Too big a wish list not enough money! Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have accepted that my new addiction is going to cost me. Honestly I am ok with it, but I have to be real with myself since I am on a budget! I am willing wait to spend a little more on a better product then try to skimp or take chances on Ebay or Craigslist.

With that being said any suggestions on what order I should make my purchases?!?!

As of now I only have the basic required for my class (i.e. mask, snorkel, fins and mask)

The first rule of scuba - more expensive is not neccesarilly the same as better.

To be specific about gear purchas order..
I would get the regulator set first, then computer and BCD. The regs because its good to know the history of how the regs are maintaned and handled, the computer and BCD because its easier to dive in familiar gear than in unfamiliar gear.

I agree!! I have been scouring forums and websites reading peoples reviews and trying to understand what the benefits are of each brand and model for a given piece of equipment. I should have said I'm willing to save to buy new for most then take chances on ebay or craiglist. NOt that im willing to spend more on a name.

For monterey, I would say first look for a proper exposure suit. Look for use lead on craiglist. Then BC, gauge/computer. Last for me is regulator.

I have accepted that my new addiction is going to cost me. Honestly I am ok with it, but I have to be real with myself since I am on a budget! I am willing wait to spend a little more on a better product then try to skimp or take chances on Ebay or Craigslist.

With that being said any suggestions on what order I should make my purchases?!?!

As of now I only have the basic required for my class (i.e. mask, snorkel, fins and mask)

One thing I have learned is that this addiction is very expensive and can take up a lot of space if you go overboard... I know I'm a suffering diveahollic. I agree with Tigerman that expensive is not necessarily better.

Avoid ebay or craigslist as u never know what you'll get.

I would get a bcd first rather then the reg as the faster and more comfortable you get in the water the better although, you could get a complete set if u are ok with that.

1. A great affordable bcd is the zeagle express tech at only $204 at leisurepro. It's a great travel bcd and can be converted to sm as well.
2. Affordable, easy to service at most anywhere and are totally reliable regs are Apeks DS4/XTX50, Scubapro MK17/G250V and the HOG Single Tank Regulator Package $449.95
3. As for computers you could do it the easy way n get a Sunnto zoop or a simple depth gauge which would make you a better diver in the long term as you are forced to calculate all your dives n not rely on your comp.

Cheers

At least one big ticket item is easy to grab from eBay or the like, and is pretty hard to get wrong: the plate/harness.

At least one big ticket item is easy to grab from eBay or the like, and is pretty hard to get wrong: the plate/harness.

Oh no lol. Ebay plate n harness seller... plate arrives, buyer (not the same plate I saw this looks like a tank ran over it), seller (... oops)

Online plate, buyer gets wing n finds that the holes don't line up, plate becomes target practice...

Seriously, saving a couple of bucks here and there on a plate isn't going to do much in the long term. Get full setup from caveadventurers, or some other reliable store, save on free shipping, setup advice etc etc.

Get a computer first. They are going to get you a lot more bottom time then diving the tables. They are also the thing that is going to vary the most in function unit to unit so when you rent one there is a huge learning curve. You can pickup a good intro unit like the suunto zoop for less than most entry level bcds or regs.

As Eelnoraa said wetsuit first then BCD, There are some good store in the area Bamboo Reef in both San Rafael and SF and Diver Dan's in San Jose.Katheen at the Pleasanton Chalet store has been around for a while and dives alot. And don't go cheap on the wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom