Too big a wish list not enough money! Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With that being said any suggestions on what order I should make my purchases?!?!
I will agree with much of what has been said, disagree with some. 1. Exposure suit, THAT FITS YOU. This is a biggee, and not necessarily that expensive; 2. Regulator - yes, this is not a fit issue, and I could easily argue for the BCD next, because that is a fit issue. I just feel a bit more comfortable with a rental BCD than I do with a rental regulator. I like to put my own perferred mouthpieces on the scond stage, I want to know how it breathes etc. Plus, you have to have a regulator to dive; 2. BCD - this is a fit issue, but I could easily argue for the regulator next, because that is a comfort issue. But, it is really nice to have a BCD that fits you - it lowers your frustration in the water. I like to set my BCD (BP/W) up so the D-rings are where I want them, the bungee loops are where I want them, I know where everything is and can find what I want with my eyes closed - just by feel; plus, you really have to have a BCD to dive these days, Mike Nelson's habits notwithstanding; 7. Computer (this is where I will disagree). Do you have to have a computer to dive? No. Is a computer something that you have to 'fit' to you? No. I dove for two years atter OW certification without one. I still at times forget to strap mine on for recreational dives. What you really need is a SPG. A bottom timer of some sort is nice, as is a depth gauge. But, I literally do dozens of dives where I have a SPG and hardly ever look at my depth gauge, and essentially use my buddy's bottom timer - we have actually taken time before the dive to figure out our NDL by looking at our tables, and know that our gas supply is the limiting factor, not NDL. I am not bashing computers - I have 3 of them. But, if I look at what is essential to dive, a computer is not, any more than a GPS is essential to drive a car. If you want to get wet, you need what you already have, you need a regulator and a BCD (and I really can't choose one before the other as you might note from my numerical ranking), you should have a proper exposure suit, you need a gas supply (which is an easily 'rentable' piece of gear), and a SPG.
Kian:
I am willing wait to spend a little more on a better product then try to skimp or take chances on Ebay or Craigslist.
That is your choice. I agree with part of your thinking - don't buy 'cheap' gear (I don't mean inexpensive, I mean poor quality.) But, buying used on eBay or Craigslist may be quite reasonable. I have bought multiple (>10) regs on eBay, without a problem, other than one second stage case that was cracked (and easily replaced). I have bought multple backplates and wings on eBay without a problem (other than one harness for which the size was incorrectly listed, and for which the seller refunded my money, plus shipping). I have bought used cylinders on eBay and on a cave diver fourm - at a good price, for which I received good value. I am not saying you have to buy used. Rather, don't discount the possibility. The key, though, is knowing enough to make a good purchase.

I just wanted to let you know that your situation is by no means unique to divers, my wish list is always bigger than my supply of funds.

My Christmas wish list:

• Submarine
  • Tropical Island
  • Cessna Caravan Seaplane
  • Island home with slide from porch to ocean
  • Custom Boston Whaler Dive Boat
  • Underwater seabase with living quarters

PayPal Donations now being accepted.

On a side note: As a tropical diver I am having a hard time understanding the term "Exposure Suit" , is that anything like a birthday suit?

Get the exposure suit as it has been said already. If you have a good LDS with newer gear, try some things before you pull the trigger. Some prefer back-inflate BCDs, some prefer chest-inflate/jacket style BCDs. Try them each and then make your own decision. If you can try a Backplate and Wing setup, try that too.
You want to get your reg new....that way you know where it's been, how it has been serviced and how it has been cared for during and after diving.
When you go for a computer, ASK QUESTIONS!!!! There are a lot of divers especially on SB they have years and years of experience, and have gotten to try many different computers.
Aside from that, take the time to try some different things before you spend the money on it. The top of the line, newest thing out there is not always the best for your personal situation.
That's my opinion for what it's worth. Experiment, ask questions, and most of all have fun!

Heres my take on the "exposure suit first" idea;

Any dive op of some size and seriouosity has a selection of suits for rent that will fit you unless you have an abnormal build or you want a drysuit (which cost three fingers and an ear).
I would rather rent a wetsuit and own my own regulators if I have to choose, simply because a badly maintaned/abused regulator can make for a very bad day, while a wetsuit is pretty easy to judge by "its cover" so to speak.
Also, a 3mm shorty is a 3mm shorty - unlike a BCD that is not just another BCD. BCDs have different weight systems, harnesses, inflation points, dump valve locations and so on and so forth.

Now the thing to keep in mind though is that atleast if you want a warm-water wetsuit, they also cost next to nothing. My scubapro profile shorty was less than 100 USD, so it was definetly one of the cheapest parts of my gear, despite scubapro not being the cheapest brand

Maybe the exposure protection issue is seen differently between people who dive where it's almost optional, and people who dive where it's a serious safety issue.

I definetly would not dive where I live without exposure protection, that much I can say for certain.
However on dive trips I dont tend to bring my drysuit and Ive never found a problem renting a wetsuit, either full or shorty that fits.

Oh no lol. Ebay plate n harness seller... plate arrives, buyer (not the same plate I saw this looks like a tank ran over it), seller (... oops)

Online plate, buyer gets wing n finds that the holes don't line up, plate becomes target practice...

Seriously, saving a couple of bucks here and there on a plate isn't going to do much in the long term. Get full setup from caveadventurers, or some other reliable store, save on free shipping, setup advice etc etc.

Yeah, I could spend $268+cost of the storagepak for a new H plate/harness rig. Or I could spend less than $150 for the exact same thing in basically the same condition used. The $100+ difference is not insignificant, and unlike computers, regs, or wings, it's hard to conceal defects in a plate/harness and you'll never use the warranty that justifies the new item price. If it's not like the pictures when I get it, PayPal handles getting your $ back. Also, setup advice? There's this new thing called Google, you should check it out.

Good job shilling, though, I'm sure CaveAdventures appreciates it :)

I would do a wetsuit first, then a Dive Computer, then BCD, then regs. I know most people say regs first but I like the wetsuit and BCD 1st because you wear them. They fit you and comfort is key.

I just wanted to let you know that your situation is by no means unique to divers, my wish list is always bigger than my supply of funds.

My Christmas wish list:

• Submarine
  • Tropical Island
  • Cessna Caravan Seaplane
  • Island home with slide from porch to ocean
  • Custom Boston Whaler Dive Boat

PayPal Donations now being accepted.

On a side note: As a tropical diver I am having a hard time understanding the term "Exposure Suit" , is that anything like a birthday suit?

A very nice wish list and well mine would be similar but here's mine:-

• Submarine - Los Angeles Class of course :) None of that Kilo nonsense
  • Tropical Island - Australia minus the natives and dangerous stuff like the sheilas etc
  • Cessna Caravan Seaplane - plus 2 - need a backup
  • Island home with slide from porch to ocean - Excellent idea
  • An icebreaker would be more fun
  • A Halcyon 4.5foot DSMB - now that would be nice

Thanks everyone for all the replies. def given me a lot to think about. since I live near Monterey, CA I agree that I need an exposure suit first. My rental one was ok but didnt fit quite right and I can't see myself diving in 55 Deg. F water (sometimes cloder) without one!! Also it seems I have a lot to learn about BCD's. Plates and wings?!?! not a clue! Time to start reading up on the BCD forum page!

---------- Post Merged at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for all the replies. def given me a lot to think about. since I live near Monterey, CA I agree that I need an exposure suit first. My rental one was ok but didnt fit quite right and I can't see myself diving in 55 Deg. F water (sometimes cloder) without one!! Also it seems I have a lot to learn about BCD's. Plates and wings?!?! not a clue! Time to start reading up on the BCD forum page!

Back
Top Bottom