and comfort is key.

As mentioned previously, a computer is NOT an essential piece of dive gear. He can always use the tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom