To snork or not to snork, that is the question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alas, poor Alan!
I knew him, Kmarks, a fellow of infinite posts, of most excellent diving.
He had me laughing on my back, and now, how abhorred in my imagination the snorkel is!
My trim rises to use it.

(OK, you two are much finer mutilators of Shakespeare than I'll ever be....)

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, snorkel, or none
Thou canst not then be false to any dive.
Farewell, my blessing diving this in thee!

I prefer not to dive with a snorkel at all, ever. I always manage to grab it instead of my inflator and it tends to spend the whole dive smacking me in the face or ear.

Jonn's got a good point about having a snorkel on a shore dive because it is useful for swimming out or looking at a shallow reef from the surface. That said, I lost my snorkel on my very first ocean shore dive. The waves were big when we went in and only got worse when we came out. Not being a SoCal native like my buddy that day, I didn't know how to read the waves or take a hit from one, so the first 6 footer that clobbered me as soon as I stood up while we were heading back to shore nearly killed me and ripped my snorkel right off my head. I would have lost my mask, too, if not for the strap being under my hood.

I had a back up snorkel since my wife quit diving a few years ago (also how I got my backup computer), but I only used it for snorkeling on my recent trip to Cozumel. It didn't even go to the boat with me.

I prefer not to dive with a snorkel at all, ever. I always manage to grab it instead of my inflator and it tends to spend the whole dive smacking me in the face or ear.

Jonn's got a good point about having a snorkel on a shore dive because it is useful for swimming out or looking at a shallow reef from the surface. That said, I lost my snorkel on my very first ocean shore dive. The waves were big when we went in and only got worse when we came out. Not being a SoCal native like my buddy that day, I didn't know how to read the waves or take a hit from one, so the first 6 footer that clobbered me as soon as I stood up while we were heading back to shore nearly killed me and ripped my snorkel right off my head. I would have lost my mask, too, if not for the strap being under my hood.

I had a back up snorkel since my wife quit diving a few years ago (also how I got my backup computer), but I only used it for snorkeling on my recent trip to Cozumel. It didn't even go to the boat with me.
As mentioned, I rarely even carry my foldable snorkel anymore. But, no offense, grabbing it by mistake is actually something I never did. I didn't find the one I was wearing to be near where I would grab my LPI.
The only time I recall losing one was in Guyamas, Mexico while snorkeling in murky water in 1982. In my 14 years of diving I swear I have a bag full of at least 20 snorkels I've found. What's up with that?

The change in snorkel position from right side to left side happened sometime between 1985 (when I certified) and about 2000. (Not sure when exactly.) The old thinking was "all breathing sources on the right" so your second stage and snorkel were on the same side.

Then the thinking went "Uh-oh, what if somebody grabs the snorkel to breathe out of at 50' or so?" By having it on the left, it can be confused with the inflator, though.

I held out for a long time, snorkel on the right. I finally gave in when helping out with classes in DM training. I figured I should model it for the students. Do I grab it instead of my inflator? Yes, yes I do. I never was tempted to breathe out of it underwater though. (But that's because I was so ingrained and used to it being there. I suspect I'll eventually get used to it on the left.)

Snorkel? Oh, h**l, no. I abandoned it as soon as I could. I was actually pretty peeved during night speciality when instructor told me I had no choice. I was told SDI requires light stick taped to snorkel.

I only use a snorkel when snorkeling laps in the pool. Other than that, I’m not using one. Despise having that thing hanging off my mask.

Snorkel? Oh, h**l, no. I abandoned it as soon as I could. I was actually pretty peeved during night speciality when instructor told me I had no choice. I was told SDI requires light stick taped to snorkel.

I only use a snorkel when snorkeling laps in the pool. Other than that, I’m not using one. Despise having that thing hanging off my mask.
Do you snorkel laps for leg exercise-- rather than just swimming laps? Interesting. You may be too young to remember Caddyshack I the pool scene...…….."doody!"...."Spalding, don't touch it!"...."Here it is....It's no big deal".

Seaweed Doc, Yes, I did once (in the pool AND during the DM course, I THINK--thank God the instructor wasn't looking)--descend with snorkel in mouth.....

Back
Top Bottom