To split or not to split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jrock1062

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need a new pair of fins so I was wondering what fins you would bye if they were to be used in waters with heavier current like North Carolina any recommendations would be appreciated :D

I need a new pair of fins so I was wondering what fins you would bye if they were to be used in waters with heavier current like North Carolina any recommendations would be appreciated :D

Generally, if you are talking heavy currents you would not go with split fins.

:popcorn::popcorn:

None split fins!

A solid paddle fin such as the ScubaPro Jets, XS Turtles or OMS slipstreams would serve you well in a heavy current. Plus you can actually maintain a higher degree of control with your propulsion in a solid fin as opposed to a split fin.

Shane

For currents I would reccomend against splits- I really like the Dive Rite fins for currents.

I must be the only one that thinks that split fins are great in current. I have both the the jet fin and TUSA split. If you use the split in current you need to change your kick to a flutter kick and you'll find you have just as much power as a paddle fin. I choose to use the jet fin in places like wreks and caves (tight places) and splits in open water dives. So I guess I should no one fin is the best you might need two or three depending on your task.

I tried the splits....did the modified kick that helps them work.....and now they just hang in the garage. I like the Mares Avantis......

Here's my background, so you can evaluate the possible biases in what I have to say: I started in split fins, because I was worried about cramping. I dove them for 60 dives, and switched to paddle fins. I have done about 400 dives in paddle fins, and dove my splits for the first time again yesterday. Here's my take.

Split fins give you more power for less muscle effort, if you are doing a standard flutter kick. They somehow manage to give you very little resistance, but still a lot of propulsion. My paddle fins discourage me from doing a standard flutter kick, because they put up a lot of resistance and make it uncomfortable.

On the other hand, splits SUCK for anything other than flutter kicking. I was able to frog kick in them, but it was not pleasant. I could do helicopter turns, but they were inefficient, and I could back kick, but it felt horrible.

If you want to flutter kick into significant current, I think they'd be the way to go. For anything else, get a paddle fin.

Buy the Jet Fins with spring sraps (i've got a pair for sale :) )

Jet fins are the best fin for your money hands down, no questions asked. You will not get as much power/control with any other fin and for a price of 75 dollars, you cant go wrong.

Unless you have bad knees or super weak legs, dont go split.

Back
Top Bottom