Too big a wish list not enough money! Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the first things you should get are things that don't work well if they don't fit, and are therefore not optimal to rent. That includes your exposure protection (if you aren't warm, you aren't having any fun) and your BCD (if the tank isn't stable, you aren't having fun). The next tier is the things that vary a lot or are complex to use, and are therefore much better to own, so you learn how they work. A computer is top on that list.

If you have a local shop where you can rent well-maintained gear, I think a regulator should be way down the list. They are all very similar, and there are no fit issues.

Get a computer first. They are going to get you a lot more bottom time then diving the tables. They are also the thing that is going to vary the most in function unit to unit so when you rent one there is a huge learning curve. You can pickup a good intro unit like the suunto zoop for less than most entry level bcds or regs.

LOL! riiiggghhhtttttt.....

You can get good stuff on ebay, just do your homework. I buy ebay regs fairly frequently. After a good servicing, they're good to go, and my wallet is a little fatter than it would be if I bought new.

Obviously, if you don't know that plate and wing you're buying, then don't buy it! Research your potential purchases.

I'd say the only meat items can be things like torch, knife and maybe a compass. I also recommend looking at forums for things that are for sale. Can come across some hardly used bargains. And always good to rent some equipment from different dive shops and see what u feel comfy with before making $$$ sessions :wink:
Good luck and welcome to the scuba world

I have do VERY well buying from EBAY.... You can look at most stuff and tell if it's been taken care of... You'll find gear that has a few dives and they washed out of diving... I have a friend that is a instructor and you would not believe how many people go out and drop 3 grand on gear and can't swim no less learn to dive.... It's a buyers market, 20 to 40 cents on the dollar.... Just be careful... :wink:

Jim

I have had good luck buying used gear from fellow SB members. Most are honest and many have reasonable prices.
The catch on used gear is not buying old junk, this is easy to spot. The problem is on some cherry gear from people how drop out of diving quickly has a high asking price (70% of new) and you have to get them down to 50% or less to make it worthwhile. Regs should go for even less since you need to service before you use.

I know thus is not cheap, once you have your equipment you very curious to try other stuff.

My wish list consist of some items that are not priority to my wife such as

Second strobe
Wide angle wet lens
Close up lens
another focus light
Second strobe
wireless computer
Third pair of fins
octo inflator
Dry suit

So for all of that I think I will have to start saving in secret under the need lol.

You guys are awful, the poor guy is trying to save money n you'll telling him how to add more items lol!

Lol

Well for BC a used one will work mine is 47 dives and looks like new... Regulator good quality and price seems to favor edge/hog a, lot of people in the board recommend then...

Computer a suunto zoop of gray market(not recommended) about 250. Authorized dealer 300...

Any particular budget?..ok lets help..

Well, it could be worse.. my wishlist used to have a canon 60D on it.. which is rapidly changing into a 7D... meh - that projects gonna cost me an arm, a leg and half an eyeball anyways..

Personally, a unfamiliar BCD drives me absolutely bonkers. A Dive Rite Transpac or back plate and wing would be my recommendation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom