Tobin @ DSS is fantastic! Great service, great product!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USPS is the way to go to ship from USA to Canada. if you get a duty charge, it will only be HST + handling fee ($5.99 i think by Canada Post).
other carriers, a lot more.

If you are close enough to the border, you may want to get a US shipping address and save a ton.

**** you're right! I always forget about that because what I order isn't worth it, something like that though a us PO box would be worth the 20 bucks! I am like 15 minutes from Niagara Falls us and 30 from Buf.

I looked it up its like 5 bucks a package for a kinexpoint close to the border, then I only get charged hst maybe...

Last edited:
yep. you will only get the charge at the border for the stuff you are brigning back.
also you will more than likely save on shipping. I'm not sure what Tobin's shipping is but I can pretty much guarantee it will be cheaper shiped to the USA.

yep. you will only get the charge at the border for the stuff you are brigning back.
also you will more than likely save on shipping. I'm not sure what Tobin's shipping is but I can pretty much guarantee it will be cheaper shiped to the USA.

We ship many orders to "border" locations. The freight is much less than crossing the border. We only charge whatever the freight company charges us, but that can vary greatly depending on weight, destination, speed, insurance and tracking etc.

With all foreign orders we ask the customer to select the freight method, and approve the costs before we process the order. The available freight options will vary depending on items listed above, not all freight methods are available for all orders, but we will provide quotes on those that do apply to a given order.

Tobin

you are right that there are carrier that don't charge brokerage fees. Canada will charge him taxes regardless of how it comes across the border. the real question for the OP is are the shipping charge difference worth the trip across.
you can't tell me that shipping to buffalo is not cheaper than shipping to Ontario.

WELL lol to answer the question, I just finished placing an order for some Mini Cooper parts with Detroit Tuned (in well, Detroit) the shipping quote I received to my house was 55 american. Then I remembered Racanichou's advice and signed up for a post office box, got another quote and now I am paying 12 dollars for the shipping, 5 for the PO box, and like 10 for conversion on Paypal (they insisted on paypal) $27 american is way better!!!! Lets just hope I didn't get scammed otherwise my poor turbocharger is going to have to wait.

Were the duty charges to Ontario significant? or was it just the HST? With the price of the rig converted to CAD plus my very reasonable shipping quote across America (I was quite pleased with) The duty is really the only thing I am not sure of. I just want to have a solid number so I am not surprised at the bill. Everything at DSS end I have just not Canada's end.

I spoke with DRIS and they said when they ship with the postal service USPS that most of the time there are no duty issues. (I was looking at a set of regs)

It came out to about $60CAN I think? I threw out the receipt so I can't say for sure. It seemed to be standard though.

you are right that there are carrier that don't charge brokerage fees. Canada will charge him taxes regardless of how it comes across the border. the real question for the OP is are the shipping charge difference worth the trip across.
you can't tell me that shipping to buffalo is not cheaper than shipping to Ontario.

For me shipping directly to my office + duty was well worth not driving to Buffalo. It was about $125CAN total.

Another +1 for Tobin and DSS. Ordered a bungee mount for my Suunto SK8 compass. Super fast delivery!
Wish they made a mount for my Mares Puck, but that seems to be a Mares issue because of the way it's made

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom