Tons of equipment and new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, not everyone likes the same thing, an not everything will work for everyone. But I would say that you should at least try your BP/W in the water before making up your mind. What can you lose now, since you already have the gear! And if you don't like it, then at least you'll have real world experience with it, and not just opinions from other people. From personal experience, a BP/W isn't the most comfortable thing walking around in, but that's not what it's designed for, either. You're pretty much in the same boat as I am; no HOG or DIR, dive singles with maybe doubles in the future. I took a shot and liked it. Took a couple of dives to get used to it, but works for me.

The simple answer is to rent a lot of different gear and dive with it. Find out for yourself what you like, what fits you and what you dislike.
What works for you may make me miserable on a dive and visa-versa.

Joe

simbrooks:
That is actually the big problem with LDS's and such, trying things on out of water and only guessing at how they feel in the water. Its surprising how some things loosen up or tighten up UW and feel completely different to wearing them on land. Whilst i dont like things that arent comfortable on land if it had to be a choice between the two i would take comfort UW as i spend at least 10-20x as long wearing my gear there than out of the water. This applies to anything be it a BC, BP/W, DS, in fact any equipment designed to do its job might not feel right until you are actually doing that very thing rather than standing, sitting, fitting up.

I totally agree and being up here in New York, its a bit cold for me to dive on my own. There is actually a dive shop out on the east end of the island that has an indoor salt water pool. I was going to ride out this weekend and see what they are all about and maybe even rent some pool time to test some gear and weighting (if I can). I understand by comfort, you are referring to my inability to select a harness. To be honest, I have issues with both. While I like the OMS shoulder straps, I don't like their waist/lower harness. I think it would be a large improvement to make the lower and waist one piece. As far as the cont. harness, I did not have really any issue other than curiosity with the multiple piece harnesses. Although I have not had ample time to set up the OMS with it fully adjusted, I am beginning to feel the one piece was a more secure setup. Thats to be determined. As you said earlier, whatever does not fit the bill will go to ebay.

Don't get me wrong I think the BP/Wing is a good system. However, I do not find it to be any better for single tank recreational diving than other high-end BC systems I have used. And I have no problem with ya making a new post off of mine I just wanted to let you know that I had posted on what you were talking about and I thought maybe you might find it helpful in making your decision.

Taking my time, and reading up on DIR really helped illuminate the equipment road-map for me. DIR principles serve to narrow the field to something more meaningful and valid. At that point I think you are in a better position to make an informed examination of the details, and then select equipment that you will have a high level of comfort with in terms of its' quality and its' performance within its' intended range of use. The system forces you to cut through the crap and focus on the truth about what you're doing and how you are doing it. I'm not saying you should be DIR. All I'm really trying to point-out is one methodology to look beyond, and in the process properly equipping yourself for the real task at hand.

Good luck!

oversea:
My biggest problem with DIRF is that I want to do it my way, within the rules of safe diving, but my way. I can best compare DIRF to collecting classic cars, (bear with me as it is my other passion) Classic cars (corvettes especially) can be notorious for sticklers and opinionated people. What I mean is that in that world of collecting, serious collectors will have no quams about telling you something is wrong and it should be done their way when in reality all I want is a good safe clean car to drive. Does that make sense? I don't want to get into one of those groups, I just want to dive. The one thing I think I agree on, and I am not sure it is DIR, but a minimalistic approach to my gear. I don't want alot of stuff, just necesities.

If your interested, this discussion should probably be taken off line, but..

The opinionated thing is an easy impression to get from the internet.
Every GUE instructor I've ever met has been anything but, they go to great lengths to explain the why's and they are some of the easiest going divers I've met.

Doing DIRF is not a commitment to the cult of DIR, it's an oportunity to get a different viewpoint, if after you do DIRF, you decide that putting an extyra 8 DRings on your Jacket BC to clip on all the extra stuff is really what you want to do (stupid example), there is nothing to stop you doing it. IMO DIRF is a great course for any diver, whether they later choose to be DIR or not, for a lot I think it's the first time they ever see a diver with great in water skills.

I and many other GUE trained divers I know dive frequently with people in none DIR configurations. Diving needs to be about having fun, DIR isn't about taking the fun out of diving.

Maredsous:
Taking my time, and reading up on DIR really helped illuminate the equipment road-map for me. DIR principles serve to narrow the field to something more meaningful and valid. At that point I think you are in a better position to make an informed examination of the details, and then select equipment that you will have a high level of comfort with in terms of its' quality and its' performance within its' intended range of use. The system forces you to cut through the crap and focus on the truth about what you're doing and how you are doing it. I'm not saying you should be DIR. All I'm really trying to point-out is one methodology to look beyond, and in the process properly equipping yourself for the real task at hand.

Good luck!

I may be using some DIR thought more than I think (solely based on what has been posted, not experience) in gear selection. I just do not want to go too far. I have certain equipment I like, thats not DIR and want to keep using it. One, dare I say it is the AIR2. That one may only stay on my jacket as My wing does not have a right shoulder dump and that would complicate things should an emergency arrive.

ERP:
If your interested, this discussion should probably be taken off line, but..

The opinionated thing is an easy impression to get from the internet.
Every GUE instructor I've ever met has been anything but, they go to great lengths to explain the why's and they are some of the easiest going divers I've met.

Doing DIRF is not a commitment to the cult of DIR, it's an oportunity to get a different viewpoint, if after you do DIRF, you decide that putting an extyra 8 DRings on your Jacket BC to clip on all the extra stuff is really what you want to do (stupid example), there is nothing to stop you doing it. IMO DIRF is a great course for any diver, whether they later choose to be DIR or not, for a lot I think it's the first time they ever see a diver with great in water skills.

I and many other GUE trained divers I know dive frequently with people in none DIR configurations. Diving needs to be about having fun, DIR isn't about taking the fun out of diving.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to do one of those courses, part of the requirement is to have gear that meets a certain base requirement, ie fins. I use twin jets and I know thet are taboo. I feel in a way, I'd be forced to do it their way right from the start. If they wanted to say teach the course and prove to my why (under actual diving conditions) my twin jets are inferior, I'd be all ears.

Keep in mind twin jets are all I know and like them. But considering they were hard on the wallet, I am not too eager to replace them. Then come to think of it, so was my jacket bc, oh well

oversea:
Correct me if I am wrong, but to do one of those courses, part of the requirement is to have gear that meets a certain base requirement, ie fins. I use twin jets and I know thet are taboo. I feel in a way, I'd be forced to do it their way right from the start. If they wanted to say teach the course and prove to my why (under actual diving conditions) my twin jets are inferior, I'd be all ears.
Discuss it with a potential instructor... you might be suprised. When I did DIR-F, and I say that as someone who got a lot out of it but hasn't embraced the DIR philosophy, one of the instructors commented that he used to have a lot more people show up for class in gear that wasn't DIR. Part of the class was demonstrating why DIR gear was preferred to what they used, sort of like a scuba makeover if you take my meaning.

Since you'll be diving a BP/wing anyhow, I bet an instructor might let you take fundamentals in the twin jets, if only to make an example of you on tape for the purposes of illustrating what's less than optimal about them from a DIR perspective. That's one of the great things about the class... there's a lot of videotaping your drills and skills, followed by debriefing. If what you're doing isn't working as well as it could, you'll walk away knowing why.

Even if you don't take the class, you might find Jarrod Jablonski's DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving book a good and informative read. I know I did. You can order it from GUE here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom