Tonka97's Five Scenarios for John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have yet to read Gentile's book. I downed "The Last Dive" in about 2 days. "Shadow Divers" was done in about 3. Next up was "Deep Descent," and that one took a little longer. Maybe 5. I'm currently on "Diver Down."

I loved Shadow Divers. What a great book. I don't really want to pick up Gentile's book because of what so many have said about his sour grapes attitude. I know I will pick it up one day, I just don't know when that will be.

If you enjoy fiction, Shadow Divers should be on your shelf. The audio version of Shadow Divers is pretty well done too.

If non-fiction is preferred, The Three Stooges Encyclopedia, and The Three Stooges Cookbook may be enjoyable. These two books represent the ONLY book writing by Robert Kurson before he wrote Shadow Divers. Gary Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed should be on the 'hoaxes exposed' non-fiction section.

Sour Grapes?

or a needed rebuttal to set the record straight?

I realize that it is inconvenient when facts get in the way of a good story.:(

:lotsalove:

Seeing as Keivn McMurray wrote both Deep Decent and Dark Decent I can see why you might think that.

I would not recommend this author to another diver. The writing is disjointed and amateurish. Other than historical info about the Empress of Ireland's demise, the book is pretty poor.

It does have a great dust jacket.

:wink:Save your money.

This thread title should be "Kudos to John Chatterton", judging from the several admiring posts. I'm relieved to learn that he is not aloof, and that he is very likable.

The subject I responded to was "Shadow Divers", by Robert Kurson, expressly authenticated in its entirety by Chatterton and Kohler, and subsequently challenged/exposed as largely fraudulent by Gary Gentile.

If John Chatterton would care to join in with SB discussions, I would take the opportunity to challenge the veracity of 5 key scenarios portrayed in Shadow Divers. There are many more than 5, but that would be a reasonable challenge/response thread.

The challenges would come directly from Gary Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed.

My personal contribution would be just presenting the 5 challenges to Chatterton.

Who knows? It might be fun!

and thought provoking.:wink:

I understand the points of view of "sour grapes" "who cares" "who do you think YOU are?" "we have seen this before" "why would John respond to YOU?", "ignore the troll", and consider these as mere obfuscation to fact finding.

Tonka,

your hate of Chatterton and Kohler is well known on this forum. You have spent more than enough time trying to smear their names. Why don't you just get over this obsession?

Obviously, and to my learning, this is a well-known subject here on S.S. This newbie had no idea. To each there own, all I can discuss is personal experience. Shadow Divers, the book, peaked my interest and I am thankful I read it. I guess if someone wants to take up a discussion with Mr. Chatterton, his email is readily available on his web site... my experience with him is that he returns emails quite often... not my place to judge either way... best of luck...

Tonka,

your hate of Chatterton and Kohler is well known on this forum. You have spent more than enough time trying to smear their names. Why don't you just get over this obsession?

Where does 'hate' enter into this thread? I am concerned about veracity, not petit emotions.

Thanks for not deleting or changing my posts in this thread.

My challenge stands.

This thread title should be "Kudos to John Chatterton", judging from the several admiring posts. I'm relieved to learn that he is not aloof, and that he is very likable.

The subject I responded to was "Shadow Divers", by Robert Kurson, expressly authenticated in its entirety by Chatterton and Kohler, and subsequently challenged/exposed as largely fraudulent by Gary Gentile.

If John Chatterton would care to join in with SB discussions, I would take the opportunity to challenge the veracity of 5 key scenarios portrayed in Shadow Divers. There are many more than 5, but that would be a reasonable challenge/response thread.

The challenges would come directly from Gary Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed.

My personal contribution would be just presenting the 5 challenges to Chatterton.

Who knows? It might be fun!

and thought provoking.:wink:

I understand the points of view of "sour grapes" "who cares" "who do you think YOU are?" "we have seen this before" "why would John respond to YOU?", "ignore the troll", and consider these as mere obfuscation to fact finding.

Hmmm...agenda?:popcorn:

Tonka,

Ahhh...should have read one more post...I was right!:D

Let's look at my post 37:

"If you enjoy fiction, Shadow Divers should be on your shelf. The audio version of Shadow Divers is pretty well done too.

If non-fiction is preferred, The Three Stooges Encyclopedia, and The Three Stooges Cookbook may be enjoyable. These two books represent the ONLY book writing by Robert Kurson before he wrote Shadow Divers. Gary Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed should be on the 'hoaxes exposed' non-fiction section.

Sour Grapes?

or a needed rebuttal to set the record straight?

I realize that it is inconvenient when facts get in the way of a good story.
"

Where is the hate of John Chatterton that you continually accuse me of perpetrating? I am referring to the CONTENT of a best selling book, and the absence of serious writing experience of Robert Kurson.

The animosity is not mine.

Gary Gentile has exposed the hoax that IS Shadow Divers. I have stated that it is pretty good FICTION, and is an enjoyable read, and listen (in audio format)...I have both.

If some SB members prefer attacking the messenger instead of dealing with historical accuracy, so be it! It is their God Given right.

My challenge to John Chatterton stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom