Tobago dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sugarsugar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I just finished my ow today and I'll be in Tobago for the last week in November. Staying in Castara and looking for a dive shop. Hoping to do a deep dive, a night dive, and a drift dive. So, not on the speyside of the island. I have seen a good review for Tobago Dive Pirates. Has anyone used them or have a different recommendation?

Hoping to do a deep dive, a night dive, and a drift dive. So, not on the speyside of the island. I have seen a good review for Tobago Dive Pirates.

why do you exclude speyside altogether? distance? you get some great night and drifts there (most dives in tobago are drifts anyway)...

but if you want to stay on the caribbean side then yea tobago dive pirates should be ok.. i never dived with them just rent some gear and they seemed cool... you can also check Undersea Tobago Dive Center they are very reputable....

additionally Tobago Dive Services & Dive Guides - the myTobago guide to SCUBA Diving Operators on Tobago has some fairly accurate reviews (look at the region 1 and 2 for non speyside)..

Thanks for the replies! @ Phoenix: I made arrangements for accommodations to stay in Castara before I learned to scuba dive. And with Castara on the other side of the island I didn't think it would be feasible. (hindsight is 20:20). @ Steve: I also looked at Wild Turtle Dive but it appears they are near the airport, but I'll look again.

Perhaps I can do a dive out of speyside even though I won't be based there.

If anyone has any advice or recommendations, I have an open agenda. Thanks again both Steve and Phoenix.

TBH you're better not going to Speyside as a newly minted OW diver. The drifts can be 'fast' and it's not something I'd have wanted to be confronted with at that stage in my diving. The Caribbean side is less taxing

I agree. They best diving is in the Speyside area (and The Sisters), but they aren't for the beginner. You have lots of good diving in and around Crown Point.

as Steve said it really depends on how comfortable you are with your diving... for me it was very good and plenty fun... but i'm very comfortable in the water (i'm a seaholic)... if you have never drift dived before then i suppose you can stay on the caribbean side (lots of great diving there)...

you can also contact dive shops in Speyside (like Blue Waters Inn Hotel | Tobago Resort | Caribbean Vacations ) that can tell you what the conditions are like closer to your visit... sometimes the currents can be mild..

additionally, if you're staying in Castara you should only consider speyside if you have a vehicle!!

Thanks to all!! I will make sure to post a dive report when we return. :peace2: Peace and Happy Halloween

It's been several years since diving in Tobago, but the drive to Speyside is definitely worth it. We stayed on the other side of the island but rented a vehicle and made the trip 2 times in 5 days of diving. Just stay away from the rocks when descending.

I had the BEST time. We dove with Rich with Wild Turtle and he took great care of us. I did a deep dive, a night dive and a fun dive in Castara. We drove to Speyside and did a drift dive and a dive to see the largest brain coral. It was big but it didn't do any tricks. Then our final dive was the MV Mavrick wreck. There were several dives in between too!!!! Thanks for all the advice

I am totally hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom