Tocloban to Sogod overland suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tazzmeyer,

Thank you.

I will arrive at Tacloban airport on 4th Feb around noon time, then take a bus to Sogod first and change to another bus for Padre Burgos. I believe it's not a hassle free trip, however, it's cheaper in this way.

I will leave for Manila on 9th Feb.

Get there the fastest way possible...who cares about the cost!!! The diving is incredible!

babyD, u have to realize everybody has a cost limit. we cannot always splurge on something because it is "incredible"

:popcorn:

oh...sorry....people need to save more money to dive and buy dive related things then!!!

I was in Padre Burgos last year and had to deal with getting there as it is not a convenient location. Tacloban is farthest away from Padre Burgos but is the most convenient spot if flying in and out of Manila as well as not having a lot of time on your hands. It takes time to travel to Cebu then take a fast boat to to Southern Leyte followed by a road trip. If I remember correctly one of the resort guests paid about $50.US for a one way private vehicle trip to the Tacloban airport.

It is true that the fast boat to Hilongos from Cebu is unreliable. If they don't have enough customers to make the trip worth their while they simply hang up a "cancelled" sign on the ticket window and make up some excuse if you ask why. I experienced this. This leaves you with having to take the fast boast to Ormoc which is farther North than Hilongos resulting in a 3 hour road trip to Padre Burgos in a private hire vehicle. There is a slow ferry to Maasin which only runs on certain days of the week and takes about 7 hours. It leaves you with about a 30 minute road trip to Padre Burgos. The return trip to Cebu leaves at midnight and arrives in Cebu at 7am. All of this is fine if you are retired like me and have more time than money and also want to experience the Filipino methods of travel.

i am heading to Sogod bay resort on Feb 16th.
Undecided wehther to fly to Cebu & get ferry or fly to Tacloban.
How long is the car journey from Tacloban.
From what i have read ,even taking the ferry from Cebu will involve a long car transfer to get to the resort. I think the 6pm ferry from cebu arrives at the nearest harbour to the resort.
Tazzmeyer
was your quote from the resort for return journey.?
My International flight arrives in Manila.
I have 7 nights Sogod,10 nights Duain.

Hi Kevster -
My quote was from Sogod Bay Resort.

Kevster
I guess a lot depends on what time your flight arrives in Manila and how quick you want to get to the resort.
I arrived in Hong Kong from the UK at 6pm and took the next 1am flight to Cebu which landed at 3am. I then took the 6am fastcat to Ormoc which arrived at 8.30am. A 2.5hr drive saw my arriving at SBDR at 11.30am, and I was 30m deep by 1.30pm! Perfect. A second dive a few hours later set me up for a very good nights sleep!

The transfer from Ormoc cost php3000, and my return to Tacloban took 3 hours and cost php3500.

My flight from Tacloban to Manila was delayed 5 hours and I nearly missed my connection from Manila to Hong Kong and thence my flight home! All worked out in the long run though and I really had a great time at SBDR - I'm going back in April with my family.

Have fun

PHil

"My flight from Tacloban to Manila was delayed 5 hours"

So terrible to hear this.....I only have three fifteen to catch the next international flight.

Phil,

Thanks for info. I have read various things about the drive from Tacloban, some say 5-6 hrs. It does not look that far on Google earth!!

Anyway i have decided to overnight in Manila after my flight from Dubai, then fly to Tacloban early morning. 7 nights at Sogod. Then back to Tacloban for flight to Manila. Overnight Manila. Then fly to Dumaguete for 8 nights at Duain. Cannot wait.
The alternative was to travel by ferry. Definately cheaper but a prob more difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom