To my friends in the PPD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to hear that you're safe Jon, and Matt too. :)

Great to hear that so many of you are at least safe but sorry about the loss of homes and possessions. Hopefully everyone will be accounted for as communications networks get repaired.

Just posted a new thread moments ago but taking the opportunity here too; just heard on the radio they are looking for scuba divers to help in the rescue efforts in Taguig. Please pass on to the concerned club or group.

Thanks everyone. I'm fine, as well as my family. I got stranded in an office building in quezon city and was only able to go home on monday night. The flood was waist deep inside our house on Saturday and everything on the ground floor, was damaged, but everyone was safe.

Caloy, I must have been passing through a dead spot when you texted. As of yesterday, large areas in Cainta still had no Globe coverage. Thanks pards.

Sorry for not logging in earlier. I could have informed you of Matt's whereabouts earlier as I was in contact with Pinoy Scuba friends the whole time. I was in Isabela, Negros Occ from Sept 23 - 29, 2009 so I missed all the action. I was lucky our home in Manila was spared.

Sigh... Countless were affected. But it hits home when sooo many people you know, officemates and friends lose their home and livelihood. Any help will go a long way. We visited a friend on Tuesday and their most immediate need / request were the following:
1. cooked rice, cooked ulam and water - they have been cleaning and trying to salvage their belonigings that they do not have the energy to think of cooking, much less go out to find food.
2. ice - most basic pleasures
3. Off lotion - mosquito repellant
4. band-aid, antiseptics
5. medicines like paracetamol, ibuprofen
5. vitamin C
6. garden gloves and other cleaning implements
7. candles

It's also heart-warming to see the over-flowing generosity, selflessness and resilience of Pinoys. Nature is not yet over, though. Peping is inside the PAR now and will potentially be stronger than the last. It will make landfall tomorrow evening. It's predicted to enter the Bicol region so Western Visayas and Mindanao will be affected. So, to our southern friends, lets all be safe always.

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/
http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/fcst/pf.pdf

Regards,
Gi

Last edited:
To those who waded in the waters, a precautionary measure is to take 100 mg twice a day for 7 days Doxycyline, an antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent infection from rat urine. The generic brand is about Php40 per capsule. I waded chest deep the waters of Sucat memorial park to rescue my parked flooded car in the middle of a cremation which had to be switched off so we can escape to higher ground which is inside the oven. Stranded whole day there and overnight in a friend's home as the expresssway wasn't moving.

Not that I'm a doctor, but from my experiences in Africa and the Indian sub continent, I would think one would have to be on the watch now for diseases such as typhoid, cholera, and possibly even meningitis? Being that there is so much standing water around, I would certainly take all the precautions you could.

doxy is precaution against leptospirosis from rat urine that one may be exposed to during floods. not sure how its supposed to be taken. my doc friend posted in facebook that adults should take 200mg immediately and protection is good for a week. can anyone verify?

The usual precaution for those allergic, pregnant or under 8-12 years old apply. Please consult someone who knows(ie; a doctor) prior to taking any medication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom