To my friends in the PPD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has been going around Facebook... as with everything else on the intarweb take it with some salt... or in a Pinoy's case patis or bagoong...

it does uplift the spirits somewhat though:

News comment of an American Dweller in our country: "I wish you all could see the amazing community spirit, charity and compassion in the Philippines. What I see happening here totally blows away the response to hurricane Katrina. People here ha...ve less to give, yet they are giving ABUNDANTLY. There is such a greater story than just the 'death toll' that the lame american media fails to capture."

Jag

Those Kanos got nuthin' on us Pinoys...er...uh....wait a minute...

Jag... how true. Our government's response to Katrina was disgusting. I hope yours is doing a better job. Of course the comment that you posted from the American reflects what I've sensed of Filipinos... a greater sense of community than what we have here in much of the States. I grew up in a small Midwest town where a sense of community was strong... and live now in another one here on Catalina where it is still prevalent.

Again, wishing all my present and future Filipino friends a safe recovery from this disaster. You remain in my thoughts.

my family's fine but they had to rescue an aunt and uncle in cainta. signal that day was crappy and my cousins were all in a panic for their parents' safety. they bought lifevests and a kayak to rescue them the following day. their printing business is gone but at least they're okay.

time to pick up the pieces and move on. if only we had more time to recover before the next typhoons hit the Philippines *sigh*

I'm curious about the fact that 'rat urine' is more toxic than other types of urine, just the sound of it sounds rather disgusting. Anyway, let's hope this next storm goes far north and misses you guys!

Jag... how true. Our government's response to Katrina was disgusting. I hope yours is doing a better job. Of course the comment that you posted from the American reflects what I've sensed of Filipinos... a greater sense of community than what we have here in much of the States. I grew up in a small Midwest town where a sense of community was strong... and live now in another one here on Catalina where it is still prevalent.

Again, wishing all my present and future Filipino friends a safe recovery from this disaster. You remain in my thoughts.
it's the non-governmental response here that's been truly amazing... even before the sun set on the chaos people were mobilizing when reports from the really badly-hit areas started coming in, by the next day anyone who was anyone was on one crusade to help or another...

the stream of facebook status updates is amazing

:biggrin:

Jag

Agree, Jag. I am very impressed with the way the people in the Philippines have banded together to help. I don't see that happening here in the fragmented US. I know Violeta has been issuing repeated updates on Facebook that help keep us informed here.

Agree, Jag. I am very impressed with the way the people in the Philippines have banded together to help. I don't see that happening here in the fragmented US. I know Violeta has been issuing repeated updates on Facebook that help keep us informed here.

I will have to disagree with Dr. Bill here, as to people being so fragmented, that they won't 'band together' to help. Many saw the efforts of heroic individuals back during the '89 Loma Prieta quake here in the SF Bay Area. And we all know it's only a matter of time before a quake of Biblical proportions will strike the Golden state. I sincerely believe most people remain 'humane' during these events and help their fellow brother. But as in all disasters there will be those who take advantage of others:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom