Tobin @ DSS is fantastic! Great service, great product!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking of getting the same setup for my daughter (and maybe myself :)). We will be in the San Diego area to take a look at UC and thought we would drop by DSS. Unfortunately, I just learned there is no showroom there, or anyone to walk us through the best setup for our needs. Is there a way we can take a look while we are down there?

I "walk" 2-4 people through what they need every day on the phone. 626-799-5078 M-F 9-5 most days. To make a recommendation I like to have the following information:

1) Height and weight
2) Most buoyant exposure suit, and the actual buoyancy of that suit if possible
3) Least buoyant suit
4) The actual cylinders used with each suit.

Those are the basics. Easily done over the phone. Keep in mind that we sell world wide and very few of our customers could "drop in" anyway.

Tobin

As others have mentioned, Tobin is thorough and makes good gear. It is a nice benefit to have a manufacturer who makes wings like the Torus 17 and a Hybrid Kydex/Stainless backplate among other options.

I was speaking to Tobin on the phone a few weeks ago, he thoroughly walked me through what I need and we thought ahead a bit for the realistic goal of a drysuit later down the road. He also really went over having enough weight and lift why I need it. Can't wait until I can buy a BCD DSS is what I will probably be going with!

I was curious and forgot to ask, does anybody know how he makes is rigs? is it all in shop and I am assuming off master-cam?

I bought my first BP/W from DSS. I called Tobin and he spent time with me and we discussed my needs. I used the system for a couple of years and a few hundred dives. I really liked it.

Currently when I dive with a single Al80 tank I use two trim pockets with 4 lbs each (8 lbs total). I thought I would use two of DSS 's weight plates (8.1 lbs) to move the weight closer to my back plate and get those floppy trim pockets off of my cam bands. So I called DSS to confirm the exact details of my previous purchase so I could match the weight plates to my correct back plate size (med or large). The receptionist quickly turned my call over to Tobin.

I do not know if Tobin was having a bad day or what but he acted like a azz towards me on the phone. He wasn't listening to what I was asking. He kept interrupting me and injection what he thought I was saying and was very degrading towards me.

Needless to say my DSS opinion went pear shape. My father in law has a machine shop so we milled our own. They work great and does everything I wanted them to do. It is SO NICE to get those floppy trim pockets off my rig.

Ever since I bought my first DSS rig I was a staunch supporter of Tobin and his company here on SB. But after that phone call I felt like I got kicked in the nutz...ouch. Like I said I hope he was just having a bad day and that was not Tobin's true colors. I am not a DSS hater but to the contrary I think they have a good product. However I do not see myself ever calling them again.

Michael

I bought my first BP/W from DSS. I called Tobin and he spent time with me and we discussed my needs. I used the system for a couple of years and a few hundred dives. I really liked it.

Currently when I dive with a single Al80 tank I use two trim pockets with 4 lbs each (8 lbs total). I thought I would use two of DSS 's weight plates (8.1 lbs) to move the weight closer to my back plate and get those floppy trim pockets off of my cam bands. So I called DSS to confirm the exact details of my previous purchase so I could match the weight plates to my correct back plate size (med or large). The receptionist quickly turned my call over to Tobin.

I do not know if Tobin was having a bad day or what but he acted like a azz towards me on the phone. He wasn't listening to what I was asking. He kept interrupting me and injection what he thought I was saying and was very degrading towards me.

Needless to say my DSS opinion went pear shape. My father in law has a machine shop so we milled our own. They work great and does everything I wanted them to do. It is SO NICE to get those floppy trim pockets off my rig.

Ever since I bought my first DSS rig I was a staunch supporter of Tobin and his company here on SB. But after that phone call I felt like I got kicked in the nutz...ouch. Like I said I hope he was just having a bad day and that was not Tobin's true colors. I am not a DSS hater but to the contrary I think they have a good product. However I do not see myself ever calling them again.

Michael

There are certain pieces of information I need to make a recommendation and lots of information I don't need. Sorry if you were offended.

Using weight plates in the Marshall Islands, being almost on the equator, strikes me as odd and would immediately raise concerns for me about divers being over weighted.

A Stainless Back plate, harness, weight plates and regulator provides ~16 lbs of ballast.

Given that an al 80 is +4lbs empty that leaves 12 lbs to counter the divers exposure suit. Given the typical 3mm suit is 3-5 lbs positive 16 lbs of non ditchable ballast could present a risk to the diver.

That's something I try very hard to avoid. Telling any diver diver they may be over weighted can be a mine field, telling an instructor more so.

Pretty routinely I will refuse to sell goods I think are inappropriate or potentially unsafe.

I have no plans to change that policy.

Tobin

There are certain pieces of information I need to make a recommendation and lots of information I don't need. Sorry if you were offended.

Using weight plates in the Marshall Islands, being almost on the equator, strikes me as odd and would immediately raise concerns for me about divers being over weighted.

A Stainless Back plate, harness, weight plates and regulator provides ~16 lbs of ballast.

Given that an al 80 is +4lbs empty that leaves 12 lbs to counter the divers exposure suit. Given the typical 3mm suit is 3-5 lbs positive 16 lbs of non ditchable ballast could present a risk to the diver.

That's something I try very hard to avoid. Telling any diver diver they may be over weighted can be a mine field, telling an instructor more so.

Pretty routinely I will refuse to sell goods I think are inappropriate or potentially unsafe.

I have no plans to change that policy.

Tobin

Reading your last two sentences I do not think you are sorry you were offensive...

I see your calculations and they are pretty close, not exact but a good starting point. But you forgot one very important factor...I am a HUMAN BEING and we are all different. I know how to weight myself when I teach Open Water Students in the pool and take them to the ocean. I also know how to weigh myself when I dive for myself or working our MIA Project looking for lost service members from WWII.

I think your generalized calculations work very well when applied to the diver switching to a BP/W system for the first time. I know it did for me, however, 700+ dives later I am not that same diver, my trim is different, my diving goals and objectives are different, by buoyance control is tighter. Again it wasn't the advice or you non-recommendation that was offensive (you held to your beliefs and upheld your values and I can respect that), it was your arrogance, quick & false assumptions and unwillingness to even let me speak that was offensive.

This thread is getting off topic, it is suppose to be "Tobin Is Fantastic". So I will not make anymore post here as I cannot see how it can add any additional value. I truly was hoping you were just having a bad day when I called. So sad :(

Michael

Reading your last two sentences I do not think you are sorry you were offensive...

I see your calculations and they are pretty close, not exact but a good starting point. But you forgot one very important factor...I am a HUMAN BEING and we are all different. I know how to weight myself when I teach Open Water Students in the pool and take them to the ocean. I also know how to weigh myself when I dive for myself or working our MIA Project looking for lost service members from WWII.

I think your generalized calculations work very well when applied to the diver switching to a BP/W system for the first time. I know it did for me, however, 700+ dives later I am not that same diver, my trim is different, my diving goals and objectives are different, by buoyance control is tighter. Again it wasn't the advice or you non-recommendation that was offensive (you held to your beliefs and upheld your values and I can respect that), it was your arrogance, quick & false assumptions and unwillingness to even let me speak that was offensive.

This thread is getting off topic, it is suppose to be "Tobin Is Fantastic". So I will not make anymore post here as I cannot see how it can add any additional value. I truly was hoping you were just having a bad day when I called. So sad :(

Michael

Michael,

I have to stand behind my goods, and I bear the risk of misuse and misrepesentation.

As such I have every reason to try and determine if my goods will be used as intended and in what *I* consider to be a safe manner.

Your 700 dives doesn't change those facts.

Nothing in my job description compels me to enable people to engage in what I consider bad ideas.

Tobin

You mean with shipping to Canada? Nope, just paid the duty and it arrived promptly.

Were the duty charges to Ontario significant? or was it just the HST? With the price of the rig converted to CAD plus my very reasonable shipping quote across America (I was quite pleased with) The duty is really the only thing I am not sure of. I just want to have a solid number so I am not surprised at the bill. Everything at DSS end I have just not Canada's end.

I spoke with DRIS and they said when they ship with the postal service USPS that most of the time there are no duty issues. (I was looking at a set of regs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom