to use VR3 with Dolphin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ken chung ar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
hi all,

i have used Draeger's Dolphin with Oxygauge for the last 7 months. Oxygauge works fine, but as you all know, i cannot use the measured PO2 to calculate my oxygen exposure. my computer is Suunto's Stinger compatible with EANx, and all i can do is to set FO2 and to dive as if PO2 were fixed during my diving.

in this forum before (Nov, 2003), the Hydrospace Explorer and Delta P VR3 were highly recommended. however, no one mentioned how to connect these computers and the Dolphin's breathing circuit.

now i know that Delta P offers a connector kit for Dolphin. it looks similar to Oxygauge in the proximal portion that is inserted into the counterlung. the distal part is, i guess, connected to the VR3 itself.

now, my question is if anyone has actually used this connector, together with Dolphin and VR3. how do they work? i want to know if it's worth while to upgrade my Oxygauge before investing over 1500 USD.

your answers will be very much appreciated. thank you in advance.

ken chung ar

Ken, both the Hydro Space Explorer as well as the DeltaP VR3 (and VR2 -> OC/CC 4 mixes O2/N2, no He) can plug via cables and cell holder into Dräger's P-port. I have never tried it as I don't dive the Dolphin, but iirc the computer are set to fO2 mode for the mix you are using and the cells enabled. The sensor then measures the actual O2 content, displays the pO2 and uses it for the calculations.

Info and manuals are available for both on their respective websites.

Another option is the combination Uwatec AirZO2 with the Oxy2. That will give you two oxygen sensors in the Oxy2 and a wireless connection to your dive computer computer. I have used that combination on both my Drager Dolphin and OMG Azimuth for several years.

debersole:
Another option is the combination Uwatec AirZO2 with the Oxy2. That will give you two oxygen sensors in the Oxy2 and a wireless connection to your dive computer computer. I have used that combination on both my Drager Dolphin and OMG Azimuth for several years.
Before I moved up to an Evolution CCR, I used both the Oxy2 and the VR3 on my Drager Dolphin.

The Oxy2, I found to be tempremental and unreliable, always failing just when I most needed it. I had to have Uwatec replace both pieces at least twice, always under warranty. The units themselves either locked up, refused to turn on, lost the signal (even on the boat, six inches apart...), etc. The replacements were no better. Several of my buddies on Dolphins have had similar problems, and at least three have switched to new computers or systems. They're total junk, and I will _never_ dive with a Uwatec computer again, buy their stuff, nor will I buddy with someone using one, as I don't consider them safe. In fairness to Uwatec, their service was fairly good to "make it right," but even top notch service can't make up for inept engineering and poor design.

The VR3 was my choice for a replacement. The cable connection is secure, the computer is sturdy, reliable, and works really well. The other advantage is that when you end up having to bail out, as you inevitably will when an oriface clogs during your dive, you can switch gasses on the VR3 to match up with your bailout gas, and your deco calculations will update properly...something to think about if you are one of those that pushes the Dolphin to the limits of its design.

The VR3 also works really well when you do eventually move up to a fully CCR; its constant PO2 mode functions as my backup computer when I plan a deco dive on my Evo... it's a unit that can grow with your skills and abilities.

Sorry to hear you've had such problems with the Uwatec Oxy2. Maybe I've been the lucky one. I've used the Oxy2 for three years without a single problem except replacing the sensors once which I thought was reasonable after over 100 dives with it. I, too, have a VR3 which I use for CCR diving with my Sport Kiss. Like you, I love the VR3. I was suggesting another option.

debersole:
Maybe I've been the lucky one.
No Doug, I doubt that. I still have an old Uwatec Air Console around that works and has been since I got it. Which wass about a month after the first one. In that the pressure transducer failed, giving between empty and max. possible forth and back.
Uwatec exchanged it without debate and even downloaded data from memory. Most of my OC buddies have gas integrated Uwatecs that have been working without failure for years.

Most everyone with a Dolphin I know uses it, including several people diving shop owned units with access to VR3, Explorer or Cochran Lifeguard. They all tried the other computer(s), some use them with their Inspirations, but with the Dolphin they prefer the Uwatec. Two shops that rent the Dolphin out only do so with the ZO2/Oxy combo, and I never heard them report problems with those rental units either. :wink:

More likely Camerone and a some of his friends have been unlucky ... :(

caveseeker7:
More likely Camerone and a some of his friends have been unlucky ... :(
It's certainly possible, and I wouldn't discount it; all of my friends with 'em are up here in the Pacific NW, and we all got them at around the same time, implying they could be from the same batch.

On the other hand, we've replaced them at different times, and we're still having failures :( Our replacements have been refurbs, though, so it could all be a late run in the production cycle. As I said, the service has been great; I just got tired of having to always use it:11: FWIW, we've had a few SmartCom integrated O/C dive computers go back, too, in the same batch.

I've heard Uwatec discontinued making them (the AirZ O2/Oxy2); the handsets are a couple generations behind, now. Up here, the shops tend to rent with the Drager Oxygauge. Reliable, albeit kludgy.

Oh, well - it's just not something I could recommend to someone in good conscience when there are better alternatives out there, such as the VR3, which works exceptionally well in this scenario. I'm sure the Explorer is also good. On the other hand, if it came down to that unit or no monitoring at all (foolish...), I'd have to go with the Uwatec.

You guys don't by any chance dry them in the microwave ... :wink:
(my brother tried that once with wet socks when he was a kid :D )

Looking among people I know there are owners of Uwatec, Aqualung, Suunto, Hydro Space
and DeltaP who had problems of some sort or other over the years. If it's man made it can fail.
Then it's the service that counts ... the above is my only good Scubapro experience in that regard.

Gene at Hydro Space has a very good rep for taking care of customers,
and Tami, DeltaP's US rep, does her best to accomodate customers.

Now Bruce will enter their market with the Shearwater deco computer.
He too has gotten good feedback from his Shearwater customers, and the deco computer looks
very promising and should be a viable option for RB divers.

In the end deciding factors are location, algorithm and GUI preferences.

Ken, I had my VR3 hooked up to my Dolphin with a P-connector , and loved it. The only thing I didn't like , was the wire coming down my arm. The Vr3 speaks for it's self. Everyone I know here that is diving RB, all went to the Vr3 set up as well. The only thing is, you'll have two sensor's in one bag, one for the Vr3, and your oxy-gage, unless you don't plan on using the Oxy-Gage anymore, but It's nice to have 2 senor's . I like one sensor in the bag, and one right at the begging of the loop, where the Oxy-2 normally mounts. A friend of mine is taping into the scrubber, and adding a sensor there. The Dolphin scrubber has room I believe between the mesh, and the scrubber cap, sorta where the water trap area is I believe on the opposite side.

debersole:
Sorry to hear you've had such problems with the Uwatec Oxy2. Maybe I've been the lucky one. I've used the Oxy2 for three years without a single problem except replacing the sensors once which I thought was reasonable after over 100 dives with it. I, too, have a VR3 which I use for CCR diving with my Sport Kiss. Like you, I love the VR3. I was suggesting another option.

Hey Douglas, pm when your coming over to WPB area to dive, I'd love to see that Sport Kiss, As I wanted one myself for rec diving. I weighed my Double's today ,
( set of PST 100's steel ) and with my whole rig, BP, harness, everything bolted up, it weighed 113 lbs !!!

I have to get back into RB soon, nothing like bolting up a Sport Kiss, getting hour's of bottom time, and I bet your under 40 lbs !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom