TONGA with Nai'a

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulmila

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,
I'm going to Tonga, just west of Fiji in August. Nai'a does a 10 day trip that includes free diving with humpback whales and regular scuba diving. HAs anyone had experience with this trip? Also, what is the water temp in mid-august? Are vaccinations required?
Please post reply or email me at pjmila@hotmail.com
Thanks

I see no one has replied to this one. While I have not been lucky enough to do the Tonga humpback trip yet, I have done a Naia trip and can wholeheartedly recommend it. The boat, the dives, the crew, the cabins, the food...all are excellent. Water temps are posted on their website.

Let me know how you liked it when you come back. I have a friend from Tonga and she keeps saying she wants to take me there (I assist her with her non-profit)...I would love to get some diving in while I'm there...if and when it happens that is...

Aloha

I was in tonga for 2 weeks last year, about the same time as the Nai'a got wrecked. I was almost on the bat, and it was wierd being on the water knowing the Nai'a was on a reef.

Rather than go on the Nai'a, I chartered a small yacht with three people and we crusied the Happai and Vava' island groups. We had encounters in both groups, and I cant wait to return.

I think the Nai'a is among the best liveabords in the world, but when doing blue water snorkeling less people around is better.

Better for the people paying as each participant will get the most from every encounter. Better for the whales as fewer peole means less stress on the whales. Many of the encounters are with newborn whales and the more activity on the surface, the more likely the whaels will swim away.

In tonga it is legal to swim with whales but no more than 4 can be in the water at one time. Encounters can last 1.5 hours thant he whales need to be given 1.5 hours rest.

If you want to see whales go on a boat that takes 4 people or less. If you want to expereince a great dive trip, go to Fiji and enjoy the Naia'. The diving in Fiji is world class the diving in Tonga is not bad, but it is not world class. I suggest you leave the BCD and regulator behind and just snorkel with the humbacks.

I am going back in September and cant wait!

Maui Finn

Hi Maui Finn,
Thanks for your info and reply. Since I'm already booked on the Nai'a that's the way I'll be seeing the whales. I'll check into to the other options you mentioned when I'm there.

But for future trips I'll probably head for the Silver Bank in the Dominican Republic. Much shorter trip from Long Island, NY. I swam with humpbacks there in 2003. You can see some of the amazing photos on my website, www.cozumelisparadise.com Just go there and click on the whale page.
Take care & thanks again,
Paul Mila

Back
Top Bottom