Tons of equipment and new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea:
Correct me if I am wrong, but to do one of those courses, part of the requirement is to have gear that meets a certain base requirement, ie fins. I use twin jets and I know thet are taboo. I feel in a way, I'd be forced to do it their way right from the start. If they wanted to say teach the course and prove to my why (under actual diving conditions) my twin jets are inferior, I'd be all ears.

Some instructors rent gear, you'd have to dicuss it with the instructor.
I believe they used to let you do it in split fins, but since it's become a certification course they no longer do. Although that might be down to the instructor.

The course is pretty much none stop just to get through the classroom and skills, so I guess they don't want to waste your (and other students) time with the split fins, and they want to give you the best opportunity to pass.

Of course if you can rent or borrow the Jet fins for the course, you'd be able to make the comparison yourself.

oversea:
Correct me if I am wrong, but to do one of those courses, part of the requirement is to have gear that meets a certain base requirement, ie fins. I use twin jets and I know thet are taboo. I feel in a way, I'd be forced to do it their way right from the start. If they wanted to say teach the course and prove to my why (under actual diving conditions) my twin jets are inferior, I'd be all ears.
If you are happy in your Twin Jets there is absolutely no reason on earth why you should feel compelled to change. I personally prefer Jet fins (I've been using em for over 10 years and I love em) however I know plenty of people who DON't like them. Are they wrong and I'm right? Nope, different people just find different pieces of equipment to be more comfortable than others. Personally I would ask the people at your local shop can you borrow a pair of Jets to try out to see how you like them. However, don't stop diving splits just because of what someone said on the internet. That is just asinine.

MSilvia:
Discuss it with a potential instructor... you might be suprised. When I did DIR-F, and I say that as someone who got a lot out of it but hasn't embraced the DIR philosophy, one of the instructors commented that he used to have a lot more people show up for class in gear that wasn't DIR. Part of the class was demonstrating why DIR gear was preferred to what they used, sort of like a scuba makeover if you take my meaning.

Since you'll be diving a BP/wing anyhow, I bet an instructor might let you take fundamentals in the twin jets, if only to make an example of you on tape for the purposes of illustrating what's less than optimal about them from a DIR perspective. That's one of the great things about the class... there's a lot of videotaping your drills and skills, followed by debriefing. If what you're doing isn't working as well as it could, you'll walk away knowing why.

Even if you don't take the class, you might find Jarrod Jablonski's DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving book a good and informative read. I know I did. You can order it from GUE here.
However the DIR Instructor is just giving their opinion on why they dislike split-fins for their style of diving. That hardly constitues proof.

DIR is not the be all and end all of diving that some make it out to be (not accusing you of doing so I am just getting on my soapbox.) It is a small niche in a very LARGE community. Are many DIR divers highly skilled? You bet your *** they are. However, I garuntee that there are just as many (if not more) skilled divers out there who dive split fins and/or jacket BCs.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t84278-.html

ZoCrowes255 sounds very experienced (instructor) and objective about his BP/Wing.

IMO, you should base the equipment on the diving goals unless you are experiencing difficulties using what you currently have. IOW's why get a BP/W combo with a 50lbs bladder to dive singles....

I too love gadgets (mostly Cameras!!) but realized long ago that stuff is stuff, and the right tool is better than the most expensive cool tool.... (but I want it crys the voice in your head!!)

Good Luck,
Ron

oversea:
I am a fairly new diver, approx. two years since certification. I bought all my gear from the LDS that trained me. I feel they trained me well as I have seen other new divers doing things I was taught not to. But my question lies within gear selection. As new divers, we more or less worship the LDS's opinion on gear selection especially because we will also need their help with setup and learning as we begin to advance or at least breakaway from their shop and pair up with a club or groups of dive buddies. But now I find myself starting to "think outside the bun" so to speak. I've found wreck valley, scuba board and met a few people along the way. This, coupled with my own desire for what a gear configuraton should be for me has made me research equipment outside the realm of my LDS. As we all know there are millions of products available to divers, some are an obvious waste, others are questionable. Then one gets hit with the opinions of the diving community. As a new diver (and gadget freak) I love to look at things and sometimes buy. One that caught my interest was the HUB. It is clear for most, it is a waste, but I just had to see it. That being said, I have just began the transition to a bp\w in addition to my jacket bc (against my LDS recommendations). I've found it difficult to select gear as there is so much out there, tons of opinions and groups that insist there is only one way it can be done. Gear selection can be so difficult that even after I've made my decisions based upon my needs, I still find myself second guessing. Without being biased, whats the best advice to give a new diver to select gear and not waste time and money. Keep in mind, their biggest influence is the LDS that wants to sell equipment. I've bought a bunch of equipment, I really don't think any of it was a waste as it's all pretty good stuff but I can't help but feel my latest venture of bp/w is going to be a waste of money, mostly because I am going at it alone and hoping my combination will satisfy me.

MSilvia:
Part of the class was demonstrating why DIR gear was preferred to what they used, sort of like a scuba makeover if you take my meaning.
Sorry just conjured up a nice reality show on TV "DIR eye for the rec weenie guy" :wink:

With regard to the fins, you can get jets for $20 on ebay without any hassle. The bigger thing might be the long hose, bungeed back up, i got a long hose for $20 off ebay as well, shorter hoses were harder to find, but pretty much around the $15 price in an LDS. The bigger costs are those associated with training and such, particularly if you intend going out of town.

RonFrank:

ZoCrowes255 sounds very experienced (instructor) and objective about his BP/Wing.

IMO, you should base the equipment on the diving goals unless you are experiencing difficulties using what you currently have. IOW's why get a BP/W combo with a 50lbs bladder to dive singles....

I too love gadgets (mostly Cameras!!) but realized long ago that stuff is stuff, and the right tool is better than the most expensive cool tool.... (but I want it crys the voice in your head!!)

Good Luck,
Ron
I have a few dives under my weightbelt but I still have a lot to learn. I realize that there are a lot of people out there with a lot more experience than I do. I just try to keep my ears open and my mouth shut when the situation calls for it and other times I might have the experience to say something.

I have been very vocal about certain SCUBA makers (Dacor/Mares) and how they have not supported warranties on some products. www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html The problem with your LDS is they tend to want to sell you the lines they carry and many run down what they don't sell. I worked part time for a Scubapro dealer back in the 70's and the entire shop knew to push Scubapro products and run down Aqualung that was been sold by a different shop. Honestly both were good gear but if our student when over to the compention we lost money. In the dive business the only way we could stay in business was not only to teach someone how to dive but also outfit him in our "quality" Scubapro equipment. Take time and look around and ask several divers what they use and how they like it. I loved the Scubapro MK5 and later purchased a Mk10 (hated the MK7 ... the pinging underwater drove me nuts). If I were to start again I would probably purchase a Scubapro MK16 or MK25. If I was watching my $'s I would start with a MK2 and after a few years trade up to one of the other two regulators mentioned.

RonFrank:

I got on the BP/W bandwagon looking to free up my arms and chest area. I was not happy with the gear arrangement. My thought was to be able to set myself up exactly as I wanted it, not where an available pocket or d ring was. So far I am happy with the setup but have yet to hit the water. As someone has stated earlier, theres always ebay if I don't like it. Without being able dive (cold weather/nowing yet) I find myself changing back and fourth between the comfort harness and the singkle web. I don't know which I like best.

oversea:
Without being able dive (cold weather/nowing yet) I find myself changing back and fourth between the comfort harness and the singkle web. I don't know which I like best.
When you get the chance, take them out and get a feel for them, you cant make a reasonable judgement on that kind of stuff until you have had a chance to take it UW - of course you want to make sure its adjusted reasonably too.

simbrooks:
When you get the chance, take them out and get a feel for them, you cant make a reasonable judgement on that kind of stuff until you have had a chance to take it UW - of course you want to make sure its adjusted reasonably too.

Well, I think I have the adjustments correct or at least within acceptable tolerances. The info on the net is pretty clear on how to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom