To integrate or not to integrate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using AI via a Suunto Cobra 2 for about 8 years. I support other posters who recommend it; I like getting the gas data on the download; plotting it on older software and now using Subsurface with a color coded air pressure graph showing where I was using relatively more and less air is helpful to me. As for the RGBM algorithm; I've done several live-aboards with 20+ dives in 5 1/2 days and not felt unduly 'constrained' by the Suunto RGBM implementation, but its conservatism is definitely noticeable and until recently I was OK with it. A few months ago I put a Shearwater Perdix on my wrist; I'm downloading from both computers (and, again, Subsurface takes that in stride) and comparing the Suunto RGBM to Buhlmann wGF in my profiles and slowly changing my personal approach to 'conservatism' in my decompression strategies.

When you consider the Lynx, based on posts by others I've seen over time, I suggest two things...

1.) Do a thorough forum search and read about short battery life concerns, and some concerns about how durable the tray for the rechargeable battery option looks. I'm going on memory of 2nd hand info. here; never used a Lynx and passed on the idea when I read over some user reports. IIRC, the battery is not a common mainstream 'off the shelf' product.

2.) Be mindful LiquiVision is due to come out with the Omnix in the future, and that at least sounded like a big improvement.

I believe some Lynx owners are happy with their purchase; I'm just saying know what you're getting.

There are lots of posts relating to customer service problems with liquidvision. I had considered buying a lynx, but decided against it due to these posts. They appear to be common based on the quantity of posts. Most important was that a company representative tended to respond and basically said "too bad" in every case. For the cost of a Lynx, I'm expecting exceptional customer service, but it doesn't even appear they offer "average" customer service.

To be fair, they seem to have died off. Either customer service got better or people stopped buying Liquidvision. Possibly the latter, I've never seen one in a dive shop before.

Personally, I have seen too many cases where the transmitter loses sync with the computer underwater. I have never seen a pressure gauge fail. Do you not know your SAC rate? I dive two computers, but still have a mechanical depth gauge, so maybe I am just cautious

I dive either a single "Aluminium" 11L cylinder or an AL twinset for a total of 22L/bar; and my Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) here in cold Southern California waters is 22 liters/min.
Awkay. It is a tad warmer in the mediteranean, we just glide in there with a 5mm suit, so we typically do 15l/mn, and we use 20l/mn for planning. With either steel 12 or 15l tanks at 230 bars.
FWIW I just prefer to call that thing SAR. I consume many things aside from what I breathe on the surface. Plus somebody might believe I am trying to sell a Draeger if I called it SCR.

About that hosed PDC, would you say then that the Cobalt2 fits the bill for OP then ? In my experience, the Cobalt1 is good except for the gimmicky compass. However, it is also RGBM with no option to go for another algorithm, and I have no idea how it behaves with 5 dives a day after a while (I could pick it up and go in simulation but that would be a bit of a PITA to punch in all this. It is easier to ask RonR at the Atomic forum). On non-repeat deco dives it is not giving longer DTRs than the uwatecs, and behaves quite differently from the suuntos and pucks: slightly longer on the first stops, much shorter on the last.

yes, convenient. And maybe, just maybe, more than that.
Careful When Unclipping and Clipping SPG

clip to your shoulder instead of hip D-ring, not DIR but I think it's better. Or better yet, run the SPG down with the inflator hose/corrugated hose. I learned that nifty trick from @Capt Jim Wyatt a few years ago. It's brilliant.

296896_846516367440_213295_n.jpg

Last edited:
That does look nice for backmount. It puts the SPG almost where it ends up with a sidemount config. I might see about changing my rec config to work like that, thanks!

Left chest ring - a very convenient, and out of the way location....

vlcsnap-00002.jpg

clip to your shoulder instead of hip D-ring, not DIR but I think it's better. Or better yet, run the SPG down with the inflator hose/corrugated hose. I learned that nifty trick from Jim Wyatt a few years ago. It's brilliant.

Agreed, I took the habit to have the cobalt clipped to my right shoulder so I can check it at a glance before I go though and arch or against current. When I was doing rescue ascent exercises I also liked the ability to check the ascent speed with both hands busy on the "victim". Instructors around these parts are quite retentive about the ascent speed in rescues, and make us do a *lot* of those drills, so following the small bubble is sometimes not good enough.

I am always weary about loading the corrugated hose. I even saw some ppl install a longer hose just to be able to ziptie a knife to it. Not my thing. But I agree this SPG routing looks neat on mr. Wyatt, and thanks for the tip.

Suunto RGBM isn't a great choice given the OP's stated dive profiles/schedules.

The clue is in the name: Reduced Gradient Bubble Model.

It's very restrictive for repetitive diving, multi-day diving and/or short surface intervals.... autonomously applying greater conservatism (reducing the gradient) whenever diving behaviors are deemed influence the prolonged existence of those pesky micro-bubbles.

Dictatorial conservatism is good for less experienced divers, but I think that OP probably has sufficient experience to know what he can, and cannot, accomplish in his diving without getting bent.

For around the same price - $1429.99 (less if you shop around online) you could consider the Liquivision Lynx AI. Running the Buhlmann ZH-L16C algorithm it is much better suited to the OP's dive schedules.

If/when the Seabear H3 ever got an AI, I think it'd make a massive dent in the advanced/recreational diving market.

Agree with DD, I would also avoid most of the RGBM computers, which would include Suunto, Mares, and Cressi, they are just too conservative for me, especially, repetitive dives. The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt is more liberal.

The Liquivision Lynx has a rec mode with undesignated GFs. In tec mode there are only 3 presets, 100/100. 30/85 and 30/75. I prefer the ability to custom select my GFs. I don't know what the Liquivison Omnix will look like, it has taken forever to be released post announcement, maybe DEMA

Also at DEMA, AI Scubapro H3 and AI Ratio computer may be announced.

I've had an Oceanic VT3 running DSAT for 6 years, 760 dives, it'a been flawless. I have my RMV for all of these dives in the downloaded log. My backup runs ZH-L16C at a GF hi of 95-100 to match DSAT for rec dives. I have a SPG on my left chest D-ring. Fortunately, I can afford to wait for just the right new AI computer before I have to buy one

Good diving, Craig

Agree with DD, I would also avoid most of the RGBM computers, which would include Suunto, Mares, and Cressi, they are just too conservative for me, especially, repetitive dives. The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt is more liberal.
Could you elaborate about the Cobalt being RGBM but more liberal ? So far it has not penalised me even when I had shortish 45mn surface intervals. But I am soon going to bring it for for the first time 7 days at 3 to 4 dives a day on nitrox32...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom